whats the best and cheapest way to get bearings out of a 21 on road engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

whats the best and cheapest way to get bearings out of a 21 on road engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Default whats the best and cheapest way to get bearings out of a 21 on road engine

Hi people what's the best and cheapest way of getting the bearings out of rc engine without putting the engine in the oven.I have a novarossi 35 plus 21 engine. I know I can buy a novarossi bearing removal tool but is there a cheaper alternative.

Cheers people
Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I never bought a bearing removal tool but changed quite a few engine bearings. The oven really helps and is required for some difficult engines. Maybe you can find a used toaster oven at a yard sale or flea market, they work well for this. I found a set of brass punches that came in different sizes that I usually used although sometimes a regular punch of a different size was needed. Front bearings are usually pretty easy but rear bearing can sometimes be a challange. I had one engine that when I tried to knock out the rear bearing, the inner race and balls fell out but the outer race stayed in. Because of the case design, there was no way to get a punch on the outer race. So, what I had to do was carefully use a dremel and small chisel to cut the race and then it finally came out. It was a nightmare and I damaged the case a little but it didn't affect the engine. It ran fine afterward. Oh, and sometimes I had to use a bolt, nut, and washers through the two bearing to get them to seat fully. If you put them in and the crank doesn't spin freely, one of them isn't in all the way and you might have to do that. Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Lord

Most used is a heatgun or a flame tourch, when heated far enough the bearing will fall out by itself.
Put the new bearing on the crankshaft and put it into the freezer. When popping out the old bearing you can directly put in the crankshaft with the new bearing which fall in with a direct fit because the outlining with the crankshaft.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Another way then stated above. Used to install the distributer drive gear on a old VW pancake engine crankshaft, since gear was brass. Get an old electric fryer(from mom kitchen or a garage sale), fill it up with vegatable oil. And heat the engine block that way. It'll heat up evenly, better than a heatgun. the oil will make it easier to slide of the bearing and install, useing a mallet. 10-15 minute to heat up preheat first. Let it cool naturally, dont like to shock it by the refrigerator. Placing the bearing will just slide in to install if done correctly.

Another way of removing and installing a main crank bearing IMO. Either way you decide, do it in garage or patio!!! Heat from kitchen could be hot inside, and or the smell of it all!!!!

Slide hammer are available for a higher price. Kitchen oven or toaterovens is cheap but Mom or wife can complain!! lol!!! Heatgun 50-60 duckets.

Good Luck!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Most used is a heatgun or a flame tourch, when heated far enough the bearing will fall out by itself.
Put the new bearing on the crankshaft and put it into the freezer. When popping out the old bearing you can directly put in the crankshaft with the new bearing which fall in with a direct fit because the outlining with the crankshaft.
same way i do it,dont forget to wear leather gloves or oven mitts...works everytime..
Old 09-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyoshoevolvam3
Hi people what's the best and cheapest way of getting the bearings out of rc engine without putting the engine in the oven.I have a novarossi 35 plus 21 engine. I know I can buy a novarossi bearing removal tool but is there a cheaper alternative.

Cheers people

I fully strip the engine down and heat the casting with a torch.

Good quality cases have quite a bit of crush on the bearings

heat it up enough so you dont have to apply too much force to remove it. its hard on the bearing to press or strike on the inner race.

dont brinnell your bearings
Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

i do it this way. never liked the special bearing-removal tools. Works fine for me. In 10 minutes engine ready.

http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...ncept%20engine