Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Guy almost passed out at my local track.. READ THIS PLEASE! >

Guy almost passed out at my local track.. READ THIS PLEASE!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guy almost passed out at my local track.. READ THIS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

There's no excuse for a lack of common sense. Something that stinks and gives discomfort, should be avoided if it's a problem for you. The manufacturer does NOT have any responsibility in you subjecting yourself to harmful vapors.

I have in front of me a can of Paragon Ground Effects, and the can reads as follows:

DANGER:
Contains oil of wintergreen. Keep away from heat, sparks and open flame. Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. In case of contact with eyes or skin, flush thoroughly with water. For eyes, get medical attention. Do not put in mouth. If swallowed, give water, induce vomiting and call physician or poison control center immediately. Keep out of reach of children.

Sounds clear enough to me......

If a parent leaves a child at a track unattended, and doesn't bother themselves to learn the dangers of the track, it is thier SOLE RESPONSIBILITY for any ill incidents. That is NEGLECTFUL behavior. That is nobody else's fault but theirs. PERIOD.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by The Black Kat
Wintergreed!? WTF? I''m not even gonna go into what it smells like but I've smelled wintergreen and wooo, that crap don't even come close to Pine Fresh
You might be thinking of another tire dope, but Ground Effects smells like wintergreen. My tire box reeks of it.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have had problems with the smell of paragon at my local track. It usually gives me a screaming headache. I personally think the crap should be banned. Other companies have stuff that works just as well and doesn't stink that bad. It would be sad to see a product ruin this hobby for many.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by 403forbidden
"That guy" may have already suffered physical injury.

That guy should be sure of his surroundings, if he isn't already. It's COMMON SENSE to familiarize yourself with your surroundings. I don't go up a mountain that has "Falling Rocks" signs posted, and then get mad when a rock falls on me. I was warned.

I don't know this person, and I hope that he is not angry about the situation. I would hope that he isn't.

If a person won't look out for themselves, then who should? I won't. As my buddy's license plate says, NMMFPB, or Not My Mother F**king Problem, B**ch. Makes sense to me.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

My local carpet track is a paragon track, in the winter it can get pretty bad when 50+ racers are using it. The first few times I raced their I got bad headaches, now I'm used to it. Hopefully the new paragon oderless compound will catch on.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Paragon is stinky crap and is outlawed at all the tacks that I frequent.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't mind paragon...
but the trinity zip grip and zip-free give me headaches much worse than paragon... That stuff has a severe chemical smell... almost like opening a new gallon container of acetone or laquer thinner for the first time.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Phatkat
You might be thinking of another tire dope, but Ground Effects smells like wintergreen. My tire box reeks of it.
I know it was Paragon...except it smelled more like a lockerroom
Old 06-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Paragon stinks but it works on carpet...works like mad. Niftec is close but not as good IMHO.

We're running foams on asphalt right now and Trinity Red Dot is the hot compoud right now. Bad thing is, Trinity changed the compound, not the name but the compound. Now it's some crappy orange stuff that doesn't work for $hit. Has most of us bumming the old Red Dot off a guy who has some.

On a related note, if anyone has Trinity Red Dot compound (with the black label) please e-mail me...I NEED IT!

Blake

Last edited by dr_hfuhuhurr; 06-20-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

The problem is that most chemicals used in "consumer quantities" do not have Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). A MSDS would give the chemical composition and warn about health effects. It is nearly impossible to determine the chemicals involved or the health effects. The problem with some chemicals is that they are "senititizers". This means that the more a person is exposed to the chemical the less tolerance they have to it. The effects can be as mild as a headache or as serious as seizure, but vary by person. I have heard of people that worked with a chemical for years and then became sensitive to the point that an exposure of a few parts (<10) per billion would incapacitate them.

So how would this affect the average person, if they are exposed to a sensitizer over period time and are affected by it they would not be able be present where the chemical is being or has been used.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

the smell of wintergreen is not a fragrance they gave the additive, it is the main ingredient that makes the compound work.
just because said additive is odorless doesnt mean that it doesnt give off harmful vapors. it could very well give off the same or worse vapors you just cant smell it.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Many of the guys I pit with have Skyline Chili or White Castle for lunch...you think Paragon smells bad!
Old 06-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

this discussion is as old as i am (36 years) and it aint going anywhere fast!

i pushed hard to have this crap (paragon) banned at every major indoor race there is..the 2 largest offenders are the cleveland champs and snowbirds..last year the promotoer of the cleveland race was forced(by the large manufactures) to allow it. they threatened to not send any of there drivers to the race! so he gave in and allowed it.. soooo it forced mike boylan (snowbirds) to do the same. the large races and there promoters are scared to ban it ..and when they do ban it there affraid they wont be able to control the ban..they say people will try and hide the smell and thus cheat.. i say if they can mask the smell than let them use it...paragon has since come out with a odorless traction compound called traction action..corally has jack the gripper and than you have niftech and tq orange..all very good alternatives in my book.. there are some guys who cant get there cars hooked up without paragon?

what can be done? i dunno..heck there are guys who drink a can of this a day at the birds and at night rub it into there shoulders!!! i cant stand the stuff! only way to stop it..is to have paragon not produce it any more..how do we do that? stop buying the crap!!!! it is as bad as cigarettes and cigars ...we banned them indoors? type in paragon on the search button above..read the stuff that has been posted over the last 2 years alone! some real funny reading.. i love threads like this..but in the end it's all waisted space..sad realy.. peace out
Old 06-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by volracer
The problem is that most chemicals used in "consumer quantities" do not have Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). A MSDS would give the chemical composition and warn about health effects. It is nearly impossible to determine the chemicals involved or the health effects. The problem with some chemicals is that they are "senititizers". This means that the more a person is exposed to the chemical the less tolerance they have to it. The effects can be as mild as a headache or as serious as seizure, but vary by person. I have heard of people that worked with a chemical for years and then became sensitive to the point that an exposure of a few parts (<10) per billion would incapacitate them.

So how would this affect the average person, if they are exposed to a sensitizer over period time and are affected by it they would not be able be present where the chemical is being or has been used.

The desired information is available from the manufacturer, all you need to do is call them.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

How much worse of a smell does paragon have than trinity zip grip....i personally never noticed the smell of traction compund, that is unless i am smelling it to see what it smells like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.