Wiki Posts
Search

Team Br00d Racing Motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Johnny,
i would have thought 6.6 to 7.0 gear ratio for a monster is a bit too high for a 7secs technical track? especially on carpet where the motor gets a bit hotter...

Bosscat,
its not always true that gearing higher will mean you dramatically lose pickup out of corners...
especially if your motor is over revving due to your gearing and providing hardly any forward motion... hence a slower car all-round

but then again, that's just me..... everyone's different...

Old 11-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Bosscat,

I am sorry you are unhappy with your motor....seems I have not had much luck in UK! Seems no matter what I do, the motors don't fare very well over there.

I have talked to a few of my team drivers and they all feel your gearing is way off.......stock motors inherently have more torque than 19t or mods....so you've got to gear them that way with a bigger pinion. They will provide that bottom end punch on their own, even with the bigger pinion.

As always, you can send your motor in and I will rebuild it for free no charge in this case because I want to make it right for you...

Team br00d Racing
4529 200th ST NE
Arlington, WA 98223

Mark the package warranty return.

For sedan on carpet, I would rarely shy away from the stiffer springs.......

Later EddieO
Old 11-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

JohnB, its vertical cut down the center....

I never use the BJ cut on anything other than the MVP turd....

Later EddieO
Old 11-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

Firstly Guys thanks for the load of advice, I am not about to give up on the motor at all.
Johnny5 I resent your statement that I am rubbishing the motor, this forum is set up for the free exchange of information between racers and (fortunately for us) some of the suppliers all I did was to relay my experience earlier this week in the hope of getting a resolution to the problem!! With regards to your comments re the comm this is a brand new motor straight out of the tube.
I take on board all that has been said and will try some different gearing but do feel its worth pointing out that on our track Monster consistantly outperforms the PK2.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Hi Fellow users
Lets not keep on about the gearing bit, it`s not that,it`s something else WHY?
Because I can gear stock motors, trust me on this i run a x-ray also on 9.44 on a monster & it flies.

Now with this purple/purple spring combo?? that is the only thing that is different, my question is
Q) are these motors suited to indoor on foams??

we run on t27 rubber, & minipins slippery floor

Also the motors get to hot for my liking for the gear ratio they are running

And before any one replys take this onboard
Eddie has already got a private e-mail from me, so he know`s everything
We/i ONLY WANT CONSTRUCTIVE REPLYS not NEGATIVE`S
please
Old 11-19-2004, 09:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I just got my Team Br00d V2 motor to run this weekend, been a little while since I ran sedan, but I know this thing is gonna have rip!
Old 11-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

We run rubber on carpet here also....only mod runs foams.

Every motor I built at this last weeks race used the spring combo....I only use it on sedan motors though. My stuff had rip on everyone on the track....my guy won sedan stock using the same motor combo.

It's possible, another combo may work better for your track, so possibly try a red/red and see if that livens up the motor....

It's hard to tune a motor to work well every where....I do my best.

I've just never had a complaint until with the purple/purple combo and can't imagine how it would make a difference of 3 laps.......

The offer is still open for me to retune the motor....I will gladly do it at no charge.

Later EddieO
Old 11-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Now that's service!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Bosscat - What batteries are you running? numbers? how old? If your running batteries with a high IR it would all make sense. If the motor isn't able to pull enough amps from the battery then the batteries are the limitation...
Old 11-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Hi Edd
If i had 2 monsters sitting here & the only difference were the springs
On exhibit A we had the std grn/red
On exhibit B we had purple/purple

Exhibit A i know works at around 9.44 (fact)

Exhibit B;; now this is running quiet hard springs so it`s having alot of drag on the comm,but on the up side it produces even more punch,
To get the best out of this motor, would it be advisable to gear around8.9-9.1, reason is cause it might make good use of the low down torque?? yes;;or ;;no;;
I going to sort this out cause if i am going to bring the motors in the punters will ask me `what gearing should i run` & being a reseller i SHOULD have the answers
In a nutshell would you (edd) say gear your monster(exhibit B) 1-2 teeth(ratio comes down 8.9/9.1) more then a standard monster(exhibit A)
I feel like sherlock holmes doing all this detective work(hope it sounds good when people read it)

Fatdoggy
It`s not the batts, (look at my sig)
Old 11-20-2004, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

MR Jolly-I understand you have had OTHER tuned Monster's at 9.44 but Im serious when I say I dont care the surface thats just crazy.You need to be at least in the 8's and maybe even in the 7's.I have noticed that when motor's are that far off they act weird and you may have got some to work in that area but monster's like to be in the 8's at least with Purple Springs.
I cant believe you guys are gearing that high with a monster.I could see it with a Copper Can P2k MAYBE but usually not even then.
But to say we need to stop talking about gearing and try to blame it on springs or something isnt right.I will tell you right now it's ALL in the gearing,or his driving or his esc.I have had esc's cause problems but it shouldnt be that being the OTHER motor worked.

All motor's are VERY different.I can have 3 different monster's and all of them needing to be geared different even with the SAME brush and spring combo.It just happens.All motors seem to have a sweet spot.
Eddie with his motors,using the Brush/Spring combo he uses Im thinking you need to be at least in the 8's.

How are you guys figuring your ratio's?

BossCat- Can I ask what Spur and Pinion your running?
I seriously DONT think it's the motor or the springs at all.
I think it's all in the gearing.Your track is very tight with 7 second laps and your final ratio if figured the same way is simply off the charts.I was in the 8's on that small of a track with a Yoke.

On tires what are you calling MINIPINS and what are T27's?

Questions to be answered so we can help:
What Spur and Pinion are you using?
What esc are you using?
Are you using Comm Drops?

Answer these questions and then we can go from there with the advice on the motor and setup.
Track that small would LOOSE power with Red/Green.
I would go Red/Red at the lowest,Probally Purple+/Red-
Just because the motor has heavy springs doesnt mean you have to Gear that High to get RPM.

If racing today and you read this take the motor in the 8's.Try a pinion 2-3 teeth SMALLER than what you ran with the 9.0 and see what it does.
Maybe try reseting the esc when you do.Amp draw could be pretty high compared to other motor's your running.

I hope we can help you guys get faster with Eddie's motor's.They are the fastest I have ran and I have tried ALOT of motor's.lol
Old 11-20-2004, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Texracer
I have raced stock for about 3 yrs now, i can get into the nat A-mains, & finishe in the top 10 carpet racing(stock)
Ingnore the `leave the gearing out of it ` post, i was a bit hasty in that bit, cause it is in the gearing
I was just trying to point out that we have`nt just come down the `river Thames on a biscuit`, i do know quiet abit about the gearing side of things

The A& B exhibit thing was a guide ?we are useing monsters with red/purple-red/red
But no matter what spring combo they have i can make them go !!except now??

I do refuse to believe that the br00d monster is a dead duck & it is proberly something we are doing .`but this will be the second time with a monster`

Q)any monster that runs purple/purple should run a bigger pinion

Answers
A)96/18 X-RAY ft (1.77) RATIO=9.44
A)MRT VX sport & vega v3
A)No comm drops & no we are not going to use any!!

This track were at i have been going there for over 10yrs, so we do know how to gear there

Last edited by MR JOLLY; 11-20-2004 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

I am not very good with gearing.....so me trying to help in that aspect won't do much good.

A simple test though, try the Red/Green Spring combo and see if that brings the motor to life....if it doesn't, then its not the springs.

If the motor got too hot, then its possible its never gonna run 100% again......this could of been from a number of things, not just gearing. When motors cook, they can effect the windings, magnets or the comm......none are good.

And you should use some comm drops....Tribo is good stuff, even Mike Reedy uses it....

When it comes to building the motor....I don't do much different than EA motorsports....except I double zap the magnets(I have two zappers) and I check the balance on each arm and correct if needed, which he doesn't because he doesn't have a balancer (at least last I was told he didn't) and my stuff if broke in at much much lower temps with my SuperCool break in device.

Later EddieO
Old 11-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Tech Adept

We seem to be gathering quite a head of steam here.
Firstly to put you guys in the picture The club that Colin ( Mr Jolly ) mentions is the club that I run. I have recently stepped up my racing a bit using some of the kit that Colin now brings in.
I run a Yoke SD which as we all know has an FD of 2.353:1. When I tried the Monster I tried it on 77 spur ( 48 DP) with at Colins recomendation a 18, 19 & 20 pinion. As to tyres we either run Schumacher Mini Pins ( running without carpet) or we run T27's if we run with carpet. The T27 is a rubber tyre with a tread and comes in two basic types either 26mm wide or 24 mm wide which is also known as the EVO. I run the 26 mm tyre on 26mm standard diameter rims which gives a diameter of around 65mm when mounted using Yokomo medium moulded inserts. The schumacher tyre runs with schumacher soft inserts and its diameter is also around the 65 mm mark although it is only 20 mm wide.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

hey Boss man whats up? I.m at the gate and TJ got the cp. Will be practicing today and what ever else we do at these races, gota go say what up to eveyone at the smoke shop.
later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.