Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Setting up for my first race at the parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Default Setting up for my first race at the parking lot

I am going to a race this saturday and it's going to be in parking lot. I have never raced in a parking lot, but other than a few dimples and some additional dust/dirt, it looks pretty much like the asphalt at the onroad track at my lhs.

so my question is: how much do you change your setup when going from parking lot racing to on-road racetrack racing? is it pretty much the same. i always use foam; are rubbers better on parking lots? i suppose i may want to soften up the suspension...

i know there are many factors in setup, but i don't really know how big the track is, how sharp the turns are, etc. i just drove by the lot yesterday to get a look at the surface where i figured they MAY be setting up the track. just hunting for some advice.

word!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: Setting up for my first race at the parking lot

Originally posted by packetdreamer
I am going to a race this saturday and it's going to be in parking lot. I have never raced in a parking lot, but other than a few dimples and some additional dust/dirt, it looks pretty much like the asphalt at the onroad track at my lhs.

so my question is: how much do you change your setup when going from parking lot racing to on-road racetrack racing? is it pretty much the same. i always use foam; are rubbers better on parking lots? i suppose i may want to soften up the suspension...

i know there are many factors in setup, but i don't really know how big the track is, how sharp the turns are, etc. i just drove by the lot yesterday to get a look at the surface where i figured they MAY be setting up the track. just hunting for some advice.

word!
it all depends if the do a technical track or make it a small track for electric,i ran parking lot for a few years and my set up was almost the same just made a few changes on the car, i changed caster,took swaybars off and ran softer springs,but we had kind of a rough surface also.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Setting up for my first race at the parking lot

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
it all depends if the do a technical track or make it a small track for electric,i ran parking lot for a few years and my set up was almost the same just made a few changes on the car, i changed caster,took swaybars off and ran softer springs,but we had kind of a rough surface also.
i know they said nitro touring, but i guess they didnt eliminate the possibility of running elec. too. the lot seemed relatively smooth. but at least i know have a starting list of things to look at should i need to get my tweak on. thanks.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Setting up for my first race at the parking lot

Originally posted by packetdreamer
i know they said nitro touring, but i guess they didnt eliminate the possibility of running elec. too. the lot seemed relatively smooth. but at least i know have a starting list of things to look at should i need to get my tweak on. thanks.
you can also ask "Initial D" on the 710 thread he should be able to help you
Old 08-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

For parking lot and the 710, you want to lock up your front one way if your running it. Also loosten up the ball diff in the rear. That should give you a good starting point. You can also start with foams and see how well they hook up. You can also ask some of the other racers or the race director.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

thanks! (i just about forgot to order the parts to lock the oneway!)
Old 08-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

you want to lock up your front one way if your running it. Also loosten up the ball diff in the rear.
This is a great set up. I took the idea from the local sponsored Serpent guys at my track. Now my RR Evo keeps up with them on the turns and I made my first A-main debut my first time out with the locked spool/loose diff combo. Works great and braking is mindless. And coming out of the corners where traction (not enough sugar water) was low ... no problem.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a solid spool for my ride so I had to rig it myself.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by kidDynomite
This is a great set up. I took the idea from the local sponsored Serpent guys at my track. Now my RR Evo keeps up with them on the turns and I made my first A-main debut my first time out with the locked spool/loose diff combo. Works great and braking is mindless. And coming out of the corners where traction (not enough sugar water) was low ... no problem.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a solid spool for my ride so I had to rig it myself.
Thats a good idea. Some of the guys running the serpent 705 were doing a similar procedure with there one ways. The only difference was that they used just the grub screws. They used 2 grub screws at 90 degrees for each side and no JB weld. That way they could back out the grub screws and run the one way again.