Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography > R/C Photography
SLR/Digital SLR Questions, Comments, etc. >

SLR/Digital SLR Questions, Comments, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

SLR/Digital SLR Questions, Comments, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

C-Whit's ride. And thanks for the hospitality man. You run a first rate facility.
Attached Thumbnails SLR/Digital SLR Questions, Comments, etc.-c-whits_ride_small.jpg  
Old 04-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by munrath
va_ - Nice meeting you today. Nice photo. I look forward to seeing the rest.

Thanks,
Mark
Same to you. You guys were cool. Here's a pic of your ride. I will definately be back out to get some more photos.
Attached Thumbnails SLR/Digital SLR Questions, Comments, etc.-white_8th_mugen.jpg  
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

This weekend at 301 Raceway. A couple of shots.
Attached Thumbnails SLR/Digital SLR Questions, Comments, etc.-igt_in_sweeper.jpg  
Old 05-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I purchased a Canon EOS 400D, 75mm lense, funky flash and a Sigma lense, cant remember all the numbers sorry. Its a macro to wide angle lense.

Anyway, I have found this camera to be bloody awesome, although not the top of the range it is just great fro rcx racing shots and other sports shots, also takes great portraite and lansdcape/architecture photos. It has so many options and settings I am getting completely lost with it all.

Any shooting tips for getting great rc racing shots? any tricks of the trade so to speak?

It has some settings amongst a plethera of others that locks the focus onto the target whilsty panning, so the moving image is perfectly clear and the background has a very nice motion blur, but still clear. It can also focus on different sections of the target, up to 12 different focal points that can be set. I am getting lost with this function and was wondering if anyone could help explain how to make the use of it easier.

By the way Josh, get a Canon, can't go wrong mate, the things bloody unreal.

Thanks in advance
Aaron
Old 05-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

I'm new to the photo game but here are the suggestions I have gotten or learned:

Get low - This is the most important. I went to Wally World and bought a couple of beach towels. I try to lay down or sit on the ground to get the right perspective

Use a monopod for stability - a lot easier to walk around with and will help tremendously with panning shots

Find a place where the cars are slowing or transitioning (end of a long straight, technical section of track, etc).

If it is an open track or sportsman day, follow the driver that has just made adjustments. Most likely to not be driving at peak and can get some go "air" shots as then blip the lane dots.

And most importantly, be patient, have fun and get to know the racers.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:23 AM
Tech Initiate

So for a newbie like myself. Going to get offroad shots alot. I am looking at something from the sony family right now. H series like the H7 or 9. Trying to keep it below $500. Would those get the job done? I would like to keep it below $500. From what I have seen online. They look like they will do a fine job. So any thoughts from those here?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

sorry but ive been put of cannons as they make cheap nasty stuff. but seeing ur camera did raise the question.
ive narrowed it down to two or possibly three.
the big two for me due to price are the d40 and the d40x apart from the x being 10 megapixels to the d40's 6 mp are there any other differences?
and the third which im not keen on as it between 50% to 100% dearer than the d40/d40x is the d80 is the extra $$$ worth it im not pro and this will be my first camera period any sugggestions would be great.
im looking at the 18-55 nikon lens it is what come standard and until i know what im looking for in a lense ill use that. any suggestion or tips with these 3 cameras would be great.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Welcome to Nikonville, Aus. I shoot Nikons and I would recommend trying your local camera store or a reputable online shop for left over D70s or D50. The D40 is a great camera but you do lose the ability to use certain lenses because it does not have a motor drive, so keep that in mind.

Here's the questions to ask yourself:
1. what will be my primary shot/subject type?
2. am I going to use all the features if I go with the high dollar D80?

No need to buy an 80 gig video iPod if the Nano will do. I went with a D50 because the media (SD) is readily available and I have a built-in reader on my computer. There was no over-riding advantage to getting the 70s or 80, and I was able to use the money I saved to get another lense (55-200mm VR) and a tripod.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
sorry but ive been put of cannons as they make cheap nasty stuff.
If Canon makes "cheap nasty stuff", then why do so many pros use Canon?

In reality Canon and Nikon are both pretty much equal, each having their own strengths (Nikon's colors, Canon's high ISO) and weakness.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

ok so a d70 or d50 due to the lens motor.
what are the equivelent cannons?
also arnt the d70 and 50 the older models?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

The Cannon equiv is the Digital Rebel, I believe the XT is targeted to the D50 market. The D50 and D70s are "last generation", but they are still very capable cameras. And feature for dollar, I would take either of them every day of the week over the D40/D40x.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I agree with va_connoisseur on the D50 or D70 over the D40. Not only you're limited to lens also battery life. The D40 comes with 1000mah battery vs. 1400 or 1500mah batteries witch comes with the D50 or D70. Also the D50 has 5 AF sensors witch would be better for photograph action like tracking R/C cars then 3-AF comes with the D40. Resolution has little to do with image or camera quality; metering, color and usability is everything.......The
D50 or D70 has more usability over the D40.

Anyway, I just a novice to photography and learning something every time I pick up my camera. Good luck in your decision and hope to see some great photos from you!!

BTW- thats a great picture 403forbidden!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

sorry but ive been put of cannons as they make cheap nasty stuff.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=329268
My cheap nasty Canon seems to do just fine with RC photography...

Regardless of what you get, try to at least hold the camera before you buy it. While the Canon Rebel line has decent features, they're all just too darn tiny for my hands, and I MUCH prefer the controls of the xxD series to the Rebels. That said, Nikons have always felt pretty good to me. It's not enough to make me switch, though.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SoCalLosiRacer
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=329268
My cheap nasty Canon seems to do just fine with RC photography...

Regardless of what you get, try to at least hold the camera before you buy it. While the Canon Rebel line has decent features, they're all just too darn tiny for my hands, and I MUCH prefer the controls of the xxD series to the Rebels. That said, Nikons have always felt pretty good to me. It's not enough to make me switch, though.
sorry if i offended u, they are awsome photos and deffinately proved me wrong.
ok im gonna chase a 2nd hand d50 but i have 2 more hopefully last queerys:
is 6 mega pixels enough for magazine print? a local magazine never has good piks so if i get good ill help em out? might be dreaming a bit here
2nd ly the shutter speed on the d50 is 1/4000 and the d70 is 1/8000 is this a major worry? will it be a noticeable difference.
thanks for ue patience guys
Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

sorry if i offended u, they are awsome photos and deffinately proved me wrong.
ok im gonna chase a 2nd hand d50 but i have 2 more hopefully last queerys:
is 6 mega pixels enough for magazine print? a local magazine never has good piks so if i get good ill help em out? might be dreaming a bit here
2nd ly the shutter speed on the d50 is 1/4000 and the d70 is 1/8000 is this a major worry? will it be a noticeable difference.
thanks for ue patience guys
No offense taken... I just don't think it's in your best interest to discount Canon entirely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.