Wiki Posts
Search

Mod engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steve307b
Unless youv'e got more money than you know what to do with,(I don't) I think at most of our level's of racing a modded mill is definately NOT needed. Its been said before its the driving that wins races.
ya but you have never pulled the trigger on a bad a$$ .28
going left that will make you
Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

The question that I've always had was what do engine modders know that the engine designers don't? Some people make their living designing engines. They can set the port and crank timing to whatever they want. Polishing, fang marks and turbo cuts are of minimual help, so what's the deal? Seems to me that there would always be a tradeoff between power and mileage. Yet most modders promise more power and more mileage. Sounds impossible to me. Smoother power or a different power band, but the claims of many modders seem all too good to be true. If it can be done by a modder, it can be done with the original engine design. BTW, I do have a clocked C6.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Of course the engine mods could be done at the factory....However they are not......... You haters can say whatever you want, I have hundreds of happy customers who will tell you i have delivered 100% what I claimed I would....Yessir, more power and more runtime ! I even have a dyno so I can validate the increased HP... The runtime results are easily verified by reading all my customer reviews over the years.....I challenge anyone to find a faster, more powerful more efficient stock engine then my modified JPX or Modified B5........ The B5 has a dyno proven 44% increase in HP over stock and will pit 10 minutes with ease, some guys getting as much as 14 minutes on a tank...The stock JPX is known to be a fuel hog, yet all my modifieds are getting nearly 11 minutes per tank and showing a 35% increase over stock HP.........So in the end if I am given a opportunity to prove myself I will gladly take it...buy the fastest off the shelf engine you can, and I will beat it !
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I have seen some crazy fast and some sluggish modded engine. Some even getting crazy mileage, while ripping all out around the track. Now I want to know is it the modding thats getting the longer run times or is it the its tuned or a combo of both. Im also sure the pipe, manifold and fuel also play a part in this also. I can say this I truly like how Trinity pipe run on Picco, but thats just me it seems to fit my driving style.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by koopesv
I have seen some crazy fast and some sluggish modded engine. Some even getting crazy mileage, while ripping all out around the track. Now I want to know is it the modding thats getting the longer run times or is it the its tuned or a combo of both. Im also sure the pipe, manifold and fuel also play a part in this also. I can say this I truly like how Trinity pipe run on Picco, but thats just me it seems to fit my driving style.
The only time I see any of my engines sluggish is when someone installs a Fiorini slider on it ! nothing kills bottom end worse then that clutch....

I will say tho that the modifieds can be more sensitive to setup...plug/pipe/fuel/clutch all have to match what the engine has been tuned for....
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Thanks a lot for your info its been helpful. I just dont understand why some people just dont take the time to tune and test. This hobby is great and needs a lot of your time, some people dont even properly clean or maintain there cars and trucks. Then complain when it doesnt perform.

Im not saying any of you dont take care of there stuff, not trying upset anyone.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I've always heard good things about Clockworks (Works B5/6) and Houstons engine service (Novarossi). Ed Bridges over at EB Mods is a name I'm hearing more and more. As a matter of fact he ran with us this weekend and I should've gone over and talked to him.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

who here that HAVE a SO cool modded engine that actually used it to WIN a BIG race? IMO -

If your not winning, whats the point of a modded engine. I have had a couple that I use to bash with, but REAL racing with 50-60 entries I dont see the point. My stock engines are smoother and have enough power to hit any jump I need. Its way easier to drive with my stock which in the long run, makes me a better driver. I see guys with so much power that they hit every inch of pipe on the track. And the next thing they say is I can get 27.5 mins per tank. It does not matter if your on your lid 1/2 the race... Dont get me wrong I think modded engines are cool with the amount of power you can get out of these things, I just dont see the practicality of them in racing.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by token
who here that HAVE a SO cool modded engine that actually used it to WIN a BIG race? IMO -

If your not winning, whats the point of a modded engine. I have had a couple that I use to bash with, but REAL racing with 50-60 entries I dont see the point. My stock engines are smoother and have enough power to hit any jump I need. Its way easier to drive with my stock which in the long run, makes me a better driver. I see guys with so much power that they hit every inch of pipe on the track. And the next thing they say is I can get 27.5 mins per tank. It does not matter if your on your lid 1/2 the race... Dont get me wrong I think modded engines are cool with the amount of power you can get out of these things, I just dont see the practicality of them in racing.
Till one of us modding companies gets large enough to hire a top tier driver your not going to see any of us winning the big races...... However give me the bankroll to hire the right drivers and you would be seeing the CRE logo all over NeoBuggy just like every other big buck company...... Gotta pay to win ! and till you afford to pay, you wont win.........The lack of modified engines in the major leagues has nothing at all to do with he engines being modified or not, it has to do with who can afford the drivers and who cannot afford the drivers and not much more then that !

Now if you want to talk club level racing then we are winning plenty of races all over the world....
Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Prophet

+ 1 espially at a club level, a lot of guys cant handle all that power and just crash most of time . while im passing them with my rb s5 lol

its all about the driver.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

this is well said... and i agree with it...

me i use RBmods for my engines... i've tried others.. and they work great.. Rick is very knowledgable on every engine he does.. so is every modder i talked to.. its just a preference... and Rick made a difference in my Nova's.. i test engines stock and modded... everyrthing else being the same... and i see a difference in my RBmod.. over the stock.. i've never tested a stock vs CRE but the JL CRE runs great.. a bit sensitive to temp and changes... AB mod race mod really smoothen out my 18tz (jus a lil to smoothe for me) and gave me more runtimes... Never had good luck with EB engines... and i haven't tried the rest.... its all preference my friend.. just pick one and see what it does for you
Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do any of you actually think that the engines that Drake (for example) runs are NOT modified?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jed the Geezer
Do any of you actually think that the engines that Drake (for example) runs are NOT modified?
you know drake does.. his Rossi has a riveted back plate
Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kgombe
you know drake does.. his Rossi has a riveted back plate
Once again , the nova team driver engines are riveted to insure that the engine is not taken apart and modified in anyway!!! There were issues with this some years back . There might be a part or two being tested inside those engines but they are not what you would consider "modified" , I don't know why but I hate that word
Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes I know for a fact that you can buy the 2010 engines that he counts on for big races. There are plenty of test engines that get run during the week and at the local level but when it comes down to it you will rely on something that is repeatable.

This is not to say modded engines are not fast, or cool or even right for plenty of racers. But like I said it all has to be repeatable, so you can count on the same power time and time again.
What the top drivers do have at their disposal is the quantity of engines I quanty Drake among others will have multiple engines all with the same set ups on them for the worlds, nationals, etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.