Search
Like Tree94Likes

Classic 1/12th

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
I don't run them, much if ever, but I've been toying with the idea more and more. But I agree, it's more fun to take them out of the box and have a look. maybe fix some loose wires, tidy things up, polish off some surface rust if it's there, maybe oil a few things.

That said, I have that same leisure car (shown above) in an un-opened box. It said "green corvette" on it. I saw what the red one looked like when I opened it, so I never opened this green one.

All the handwriting on the box was done at the factory to describe the contents of the box. Still legible nearly 33 years later. That's cool.
The hand writing is interesting,just one of those things that stands out.

Some olds cars you might not want to run,but old RC12s are a dime a dozen in America. Give a used one a go and see how you like it.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here is a bit of fun. I took a trip a few months ago and took this picture. If somebody can guess what it is I will post the rest of the pictures and tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-pic_0109.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
This is nice also,how do you run it motor an battery wise? Have you looked into RC 4 less wheels? I have been wondering if they will fit the RC12I without any mods.
I was running a 17.5 motor with a 7.2 2s lipo the tires and wheels are new old stock that I had, I Have tons of old 1/12 stuff new and used, still mount and tru up tires for the old cars because they dont make the 2 bolt rear rims any more. you can use the new 3 bolt stuff on the newer L pod cars by usingt the new 3 bolt hubs. But for the older cars without the diff side spacer I have had to use old 2 bolt wheels and tru up my own tires. When I ran this car we were running on an outside asphalt track, the car with the right tires on it could keep up with the newer cars, but with the 2s battery it was like running 6-cell mod back int eh day but with out worring about the runtime
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is a bit of fun. I took a trip a few months ago and took this picture. If somebody can guess what it is I will post the rest of the pictures and tell the story.
depends on the country. Parma raceway?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I recon its the old AYK Factory
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Here's a pic of my Fantom. I have parts for another one and have been tinkering with the idea of adapting the parts onto a Plazma Mk3 chassis because it has the articulated rear pod plate vs. the flex cutouts on the main chassis like the Mk2.

.....,I like my Plazma the best as it now has a ball diff so I dont have to search for wheels as often.

For your Cyclone I should be able to dig up dimentions for the chassis plates.If you want to cut your own. ..... Let me know if you need the plate sizes.
How did you get a ball diff on your Plazma? I've been looking to put one on my Mk3 Plazma for quite some time. Was gonna take it from the Axis EX but I didn't want to gut it for the Plazma.

If you can get me a 1:1 template in .pdf for the AYK Cyclone chassis, that would be great. I would love to get the Cyclone running again.

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Leisure 100se, Ruled Thorp Raceway in 1978.

on the box, it says, "first electric to break 2 minutes on the famous Thorp Road course".

You just don't get cool advertising like that today.
AKA Ranch Pit Shop. It was a great track to run on. Spent many Sundays there with my RC10L at that time. I still have that car along with the old school front end (non-reactive caster)
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-fantom-1.jpg   Classic 1/12th-fantom-2.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 PM
V12
Tech Elite

beside some newer 1/12th cars I have a RC12i (first version) and an AYK RX2000. Just bought an AYK RX1200 and another old car what both should arrive in the next days.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Default More Pics As Promised

Pics of:

Ashura
Plazma Mk3
Axis EX
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-ashura.jpg   Classic 1/12th-ashuraroller.jpg   Classic 1/12th-axisex.jpg   Classic 1/12th-plazmamk3-1.jpg   Classic 1/12th-plazmamk3-2.jpg  

Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Default More Pics

Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-vintagecollection.jpg   Classic 1/12th-plazmamk3-3.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

YR4Dude you have a nice collection of Kyosho`s

I will ask around to see if I can get the Cyclone chassis plate sizes from a friend of mine.He has copied the Cyclone chassis before,so he might still have the dimensions laying around.

Does your Ashura have Kyosho wheels on it? I wasnt aware that the Ashura mounted its wheels like Kyosho.I contacted Hirobro about a year ago asking about the body mold for the Ashura but they havent got it anymore.It is a very nice body.

I made the ball diff for my Plazma.Ball diffs are rather simple when it comes down to it. Most older Japanese cars use a 5mm axle so I can use my ball diff on a number of cars,the only real disapointment is it will not work on the Fanthom.So if the car has a 5mm axle and has a center pod it will work.
For me wheels are the hardest parts to get. I run my Plazma every week so I made my Plazma ball diff to use new 3 bolt wheels. The diff is a bit heavy compared to the gear diff. I really didnt have a problem with the gear diff,just the fact that wheels are so hard to come and the spur gears dont last very long either.

If you keep your eye out for a Mugen K2-X Spirit it has a ball diff that will work on any car with a 5mm axle and center pod.
Front axles are not really a problem, the RC12 upright can be made to work on just about any car with the right size drill bit.
I will post pictures of my diff later if you like, I havent got my camera with me today.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by reynard55
I recon its the old AYK Factory
You got it,if you look close you can see the logo still there. This is the office that was built in 1979 which is the same time that they released the RX1200. They had another building in a different area of town the was the service center. The service center is now apartment complex,at the old service center there was a small circuit,and whare house,but none of that can be seen now.
I was on a search of the AYK office and service center and both address are in the instructions of most kits so it was just a matter of searching the web. Typing in the address brought up a realasate company. The office still stands and was for rent.

http://l-777.jp/detail.php?id=16262

Japan doesnt like old building so I was surprised that the building was still around.So a day off work and a I was on my way. The office is located at the end of a one way street.It isnt in an industral park so that might be why it inst towrn down yet.
Armed with a google map and a scan form an old RC mag help me get there without to many problems.

Now it might seem a little strange that I would want to visit such a place but there isnt much left here in Japan RC wise. Tamiya,Kyosho and HPI have all moved overseas these days.As everybody moves to brushless motors and LiPo`s made in China there inst much left that Japan makes. AYK sort of did it all and did at home.Its one of the reasons that AYK is still big here.

So after I found the office i was amazed that the logo is still visable on the bricks. Compareing the state of the building and old magazine pictures I have it doesnt seem that it has been rented since AYK left. Many thing are still the same.Even the tile is the same as old pictures and is now starting to peal up,something that the Japanese would never stand for if it was rented. Also the $5000.00 a month rental price seems very high even by Tokyo prices. So I took a few pictures.

Now the big question is whats in the boxes on the third floor?Japanese people fall into two very seperate classes. You either have the guy that throws everything any or the guy that hordes everything.So there is a good chance that there is some AYK materials still in the 3rd floor of the office.

I am debating on contacting the realastate company to see if they will let me take a look.
Thats a very long post. Check out the pictures if you like.
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-ayk_02.jpg   Classic 1/12th-pic_0111.jpg   Classic 1/12th-aykboxes.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by clinehobbies
I was running a 17.5 motor with a 7.2 2s lipo the tires and wheels are new old stock that I had, I Have tons of old 1/12 stuff new and used, still mount and tru up tires for the old cars because they dont make the 2 bolt rear rims any more. you can use the new 3 bolt stuff on the newer L pod cars by usingt the new 3 bolt hubs. But for the older cars without the diff side spacer I have had to use old 2 bolt wheels and tru up my own tires. When I ran this car we were running on an outside asphalt track, the car with the right tires on it could keep up with the newer cars, but with the 2s battery it was like running 6-cell mod back int eh day but with out worring about the runtime
You are running a bit faster than we are, 2s LiPo and 17.5 is fast indeed.I like not worring about run time.
The reason why I asked about the RC4less wheels is that we have them here in Japan but they are not premounted. I was told that the will work on two bolt hubs as the have 6 holes instead of the normal 3 these days. But it sounds like you dont have any problems with wheels.

Bringing up trueing tires, if anybody has info on what arbor you use for classic 1/12 wheels it would be nice to have it posted here. I know of a few that I can share.

Tamiya F103 arbor-- ABC Hobby wheels,Front and rear
Mugen K2X wheels,Front and rear
AYK RX series,Front only
Kyosho Impress,Front and Rear

Touring car arbor-- Kyosho hex wheels,Front and rear,might need a spacer
on the out side of the wheel depending on what arbor
you are using.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by V12
beside some newer 1/12th cars I have a RC12i (first version) and an AYK RX2000. Just bought an AYK RX1200 and another old car what both should arrive in the next days.
Let me know if you need any help if you decide to run them.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I still have sp12-G2 from Corally. The rc12L club racer (graphite) was sold long time ago. $70 (AE) chassis vs. $200+ (Corally) chassis, I think I was faster with club racer lol. Actually, I was more consistent with Corally car and didn't make mistakes so ppl used to call me iceman.

I'd like to see some pictures of old Delta 1/12 chassis and magic carpet ride from Trinity (Joel Johnson's car).
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by superspeed
I still have sp12-G2 from Corally. The rc12L club racer (graphite) was sold long time ago. $70 (AE) chassis vs. $200+ (Corally) chassis, I think I was faster with club racer lol. Actually, I was more consistent with Corally car and didn't make mistakes so ppl used to call me iceman.

I'd like to see some pictures of old Delta 1/12 chassis and magic carpet ride from Trinity (Joel Johnson's car).
I have some pictures of the Delta that Joel Johnson used on his first trip to Japan with Trinity in 1984,I am no expert on Delta,but i can scan the pictures later this week. He beat alot of very good drivers on that trip,and had a big effect on Trinity. is this the car you are talking about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.