Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Niky_Freaky
hello,
i have some problems with my cvds the pin keeps comming out and i am putting thread lock and the flat side is properly placed. it happens only on the front cvds.
also can you tell me some tips on what to do before a race. What to check? change? and.....
thanks in advance
I´m using TOP pins, they have larger flat spot than Serpent pins.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Holmenkollen
I´m using TOP pins, they have larger flat spot than Serpent pins.
what are TOP pins?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buckeye dan
what are TOP pins?

TOP, maker of the Photon TC. I think the new replacement pins from Serpent are notched/flat spotted as well. Or take your dremel and make a flat on the pin.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm a big fan of the TOP pin retainers. You don't even need the set screw.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...der-Titanium-4
Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, here is what I have done so far. I put more thread lock and I made the bottoms of the set screws flatter. I am new to touring car and I need tips and suggestions so please give me some
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My first gen s411 had aluminum retainers that slipped over the axle ball. Dont know the part number but if someone does id like to get more...
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Serpent doesn't make them to my knowledge. The TOP retainers linked above fit fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
got to this race http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...rcar-gate.html any other fellow serpent drivers going?
I will be there too- good times will be had
Old 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for link. Ill be getting some. Falls apart alot
Old 08-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Niky_Freaky
Ok, here is what I have done so far. I put more thread lock and I made the bottoms of the set screws flatter. I am new to touring car and I need tips and suggestions so please give me some
I put some heatshrinking sleeve over the pins of the drive-axles . Never lost a pin since...
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Steve S
I'm a big fan of the TOP pin retainers. You don't even need the set screw.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...der-Titanium-4
+1 I had some problem on fronts without indents. Broke 5 or so until I picked up the pin retainers. No more issues since.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
On the front, I line the end of the bar up with the end of the ball joint. On the rear, I run the out-board pick-up (use a ball joint in the front hole of the arm, and then make up a link to connect to the roll-bar), which allows me to use the full length of the bar.
If your using the kit setup, you'll just want to make the link vertical, and measure how much bar is sticking out, then match the two sides.

Valk means to not lock down the two set screws on the bulkheads, as clamping these down will mean the bar can't drop freely.

I have a fairly lengthy process to setup roll-bars, but once done, it's pretty much fit and forget... This is all assuming that the bar you have isn't badly tweaked to start with, and sits flat on the table. A small tweak(0.5-1mm of rock) isn't a big issue, IMO, and I've never had much success trying to bend bars back, so tend to ignore that and make sure they are setup right on the car.
Also, this assumes that there is no binding elswhere, and all the arms are free to move, with no binding.

1) Mount the bar in the car, but without the ends connected. For the 1.4mm bars, use the 1.6mm holders (the 1.4mm ones are too snug, IMO). Then measure to make sure that the bar is mounted centrally in the car. You can do this off the bends in the bar to the bulkheads. Once it's central, lock down the centre retainer, so the bar can't move side to side. Check the movement is still free. You might need to cant the grub screw of the retainer so it points towards the middle of the car, as the collar can rub a little on the diff pulleys.

2) Next up, adjust the bulkhead set screws. Lifting and dropping the bar, slowly tighten down each screw until it doesn't drop under it's own weight, then back the screw off a little. When set right, there should be a small amount of play, but the bar should move freely.

3) Now attach the links to the arms. Make sure as a starting point they are the same length, and as mentioned above, that the balls attach to the same point on the bar (same amount of length either side is poking out).

4) Now comes the tricky part, which is setting up the bar to make sure it acts equal side to side. If you've followed all the above, it should be pretty darn close, but even so most still need a bit of setting up.
I use the "tap" technique to setup the bars. Basically, have the whole suspension built up, but remove the shocks. Now put a droop value on the end of the car you want to setup. I tend to use a lower gauge number than I would on track, more for ease of setting up (for example, I tend to run 5 droop on the rear of my car. For setting up the bars, I'll put this to 4).
Now slowly lift one side of the suspension, and make a note of when the other side lifts. I use a ride height gauge, pushed under the outer hinge pin point, and gently "tap" the opposite side whilst going to a higher number on the rh gauge. If the bar hasn't lifted, it won't tap, but when it does, you'll know. Make a note of the number that the bar lifted on, then repeat for the other side.
The key point is to get both sides lifting at the same time. If they are out, then you need to adjust the roll bar links to make them lift at the same measurement.
If the left hand-side lifts off at 7mm, but the right lifts off at 9mm, then you need to adjust the links. In that example, you either want to lengthen the left roll bar link, or shorten the right roll bar link.
One of the nice things about the snake, is that it's pretty easy to adjust the links by using a 2mm driver in the pivot balls in the arms, but you will have to play a little with the amount of adjustment to get it right.

Once you've got it right, go back through and check that all the arms are still free, and your good to go.

HiH
Ed
I just wanted to report back this completely resolved my issue. Once I went back through all the rod ends to make sure they were completely free and used your recommendations on the sway bar setup Ta-da!!! car runs awesome. Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

I just picked up some 4 degree c-hubs and not sure which way to put them in. There is an "S" etched on on side, I'm guessing that is the front and I want them tilted back. Is this correct?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tilted back is correct
Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Steve S
Tilted back is correct
Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.