Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Hey fellas, I thought I'd share my most recent blog post, covering my TC4 build. Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.

theRACERunderground: Venerable to Exceptional 2.0: Team Associated TC4 Build Tips
you get a bonus lap...great write-up and good solid information. Thank you
cementsurfer86 likes this.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 AM
DMD
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Hey fellas, I thought I'd share my most recent blog post, covering my TC4 build. Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.

theRACERunderground: Venerable to Exceptional 2.0: Team Associated TC4 Build Tips
Very informative article. I've been running a TC3 for a while but, I might have to pick up a TC4 for a comparison. Any major differences between the two chassis?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Pretty good tc4 setup with all original parts.....
Bertrandsv87: There really wasn't a whole lot needed to make the car competitive. Just some selective parts and a good setup. No witchcraft was used in the build of this car

Originally Posted by DMD
Very informative article. I've been running a TC3 for a while but, I might have to pick up a TC4 for a comparison. Any major differences between the two chassis?
DMD, The TC4 was a refinement of the TC3, so there isn't a massive difference. A narrower chassis, battery more toward the center line, and an updated suspension and steering rack. The drivetrain was largely the same, which is extremely efficient. One of the reasons I like it for spec racing.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

I think you might even be able to use the gear diffs made by Yokomo in this car (back in the day, Yokomo SD and AE TC cars shared a lot of their design, including even imperial hardware). Look it up, they're very nice diffs and I don't think there will be a significant weight penalty over ball diffs.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by niznai
I think you might even be able to use the gear diffs made by Yokomo in this car (back in the day, Yokomo SD and AE TC cars shared a lot of their design, including even imperial hardware). Look it up, they're very nice diffs and I don't think there will be a significant weight penalty over ball diffs.
If that's true, that'll be news to the TC4 thread which has been hunting for compatible gear diffs. The tapered shape of the TC3/4 gear boxes generally interfere with gear diff cases.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, it's really an odd-shaped case, thats what kills it. In all honesty, the ball diff feels good in USGT trim, especially outdoors. The disadvantages really seem to come out more on carpet, in my opinion.

It also helps to build them correctly too. I learned a lot from my time racing off road this winter. I had no idea about break in procedures and what not until I started racing buggies.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
If that's true, that'll be news to the TC4 thread which has been hunting for compatible gear diffs. The tapered shape of the TC3/4 gear boxes generally interfere with gear diff cases.
Spec R makes a tapered diff for the Tamiya TB something or other. Not sure how hard it is to adopt the correct gears (from memory, the AE gears are the same as Yokomo, i.e. finer).

The Yokomo diff might still work, it is very small in size.

Failing that, I would check if the gear case can be swapped (if the bottom moulded in the chassis is not tapered as well).
Old 06-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

You don't need a gear diff, you just need a real thrust bearing to replace the junk Associated sold you.

Correct Size Thrust Bearing

And don't put too much of the white silicone grease, or any black grease at all, in the diff balls. This is usually the case when I see people who are racing pan cars and say that their diff is so tight you couldn't pull a pencil out of it with a bulldozer but still slips, lithium/moly/carbon black grease is not your friend in the diff.
THEBIGBULL and cementsurfer86 like this.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DesertRat
You don't need a gear diff, you just need a real thrust bearing to replace the junk Associated sold you.

Correct Size Thrust Bearing

And don't put too much of the white silicone grease, or any black grease at all, in the diff balls. This is usually the case when I see people who are racing pan cars and say that their diff is so tight you couldn't pull a pencil out of it with a bulldozer but still slips, lithium/moly/carbon black grease is not your friend in the diff.
Hope Bert picks up on this !!!! LOL
Old 06-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

I am still running my tc4 ball diffs with ofna diff lock lube(#10230) on the ceramic diff balls, and black grease on the associated thrust bearing ceramic balls with no issues at all... I still run the plastic diff outdrives(with bert mod) in 17.5 too, so I don't think the AE setup is too bad for the price....
All my mods still allowed my car to not be too far overweight(1395g) from the minimum while still running a 320gram 7500mah pack, and not traction roll everytime. I had to work hard for that, and I am very thankful, but I still have to find the correct setup to stop the chassis from scrubbing the carpet and lower my laptimes....Cheers.......
I will be running the stiffest gold swaybar front and rear this coming Saturday to see if that helps....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 06-01-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by niznai
Spec R makes a tapered diff for the Tamiya TB something or other. Not sure how hard it is to adopt the correct gears (from memory, the AE gears are the same as Yokomo, i.e. finer).

The Yokomo diff might still work, it is very small in size.

Failing that, I would check if the gear case can be swapped (if the bottom moulded in the chassis is not tapered as well).

The spec-r is for the TB-03 which is 39 teeth, it might work if you don't mind changing the internal ratio. A tb-04 gear diff is 40 teeth, but I don't know if it would fit.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Tech Champion

The gold swaybars stopped the chassis rubbing on the carpet completely, and I tried a lightweight sweep stc6 body with great success so far on the new 360v2 layout...The fast guys were doing 12.9's , and I managed 14.5 fast lap... I got lots of work to do, but things are looking up...lol....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 06-06-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

looking for new or used HPI TCX or cyclone TC dcj
must be 44mm or 46mm with 2.3mm dog bone pin
please PM

PS any brands( arrow,R-spec ,HPI 3racing Litemodz
Old 06-06-2017, 07:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Did anyone ever do the rally car conversion on their TC3?

I broke out my old FT TC3 and realized I converted it, but I don't have all the parts to go back. Anyone remember what was changed so I can turn it back into a road car?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:52 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
Did anyone ever do the rally car conversion on their TC3?

I broke out my old FT TC3 and realized I converted it, but I don't have all the parts to go back. Anyone remember what was changed so I can turn it back into a road car?
just look up TC3 instruction manual.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.