Wiki Posts
Search

MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

dave,

Also, do you have an idea what the team kit will include as well as the fully loaded kit?
Old 05-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

the car as a whole is pretty durable,havent found anything to be a weak link as yet.

as for specs of the pro kit i have no info as yet,as soon as i know i will post the information.

dave
Old 05-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Tech Legend

Dave.

Thanks. Here is a quick overview of the thoughts by a buyer who posted on another forum about the vehicle:

I recently purchased an Academy buggy also from MRC, but I'd have to say that I'm not entirely satisfied with its quality. Don't get me wrong -- for $199 it is an awesome value, but you do get what you pay for.

The plastic for the arms is the shiny tamiya type -- not anywhere like a Losi or Associated composite arm. In fact, not even like a Kyosho arm. The diff rings don't fit that well onto the outdrives. Some gears (made of the same tamiyta material) require you to "pop" out the center section, possibly warping them in the process.

The motor mount is probably the worst because it's die cast, not machined (a machined one IS available). So the mount and the motor mounting plate kinda looks like the underchassis of a matchbox car, dingy dirty with soft edges and burrs.

Again, for the price it's awesome. It's also a great candidate to finally create a 4wd push at the local track. But if you're precise like me and want your machine to be flawless, this car isn't for you -- the chassis flexes, the shock towers flex quite a bit, the arms are weak. Having not run it yet, I can't tell you that all these things make for a worse car. But if the B4 is supposed to work better with a flexing chassis, then this thing should be awesome because the entire car flexes.

Since the vehicle seems to be holding up, I am thinking the plastic may be similar in durability like the RPM stuff that you can buy, that stuff flexes big time, but doesn't break. For the basher, that probably is a good thing. The fit issues should be addressed however so if you know anyone you can pass that along to in academy as you drive for them that would be great.

I am looking forward for people to post thoughts on driving the vehicle. Moe Joe, what you are thoughts so far on the vehicle as far as driving goes?

Dave, will the graphite parts that work on the Pro sedan work on the Buggy?

Last edited by Cain; 05-22-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

yes the graphite chassis parts are the same.

dave
Old 05-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

to be completely honest. There is no "entry level" 4 wheel class. There are only 4 wheel stock classes at big events. Getting enough guys to run a 4 wheel class is hard enough. this car wasnt meant to be run in an "entry level" class. I do understand the importance of a "sport" version, but this car was made to compete with the likes of Losi and any other 4 wheel car out there. Honestly, I have many cars. I have built and still have brand new Old school cars, I have a brand new Tenth Technology Predator International here that I bought from Maxtec in 96 when they were importing them. I have rare cars such as the Tomy Intruder, and Intruder Ex. Kyosho Lazer ZX-S from 95'. I have built them all, and ran them all, ever here of a NIKKO BRAT "works? I have one here.

Look I dont have to go into all of this but honestly, when I built my car my diff rings had notches in them exactly where the ball would ride. I NEVER encountered a flaw in any Kyosho, yokomo, schumacher, Losi, associated or any other cars before until now. The arms are soft and pliable. They made a "cheap" car that can hold its own in the right hands. I havent run mine yet, but I will put it through its paces. Thats a guarantee. I have seen many 4 wheel cars throughout the years and its the same old story..........Maintenace, and money. Trucks became the popular thing to run in the late eighties. I remember we used to get maybe 3 or 4 classes of 4 wheel back then, and then everyone went to trucks. I could only race 4 wheel at the regionals.

No offense to Korea, but their quality control is not even on par with Japan. This car does flex a bit side to side and front to back. Its an inexpensive car that CAN yield good results. Im not knocking it, but you get what you pay for.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cain, I havent run mine yet because of work. I seem to be getting off of the main topic. Ok heres what I honestly think.

For the money its a great buy, it has a great layout and looks like it can be quick and handle well. As far as quality, and fit and finish, it could be better. I dont like the pliable parts, such as shock towers and suspension arms. Dont get me started again on the shocks...LOL. I too didnt like the motor mount, its die-cast. I do love the way the car looks. The body is awesome. I like the adjustable wing mount. I am not putting this car down by any means, just constructive criticizm. I didnt like that they couldnt even give us adjustable turnbuckles. Sheeeesh, what would that have costed them??? Not that I wouldnt have thrown them away any way in favor of titanium, but they should have been included. I didnt car for the self tapping of the upper shock mounting screws as per instructions. They will just rip out in time.

The guys in England are definitely ahead of us with this car. I hope MRC doesnt screw things up for us. They also were associated with Tamiya awhile back, wonder why that didnt last.

I do like cars the England builds though, thats why I bought a Jaguar S-type..........LOL
Old 05-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Tech Legend

moe joe, no problem. Honest opinions are needed on every vehicle.

I got the RC Car Magazine in front of me and from what I can sum up is that the vehicle is VERY durable but the oil and spring selection could have been better as the testers thought it was too soft.

Since the graphite deck and I believe the chassis from the pro kit will work, for those wanting less flex those two may be an option.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Cain, yeah I agree on the chassis. I figured it was the same upper deck, im wondering if the chassis is smaller being that its from the STR touring car. Lets see if we can find out. I didnt mean to be nasty to Dave. I hope he will let us know......LOL
Old 05-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Hey All

I think ""fastboy"" has a point as far as price... I know 6 kids that want to get a 4X4, but can afford the base price for the Yok or Losi. But at $149.99-$199.99 they can... As they run there going to upgrade, as we all do, but if you can't even get-in the door whats the point... We need the kids, that how we all started... I know that us older kids have the money to spend(as long as the BOSS(wife) says it OK and the kids College tuition is paid...hehehe).

I've Never Run Electric 4X4 just nitro buggies, since the first Inferno...hahaha Remember those... But it was a start, I think even though we all upgraded the daylights out of them when parts(hop-ups)became available, it started as a very basic kit.

""fastboy""

Can you ask your Rep's why there Not Going To Ship to the USA for awhile, cars and parts??? That what MRC e-mailed me... They said they Don't have any to Ship to Hobby store's right now, and don't know when they will. They said the holdup is OverSea's???

Also please Post your Hop-ups as you progress, I know you' said you want to keep it basically Stock, but we all know how that goes...hahaha

Hey MOJOE300

You guys run a STOCK MOTOR 4X4 Class??? WOW, can they get around the track???hehehe

Thanks Cain, and MOJOE300 your posts are a Real Help!!!

Thanks All For the InFo!!!

Brad Gotori
[email protected]
Old 05-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Tech Legend

no prob mojo. Let us know ASAP when you do run the vehicle.

I think dave also meant that the chassis is the same as the str pro sedan. So upgrading to graphite there would work.

MRC said the next shipment of cars will be in June, I wonder if they did get any parts with the first shipment of vehicles as I mainly am looking to get another set of wheel that way if I do race I have some better treads to try, the kit ones however from what I understand work great if you go to stiffer foams.

I hope academy can figure out why MRC is saying this, I like how they had an add in RC Car for the buggy, more like that would work great, but parts will be a necessity. I guess we guys may just find out how durable this buggy is!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Hey MOJOE300

Thanks for the help on Wheels!!! Have you tried the ones you posted??? Just wondering because of the offset fastboy was talking about...

Want to stock up but don't want to get anything that won't really work.

Thanks!!!

Brad Gotori
[email protected]
Old 05-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Legend

I agree about the price point issue, I know that it is possible to include more , but I am glad that what was included is actually there for a reasonable price. If it performs well enough that you don't feel the need to whip out the XX-4 or better yet you have a smile on your face, you will forget the price issue for awhile.

I wonder what the quality of the team shocks will be like?
Old 05-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Hey All

Been thinking about what MRC e-mailed me... Wondering if there holding things up, so they can sell via there WebSite???

Just a thought...

Hey fastboy

Can you ask your REP if there(MRC's)deal is they can be the ONLY USA SUPPLIER??? If not what would a hobby shop have to do to get stock direct from them(OverSea's). Because if not I'd like to ask my local Hobby shop to start carrying it.

Thanks ALL!!!

Brad Gotori
[email protected]
Old 05-23-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Brad stick with ordering the wheels made for the car. They will be the best bet.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Legend

Looking forward to you guys' running reports.

How sturdy are the wheels and do you need to drill your own vent holes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.