Community
Wiki Posts
Search

True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Okay i can give some insight here, First year at really club racing. Doing it all right this time around.

RC8T CE KIT 499.99
GLOW INGNITER 29.99
THREADLOCK 4.99
STARTER BOX 89.99
CA GLUE 4.99
JR Z9100T 80.00
JR Z9100S 75.00
WERKS B5 199.99
WERKS PIPE 97.99
WERKS PRO CLUTCHES ALL 3 150.00
WERKS TOOL 20.00
WERKS SHOES 30.00
FUTABA 4PKS 499.99
MISC SPARE PARTS 150.00
Old 03-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lilja
Honestly always thought that if youre thinking about how much it costs then you shouldnt do it.
It is insanly expensive and as other people said theres no way around it, not if you want to actualy get someplace atleast.
Ofcourse you can opt for a cheaper brand, and only replace parts when its absolutely necessary. But even though itll still be very expensive.
If you think its all worth it, which I do think and most likely everyone else on this forum for obvious reasons then by all means go for it!
+1

Think of it this way, it's cheaper than drugs and is just as addicting. There's alot worse things to spend money on in this world.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

In any way is it better to get a certain kit say for example .. a d8 is cheaper than say an xray but since the d8 is less reliable it will cost more in the long run... I'm not saying that's true just sparking that convo..
Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

To get your foot in the door good be looking to spend around a $1000-$1200 and it depends on how much you run how expensive it is from there to me tires and fuel are the most expensive part till i need a motor and alot of time you can find good deals on rx and tx and even a good used chassis but you can pick up a new HB d8 pretty cheap but i will say this after all the freinds i have made during the years i have been doing this and how fun it is its well worth the money to me.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jenson40
i just got into 8th scale racing bought my rc8t rtr last november at least spent 1200 since then
was that because things actually broke or were they all hope ups to make it a nicer buggy?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Depends on how often you race. The first couple years will be expensive. After that its pretty much maintence. Clutch shoes, tires, fuel, etc.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
not a hobby for the faint of heart ... my wife is catching on
X2
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This hobby is not expensive by any means..it is the most affordable from of motorsport racing in the world...... Compare this to almost any other hobby and its really not that expensive....I was into snowmobiling, now that was an expensive hobby 10K for the sled..2K on hoppups..$500.00 for insurance, $120 for the snowpass..$200.00 for helmet, $90.00 for heated visor...$1200.00 for riding leathers. $200 for fancy gauntlet...Then riding 5000 miles a year on a a machine that barely gets 10 MPG......And this is just trail riding, get into racing sleds and you spend a fortune more....

for what it is, and how much entertainment involved RC racing is extremely affordable IMO....You will not find any other form of motorsport racing that is more affordable... IMO the bang for the buck in RC racing is excellent...The problem is some people just want everything for free....Honestly compared to what we used to pay 15 years ago the prices today are dirt cheap...never before could you get soo much for soo little...... No RC racing is not free, but its far from being expensive....
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Vsfriedmugan
X2
haha you know I actualy did something a few years ago that noone should ever do that race rc cars. I estimated how much Ive spent on RC since I started
By now I would assume that 20k wouldnt be too far fetched although I wouldnt be suprised if its actualy more than that.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hell I wouldn't want to know how much money I spend on this hobby. All hobbies are expensive unless you take up knitting or something like that...lol and I don't ever see that happening.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
....it's cheaper than drugs.....
Yup! And I don't have to pawn my RC stuff to through the weekend.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Lilja
haha you know I actualy did something a few years ago that noone should ever do that race rc cars. I estimated how much Ive spent on RC since I started
By now I would assume that 20k wouldnt be too far fetched although I wouldnt be suprised if its actualy more than that.
Reading your post made me stop and think and I believe I have spent about the same. Kinda makes me sick to my stomach lol. But it is just so gosh darn FUN we cant help ourselves.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
This hobby is not expensive by any means..it is the most affordable from of motorsport racing in the world...... Compare this to almost any other hobby and its really not that expensive....I was into snowmobiling, now that was an expensive hobby 10K for the sled..2K on hoppups..$500.00 for insurance, $120 for the snowpass..$200.00 for helmet, $90.00 for heated visor...$1200.00 for riding leathers. $200 for fancy gauntlet...Then riding 5000 miles a year on a a machine that barely gets 10 MPG......And this is just trail riding, get into racing sleds and you spend a fortune more....

for what it is, and how much entertainment involved RC racing is extremely affordable IMO....You will not find any other form of motorsport racing that is more affordable... IMO the bang for the buck in RC racing is excellent...The problem is some people just want everything for free....Honestly compared to what we used to pay 15 years ago the prices today are dirt cheap...never before could you get soo much for soo little...... No RC racing is not free, but its far from being expensive....
I don't think its a motorsport comparison. There are some hobbies that are cheaper than rc. For the typical person, making under 50k a year with a wife and children, its expensive.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

With the price of the chassis taken into consideration what do you believe is the lowest cost to own over a year or two.. mainteinace parts and commonly broken parts cost.. Just cause a kit is cheap doesnt mean its unreliability will make it the cheapest kit to own
The lowest cost of ownership would be an outdated kit, where parts and spare rollers are available on ebay or the for sale forum for next to nothing.

Will it be as competitive as the guy with the [insert hot new car here]? Maybe maybe not. At a sportsman club level, I l think consistent driving and car setup are 95% of the equation, surviving the race is 3%, and 2% is the car itself..... You could still go out and have fun with a $150 roller, and a $100 backup parts car. (Jammin x1, Hyper 8, old Xray, Losi 1.0, Rc8 FT, Kyosho 777, etc)

If you're looking to be super competitive and want new stuff, I don't feel like one brand sticks out from another on cost of ownership. Just my opinion though. I'm sure others have had different experiences.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In any way is it better to get a certain kit say for example .. a d8 is cheaper than say an xray but since the d8 is less reliable it will cost more in the long run... I'm not saying that's true just sparking that convo..
I have found the d8 to be very reliable. I have owned losi, xray, associated, and mugen. I went with the D8 because of price being I have 3 kids and a wife now. I am not saying it is the best thing out there, but it is a very competitive platform even box stock. You can get a D8 a werks B6 or alpha combo so you have a little extra cash to drop on some nice savox servos and a nice radio like the 4pk or m11. That would be an awsome race package.

Last edited by morkendi; 03-06-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.