Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The driving thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thats funny you mentioned the elevation changes.We sometime race at Sheldons Hobbies in the back parking lot.They have an uphill elevation change that dumps you back down onto the front straight/sweeper.Its like a sling shot coming down onto the straight and I have seen many cars self destruct slamming into the timing tower because they push coming down hill will your in the sweeper section.Its cool!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by racenut123
Last time I had my Rev3 out there last carpet season I was out qualifying all the regualr Hobbyworld Mod guys with a stock motor every race day.And I know for a fact you can't drive as good as them.Try stock if you can even keep up in that class.
Then again. I'm just going by my eyes and the amount of times I piled it (none )....Gotta actually get out and time my laps before I can say i'm fast.

TC is a PITA Imo...Gotta as good if not better tuning skill (something I lack) than you do driver skill.

Yesh, Sheldon's cinder blocks can be pretty brutalizing if accelerate a little to hard out of that last sweeper.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by racenut123
Thats funny you mentioned the elevation changes.We sometime race at Sheldons Hobbies in the back parking lot.They have an uphill elevation change that dumps you back down onto the front straight/sweeper.Its like a sling shot coming down onto the straight and I have seen many cars self destruct slamming into the timing tower because they push coming down hill will your in the sweeper section.Its cool!
You see? That's what I'm talking about! You see, on your typical, flat courses, I'd say 75% is pretty much setup at the beginning of tweaking for the heats. After the first heat, you make minor adjustments; spur/pinion, tires, and occasionally, motor changes. I don't ever remember doing a suspension setup, personally. I can place a wager that some of you racers never make such changes when you travel to different tracks.

When I was racing at Fantasy World and Tacoma R/C Raceway (ones outdoor asphalt, the other indoor carpet), my suspension setup never changed. But I can bet you that I'll be swapping springs and adjusting suspension settings ( camber, caster, akerman, and ride height) if the track had variable grade and surface conditions.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

I haven't driven this track yet, but i will do soon, gonna be a local for me in a few months. been down to it a couple of times, and it has some decent elevation changes in built, including the banked sweeper... looks fun to drive

http://www.awmcc.com/gallery/picl08.html

Ed
Old 07-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TryHard
I haven't driven this track yet, but i will do soon, gonna be a local for me in a few months. been down to it a couple of times, and it has some decent elevation changes in built, including the banked sweeper... looks fun to drive

http://www.awmcc.com/gallery/picl08.html

Ed
You hit it on the head.......

Gentlemen, this is a track I'm talking about:

here is where you can see if you're really good......
Old 07-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Yes Ashby's a nice track to drive around. The 'alpine' section is a bit bumpy though. You'll see when you get a chance to race on it
Old 07-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

My son raced at the Ashby track 2 wees ago and won the U14 stock class. If you want a setup for an Xray EVo II I have a winning one!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

I have a hard time applying real-world racing principles into RC. For example, braking in a straight line and then accelerating through the apex. Sure, this is easy if you're on the track alone or have opened up a significant gap, but how do you brake for a turn when there is someone is on your bumper, just waiting to smack into you as you brake?
I can't stand the "dive into the turn and hang on for dear life" driving method.