R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
Grinder's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,857
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MTX3 vs 710

I know this question has been asked before, but what do you guys that have tried both see as the best points and worst points of each of the cars, and why do you feel one is better? I am thinking of trying the 710 because it seems to have a more planted rear end than the mugen, and it definitely rolls more freely.
__________________
www.murnanmodified.com
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 787
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel
Default Re: MTX3 vs 710

Quote:
Originally posted by Grinder
I know this question has been asked before, but what do you guys that have tried both see as the best points and worst points of each of the cars, and why do you feel one is better? I am thinking of trying the 710 because it seems to have a more planted rear end than the mugen, and it definitely rolls more freely.
It is true the rear is more planted on the 710. It is true it rolls very freely. For me the 710 was alittle quicker than the MTX3. The options like adjustability, solid axle coversion, adjustable rear diff, easy to get to diffs, etc...etc.. make the car that much nicer. On the other side I find it lacks in steering. The 710 is not as tough as the MTX3 and cannot be made to take the abuse a MTX3 can. There are ways to toughen it up and make it less prone to breaking but not to the level of a MTX3. You can be the best driver in the world and it only takes one hacker to hit you and next thing you know your pivotballs are pulled out and you have a broken shock shaft. You are only as clean as the guy next to you will allow you to be. The 710 might have a slight advantage in my eyes as far as which car is faster on the track, but any thought of that is replaced very quickly when I wreck or get hacked. 30 minutes becomes a lifetime when you are driving defensively as to prevent a wreck.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,219
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: MTX3 vs 710

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
It is true the rear is more planted on the 710. It is true it rolls very freely. For me the 710 was alittle quicker than the MTX3. The options like adjustability, solid axle coversion, adjustable rear diff, easy to get to diffs, etc...etc.. make the car that much nicer. On the other side I find it lacks in steering. The 710 is not as tough as the MTX3 and cannot be made to take the abuse a MTX3 can. There are ways to toughen it up and make it less prone to breaking but not to the level of a MTX3. You can be the best driver in the world and it only takes one hacker to hit you and next thing you know your pivotballs are pulled out and you have a broken shock shaft. You are only as clean as the guy next to you will allow you to be. The 710 might have a slight advantage in my eyes as far as which car is faster on the track, but any thought of that is replaced very quickly when I wreck or get hacked. 30 minutes becomes a lifetime when you are driving defensively as to prevent a wreck.
rolls very freely,you should try the Kyosho FW-05R , i replaced my 710 with the kyosho and this car rolls so much better than the 710!! Just need a better and faster motor than the OS.TR(hint,hint Grinder)
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
gonzoY5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 392
Default

Cars will roll freely when they have an almost 1:1 internal ratio. The more internal front drive you have, the more drivetrain drag you have. The MTX3 has that drag feeling when the 16/19 belt conversion is being used, but when the stock setup is being used, it's pretty free. The 16/19 setup feels almost like a soft drag brake to me. I use it to drive on power deeper before a turn. I've only driven the 710 once for about 20 minutes and found the lack or steering intollerable for me. But being able to access the diff so easily makes the 710 pretty sweet. My times were definitely faster with the Mugen. Just my two cents.

If anyone's interested in understanding internal ratios better, go to www.sgrid.com and find the Art Carbonell Forum (Former World Champ and current Serpent USA Team Driver/Setup Guru) and he's got a great write up on drive ratios and how they affect your car. Really made me understand it better
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
FTSPEEDWAY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

ok an honest opinion...
The mtx as you know is an awesome car, the faults i see alot around here are the front knuckles and the 2 speed.

On the 710, the steering can be easily fixed (any of you who saw pablo run at the reg 4 champs can vouch for that) i ran his setup and the car was dialed, very little push at all on low speed none on power.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: TEXAS. USA
Posts: 1,219
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Wink

Go with the MTX-3 or 4
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #7
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,219
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER
Go with the MTX-3 or 4
or 5 opps (notyet)
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
gonzoY5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
the faults i see alot around here are the front knuckles and the 2 speed.
Yeah those front knuckles are hit and miss. I broke one this weekend 5 minutes before my A-main on Sunday. Thank god the director gave me a grace period to get it fixed. But what 2 speed issues have you seen? Just curious so i know what to expect. I assume you're FTSPEEDWAY meaning Full THrottle right?
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:30 AM   #9
Tech Addict
 
Ybakoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 554
Default

I am new to onroad.

Me and a couple of mates have been out doing laps.

I haven't broken any parts yet. Mtx-3

My freinds and there 710's need to carry a trailer.

Very durable..

MTX-3 Gets my vote..
Ybakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

This is like the Chevy/Ford, Honda/Toyota argument. It really depends one what you prefer. Many have success with the 710 while others have success with the MTX-3. You can go on and on for days on end and will never resolve this issue. Each car has its strong and weak points. What it boils down to (which a few have pointed out) is parts availability. That is one of the main reasons why Kyosho and Trinity are not bigger players in many areas. Just my $0.02.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:13 AM   #11
FTSPEEDWAY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzoY5
Yeah those front knuckles are hit and miss. I broke one this weekend 5 minutes before my A-main on Sunday. Thank god the director gave me a grace period to get it fixed. But what 2 speed issues have you seen? Just curious so i know what to expect. I assume you're FTSPEEDWAY meaning Full THrottle right?
Yup full throttle speedway. It seems like on the mugen the 2 speed will lock in second gear, sometimes it frees uo after a lap or two and sometimes it stays like that until you open it up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:42 AM   #12
Tech Regular
 
gonzoY5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 392
Default

Yeah that makes sense, If you tighten the center screws too much, the cam will over rotate and i can see it getting stuck. Not a difficult thing to fix though.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:14 AM   #13
FTSPEEDWAY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzoY5
Yeah that makes sense, If you tighten the center screws too much, the cam will over rotate and i can see it getting stuck. Not a difficult thing to fix though.
im not really sure why as i run the 710, this is just what i see and hear at the track
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,261
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by JLock
This is like the Chevy/Ford, Honda/Toyota argument. It really depends one what you prefer. Many have success with the 710 while others have success with the MTX-3. You can go on and on for days on end and will never resolve this issue. Each car has its strong and weak points. What it boils down to (which a few have pointed out) is parts availability. That is one of the main reasons why Kyosho and Trinity are not bigger players in many areas. Just my $0.02.
I agree with you, Kyosho is selling hell expansive in US, not to mention those cars from trinity.
Kyosho shouldn't let GP exclusive their product, GP has no part in any good car. I was planning to get a RRR but I saw GP htock no part for Kyosho's top car . now I stop thinking about it
Trinity fail to have their part available yet mark up the price too much, I have a G4 and plan to sell it after repair, i have a lot of upgrade and spend hell on it , but part support and the price is just MONSETR
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,261
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

You can't go wrong with both 710 or MTX-3, just choose which one you can get part easier.
If you have good part supply on both like me, just flip a coin, let God deside for you
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JVT MTX3 customride Chat Lounge 68 06-14-2007 10:59 AM
MTX3/R40 20 SMOKE R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 34 09-25-2006 01:37 PM
MTX3 rchopeless Australia Wanted to Buy 1 08-29-2006 03:32 AM
MTX3 jc510 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 06-18-2005 08:45 AM
MTX3 with Mr 12 Jackl R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 12-25-2004 08:15 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net