Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Those black SpeedMind wheels bear a distinct resemblance to the Exotek wheels.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were simply rebrands from the same OEM...
There was a stink a while back with the release of the Racers Edge Enduro (HobbyPro) which came with what appeared to be copies of J Concepts tires, but after contacting Jason Ruona, he confirmed that HobbyPro is one of his distributors.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Hi I'm new to the usgt class of racing, and have purchased and set up a shumacher mi1 v2 to get going. I wanted to know what body you guys run On a 190mm car, and what rims/ hexes you used to get the wheel wells filled out.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sc10pc
Hi I'm new to the usgt class of racing, and have purchased and set up a shumacher mi1 v2 to get going. I wanted to know what body you guys run On a 190mm car, and what rims/ hexes you used to get the wheel wells filled out.
Thanks,
Chris

Here is a list of bodies used in the A mains from 2 large events I posted before. This should show that there is not 1 or 2 bodies that people use like 17.5. The body is up to you really. Some of the ones listed below are 200mm (corvette and mclaren for example.) I would recommend running 24mm rims with 0 offset. That seems to be the norm. Most of the people I have seen even run this with a 200mm bodies. The wheels area bit tucked in but it looks fine IMO. I don't know of any of the "fast guys" running the spec tires on a 26mm rim. I am not saying you can't, but it might make it harder to get your car to handle right if you do. Plus side is you have more rims to choose from with 26mm.

Originally Posted by Travis S
A lot of different bodies will work fine. Here are the last 2 big races and the bodies used in the A's.

Round 1 of the Triple Crown Scale Nationals in Nashville: (40+ cars)

1. Corvette
2. MRS
3. 350z
4. NSX
5. 350z
6. NSX
7. Mclaren f1
8. ??
9. Mclaren f1
10. Corvette

Round 2 in Fort Wayne (30-40 Cars)
1. NSX
2. Corvette
3. Shaken 408R
4. McLaren F1
5. McLaren F1
6. 350z
7. McLaren F1
8. BMW M3
9. ?
10. Nissan GTR
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Ok everyone, I've done a lot of searching through this thread, but I still have a few questions that I need answers. These may sound goofy, but I'm pretty serious.

1. Meaning of USGT.... United States Grand Touring? I only ask, because one would assume the "US" stands for United States, and it's weird to see Japanese cars in a US class....
2. Handling characteristics between the 190mm and 200mm bodies, are there benefits to either, or is it based on personal preference?
3. Is it blinky 21.5 or open 21.5?

I could ask a million more questions because I'm still new to onroad, but I'm doing my best to search for the answers, so please bare with me.

Also, has anyone had an issue with the ZL1 body? I mounted one today to my DETC410, uncut still, and it looks like I'd be cutting most, if not all of the ground effects and front splitter off to make body clearance. Make sense? As much as I love the body, it's almost making me think of getting another body to not have a hassle in front of me.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
I wouldn't be surprised if they were simply rebrands from the same OEM...
There was a stink a while back with the release of the Racers Edge Enduro (HobbyPro) which came with what appeared to be copies of J Concepts tires, but after contacting Jason Ruona, he confirmed that HobbyPro is one of his distributors.
Hi, Shared molds but different nylon. Theirs are fiber reinforced while ours is Exotek only specs softer nylon with no fibers for better traction.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by The One They Call Dirty
Ok everyone, I've done a lot of searching through this thread, but I still have a few questions that I need answers. These may sound goofy, but I'm pretty serious.

1. Meaning of USGT.... United States Grand Touring? I only ask, because one would assume the "US" stands for United States, and it's weird to see Japanese cars in a US class....
2. Handling characteristics between the 190mm and 200mm bodies, are there benefits to either, or is it based on personal preference?

I could ask a million more questions because I'm still new to onroad, but I'm doing my best to search for the answers, so please bare with me.

Also, has anyone had an issue with the ZL1 body? I mounted one today to my DETC410, uncut still, and it looks like I'd be cutting most, if not all of the ground effects and front splitter off to make body clearance. Make sense? As much as I love the body, it's almost making me think of getting another body to not have a hassle in front of me.
I run the class occasionally with Robk and the rest of the bunch at Harbor Hobbies.

1) Don't get hung up on the name. The whole thing started as RCGT with 17.5's and then they broke off to form USGT. I've never seen anything anywhere about US bodies vs Asian vs EU. Find one you like and run it.
2) 190 v 200, personal preference I suppose. There are some bodies that are better than others. I run a 200mm Mclaren F1 that I've had for 3 years when I run the class.
3) blinky

Do not cut the splitter or ground effects off. They are very important to the handling. Not sure what you mean by body clearance.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Doh! Beat me to the response...

1. Not weird at all. Non-U.S. makes have competed in GT classes in north America since the inception of sports car racing.

2. Personal preference. For me, I like the way 190 mm bodies and chassis widths feel more so than 200 mm.

3. Blinky, but your local club might not follow USGT to the T in this regard.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mikel33
I run the class occasionally with Robk and the rest of the bunch at Harbor Hobbies.

1) Don't get hung up on the name. The whole thing started as RCGT with 17.5's and then they broke off to form USGT. I've never seen anything anywhere about US bodies vs Asian vs EU. Find one you like and run it.
2) 190 v 200, personal preference I suppose. There are some bodies that are better than others. I run a 200mm Mclaren F1 that I've had for 3 years when I run the class.
3) blinky

Do not cut the splitter or ground effects off. They are very important to the handling. Not sure what you mean by body clearance.
Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Doh! Beat me to the response...

1. Not weird at all. Non-U.S. makes have competed in GT classes in north America since the inception of sports car racing.

2. Personal preference. For me, I like the way 190 mm bodies and chassis widths feel more so than 200 mm.

3. Blinky, but your local club might not follow USGT to the T in this regard.
Thanks for the responses. I'm fascinated by the class, they look so cool and very fun to drive. I've already purchased all the goods I need, just debating on a body right now. I'd like to stick to 190mm, just feel it looks better.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the responses. I'm fascinated by the class, they look so cool and very fun to drive. I've already purchased all the goods I need, just debating on a body right now. I'd like to stick to 190mm, just feel it looks better.
Talk to Rich or Ken about the Camaro next time your up befor you trim to lower body section. They can show you how to get it mounted properly
Old 04-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Talk to Rich or Ken about the Camaro next time your up befor you trim to lower body section. They can show you how to get it mounted properly
Will do Eric. I know I've gotten opinions from you and Kevin K, just looking for a bit more public info, preferences and whatnot. It's always nice and good to know what other people are using across the country, see what works in what applications.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Hi, Shared molds but different nylon. Theirs are fiber reinforced while ours is Exotek only specs softer nylon with no fibers for better traction.
thanks for the reply... that's interesting how you feel that softer plastic yields better traction. I've also been running GT8 as well and I've found harder wheels to provide better traction for me in that class (i.e. Sweep ROK's). I've actually started trying to find different brands of wheels that are specifically more firm with the understanding that wheel flex was bad for traction, is there a difference between 1/8 and 1/10 wheels that I'm missing? Or perhaps having more flex is a concern for durability? There is definitely a trade off with the ROK wheels which crumble like porcelain if you tap a board too hard
Old 04-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks to Mike and Exotek for not just slapping your name on someone else's wheel.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

No problem
It's like apple to oranges. 1/10 sedan is much much lighter then the 1/8. Softer wheels is like running softer inserts which creates a larger tire contact patch so maybe the 1/8 cars are passing the optimal flex range due to the greater loads. But note our wheels aren't too soft. They are just softer then what the wheel might have been if it had nylon with fibers so I would say they are now just right for electric sedan.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am not sure that I understand you here. Are the body post too short? Are you trying to set it so low that you have to shave all the ground effects off the bottom?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I am not sure that I understand you here. Are the body post too short? Are you trying to set it so low that you have to shave all the ground effects off the bottom?
I have brand new posts. The top of the wheel is at the cut line and the ground effects hang lower than the chassis. the body is still unpainted and not trimmed so maybe it's an allusion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.