Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
Does anyone know if you can run the 52mm bones at the front with the arms spaced out 1.25mm instead of kit 1.5mm without them binding in the spool cups?
Originally Posted by hana166
I run always 1mm spacer with 52mm shafts, no problems to report
I believe someone I know runs 0.75mm on the front wishbones with 52mm driveshafts.

Skiddins
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have a question for those of you running the gear diff in the front of the car. Why? Not be a smart-*** but what is the reason specifically?

Most of the setups I have read where people are using a gear diff in the front they are putting cleaning putty in it. I have never used this stuff or seen it personally but in my reasearch people are using this stuff to balance wheels as well. Now to me that would suggest that this stuff is more like a real putty and would not allow the diff to function at all.

So, does the diff work as a diff at all? What does it actually do?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Regional Moderator

An almost fully locked diff will act like a spool, except it will have some give in the event of a hard crash. Whereas a spool, with the same impact, may break.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

So basically it is just a spool that has some give in the event of a crash?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

I run a gear diff in the front with OFNA diff lock running mostly 17.5 boosted. I find the gear diff in the front gave the car a touch more steering through the center of the corner as opposed to the spool. It gives a car a different feel, not necessarily faster but I prefer a gear diff then a spool.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mera'din
So basically it is just a spool that has some give in the event of a crash?
Nope, totally different, the diff still works, only a little bit. Gives more steering but slightly less pull out of the corners. I've also found its not quite as stable when going through chicanes.

Some tracks it's better, some it's not!

Definitely easier on the drive train though!!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a question for those of you running the gear diff in the front of the car. Why? Not be a smart-*** but what is the reason specifically?

Most of the setups I have read where people are using a gear diff in the front they are putting cleaning putty in it. I have never used this stuff or seen it personally but in my reasearch people are using this stuff to balance wheels as well. Now to me that would suggest that this stuff is more like a real putty and would not allow the diff to function at all.

I've been running a gear diff (with 200k oil) in the front as part of my carpet setup. It seems to be a happy compromise between a spool (that takes away to much steering on corner entry (and casued the front to skip accross the track) and a ball diff that would allow the car to rotate (spin) arround the front axel.

I'm planning on going to 500k at the next rebuild to see how it feels. I'm a little cautious about packing the diff with putty rather then really think oil, but I'll give it a go one day
Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I run a gear diff normally with 500K, 17.5 TC blinky or boosted.

For me its simple, its easier to drive the a consistent, good line and a touch more forgiving. What I may be losing coming off the corner I have more than made up for in consistency. If you are an ace driver, it might not be for you. For almost anyone else, I just think it makes the car easier to drive.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Hi Guys
I was looking at some Carpet Setups and noticed Few Team Drivers are using 350CST SHOCK oil on carpet Tracks isnt that too Thin? I reckon Its equal to 25WT?
I was using Much more 350 (35WT)...
What WT shock oil You guys prefer on Carpet???
Cheers
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

The putty is very stiff, but still allows the wheels to travel at different speeds under heavy load, many don't run ECS's with a front diff as there is no chatter.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yokemad
Hi Guys
I was looking at some Carpet Setups and noticed Few Team Drivers are using 350CST SHOCK oil on carpet Tracks isnt that too Thin? I reckon Its equal to 25WT?
I was using Much more 350 (35WT)...
What WT shock oil You guys prefer on Carpet???
Cheers
Are they setups for mod? The team setups for mod are usually softer/more lightly sprung than stock setups.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

I got my t3'11 put together with all electronics yesterday and I must say that it was the best build i have had to date. I recently put a tc6 together for a friend and the xray kit was by far the better build of the two.

So, I couldn't resit running the car up on my bench. I knew the drive shafts would chatter at full lock, but man, it sounds like the car is going to tear itself apart. Is this normal?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Do you know if Yok and tamiya spring fit in Xray shock?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

I got my t3'11 put together with all electronics yesterday and I must say that it was the best build i have had to date. I recently put a tc6 together for a friend and the xray kit was by far the better build of the two.

So, I couldn't resit running the car up on my bench. I knew the drive shafts would chatter at full lock, but man, it sounds like the car is going to tear itself apart. Is this normal?
Full lock with standard driveshafts and a spool will always create a lot of rattling etc.
It's far less noticable when running on the track.
The only cure is ECS driveshafts which are a lot smoother.

Skiddins
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Yes, it's normal. With proper setup you won't use anywhere near full lock on the track, and you'll barely notice, if you notice at all.

If it really bugs you, pick up some ECS shafts for the front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.