Like Tree1Likes

SLR/Digital SLR Questions, Comments, etc.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:41 AM

Default SLR/Digital SLR Questions, Comments, etc.

Have a question about your equiptment, or equiptment you want to purchase? or just want to toot your own horn or brag about what you just blew two weeks salary on? go for it!
Old 06-24-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey dude,
question for ya, i have a canon s400 camera and was wondering what setting i would need to change to take clear crisp action shots, it seems like all moving shots just arent that clear.
thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Wink

Hey Johnny!!
Read the manual boy!

J/K- I'm sure that Jpilone can help you out alittel but I'm thinking that it might be your camera ability. (a slow shutter speed)
Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yea thats what i thought, i couldnt find a shutter speed setting .
Old 06-25-2004, 06:21 AM

I looked up the specs on your camera...

put it in manual mode and set the shutter speed yourself, use at least 1/800 in sunlight for r/c shots..

if it's darker out, use 1/400- through 1/640 and make sure you use a steady hand.

good luck!

Originally posted by Johnnytc3
Hey dude,
question for ya, i have a canon s400 camera and was wondering what setting i would need to change to take clear crisp action shots, it seems like all moving shots just arent that clear.
thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Jarrod,
what does the ISO Speed setting do say 50 iso versus 400 iso
thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 08:53 AM

ISO is the speed of the film version of a digital camera, the higher the #, the faster shutter speed you can use (particularly for low light situations).

If you use ISO 400, you will notice your image has more "noise" or a grain in it.

if possible, use the lowest ISO setting to have the cleanest image. if in sunlight, use ISO 50 through 200. even 400 is ok for sunlight, but not necessary..

let me give you two scenarios for ISO:

1 pm in the afternoon, it's 90 degrees and in direct sunlight. for r/c, use 1/800-1/1000 shutter and ISO 100.

or

7 pm in late afternoon, sun is starting to set, still 90 degrees, and sunlight is not as present. Use ISO 400 and shutter around 1/500-1/800 (check image at 1/800 for exposure quality).
Old 06-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone seen, used or otherwise have any opinion on the D1X?

I am not interested in megapixels, I don't plan on printing huge files. I can get decent 11x14 and if I really need to go bigger I can use fractals so I don't need 8 megapixels (or 14 for that matter like the kodak).

Basically I haven't done my homework nor kept up with it. Last body I bought was 35mm and I am looking to pick a decent digital SLR. Canon is a great product but I have thrown in with the Nikon crowd not to mention I have the lenses and some other swag to go along with the Nikons. I have looked at and wanted the D100 (looks to be based loosely on the F80) and now they say technical specs have the D70 in front. I am not too particularly fond of the D70, it reminds me too much of my old F70 actually and you can't add a battery pack with vertical grip (it doesn't have the pins to run my SB28 either). So although it may be superior spec wise I would be more inclined towards the D100 over the D70 based on what I do know about the bodies and personal bias. I don't/won't have the cash for a D2H and that leaves the D1X.

Thoughts? input? Help..... ?
Old 06-26-2004, 03:59 PM

The D1x is a great camera, the D2H is also good (lower MP.)

However, a D2X is rumored to come about late this year... thus making the D1x cheaper!!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does anyone have or know if a Canon A80 is a good camera for taking action shots or its any good at all? Most of the pictures i will be taking will be of painted bodies but i would like to take it to the track once and a while to take some racing pics, any feed back on this camera would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
Old 06-29-2004, 06:13 AM

According to Steve's Digicams ,

"Shutter delay, the elapsed time between releasing the shutter and capturing the image, measured a respectable 2/10 second when pre-focused, or 9/10 second including autofocus time"

This means that when you press the shutter release, it will take almost one full second if you're not already focused on the subject.

So it may not be the best for spontaneous shots, but if you are focusing on a moving object, then 2/10 of a second isn't *THAT* bad, but bad enough that you may miss that shining moment when a car is on two wheels, etc.

You can read the full review Here
Old 06-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for the info and the link, could you recommend a decent digital camera for taking action shots for about $350?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 AM

Check out the Fuji F700,

It's in your price range and may be good since it has all the right shooting modes to cater to r/c. The only problem is the zoom, you'll need to get real close to the action
Old 07-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

I do all of my motorsports photography with an Olympus C2100UZ 2.1 mpixel camera. In SHQ mode it shoots a 1600 x 1200 image that prints in 8X10 excellently.

The mode I shoot in depends on the circumstances. When shooting drag races from close up (ie: trackside), I just shoot in (P) mode and let the camera handle all of the calculations to determine fstop and shutter speed. It's better at it than me. If I am not getting the pics I want due to dodgy lighting I might switch to Shutter Priority and adjust the shutter speed automatically or even go full Manual and set the fstop as well. I don't use fill flash as I can't afford a flash unit large enough and fast enough to eliminate dark shadows, instead I compensate for them in P'Shop.

My typical settings for bright daylight are around 1/350 to 1/500 a second at widest aperture. Sometimes I drop the shutter speed to 1/180 when panning the subject to impart speed. I don't typically use a polarizing filter as I think sunglare is part and parcel of a shiny paint job on a big block Chevelle or a Top Alcohol Hydro. Race machines are supposed to shiny and bright. I also don't like losing a 1/3rd of a stop of light due to the filter as well.

Check out some of my shots at http://www.geocities.com/kcactionphoto

Kevin
Old 07-03-2004, 03:26 PM

Sweet drag racing pics!

There's a nice dragway near me (bout 45 miles). I wanna make my way up there sometime in the near future and get some shots myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service