Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

No problem, just post the link!

I would also be very interested in feedback since I'm more or less the Just-4-Fun racer without any competition in mind.
Would be nice to hear from someone, that actually races the car, wheter it does handle better/worse with the ETD

as for the pictures: sorry, not yet, my digi-cam needs some serious treatment
Old 06-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

B4 front springs will work on the front and you can still run spring spacers.

As for the Chassis, the carbon lower deck makes the car TOO rigid which then makes it harder to set up.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Ok, so pretty much if you need to stiffen the chassis you want to go with the longer carbon upper deck and not the smaller one as well?

I wonder how the BJ4x4 guys are doing as they got a pretty long upperdeck going the length of the chassis. Maybe they just like it stiff . . .

Alright, so far to use the Duratrax shocks, you will probably have to use duratrax springs in the rear as the threads are not long enough for losi rear springs.

B4 shocks are a direct replacement though you need the upper mounting hardware.

I think for me I may just go with the B4 shocks as I can easily get the rear springs.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

It is like the B4, especially over here in the UK, the Graphite chassis can be an absoloute nightmare, yet the standard tub is excellent, as it doesn't make the car so RIGID.

One word of warning of using the solid single piece deck is that you will have to make two new front post or make a spacer tha same size as the thickness of the front top deck, otherwise you will tighten in a tweak to the top deck.

Running on clay I would be inclined to run maximum the top deck in Carbon fibre, the FRP lower deck will help generate grip.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

One word of warning of using the solid single piece deck is that you will have to make two new front post or make a spacer tha same size as the thickness of the front top deck, otherwise you will tighten in a tweak to the top deck.
The front top deck remains as a "bearing holder" below the enhanced top deck.

The car ist still not as stiff as with carbon plates, it's just structural strenght that's added, keeping some of the flex.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

I don't understand what you gain by extending the top deck over the front deck, except maybe removing the little amount of give in the chassis to protect the gear top casing on the front. I could apreciate just running a single top deck, but 3?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

There aren't 3 top decks because you replace the stock one, so that makes 2 as stock.

You're right, most of the flex of the front end comes from the chassis, but some from the gearbox - that's what worried me (since bevel/crown gears are very sensitive)

I'll see if there are any negative consequences using the long TD, but I guess not
Old 06-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Tech Legend

Ok! Beyond what I do right now!

For US tracks, anyone know what a good comparison tire is to the stock ones? Trying to see where these would be useful though I know I need to go to stiffer foams.

I will probably be running the vehicle with a stock motor next week, the track I am on is just not 19T friendly! When he gets his new one it should be alot bigger.

Almost forgot, quick question for you guys:

Where are you currently mounting the tansponder, the ones the shops give you not personals. I was thinking of rigging up something to mount it on the upper deck, hate to punch a hold in the body though.

Last edited by Cain; 06-10-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Sorry, been a long day, yes, still two top decks. What worries me about bracing the front casing like that, in the even of a crash involving the front shock tower, without the space for the gearbox to GIVE slightly, then I got to say, the worry for me would then be the shock tower taking the top gear case out.

But it would be interesting to find out if it DOES work though, keep us posted, and as soon as you can, see if you can get a pic up of it.

Cain, I feel the tyres are something similar to the rear tyres that come with the B4 kit, although slightly different tread pattern. As for the Transponder, mine has a hole in the front screen, but don't place the hole too low as the transponder will hit on the top deck.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Tech Legend

Funny, the BJ4x4 seems to have the brace all the way across.

I think I may order some stiffer foams for the tires before I mount them.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Tech Initiate

The Fusion tires hook up nicely, but definately harder foams.

Shawn
Old 06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

shawn:

Do you have sb part numbers for the front ,rear shock towers,front and rear hub carriers, diffs and drive linkage?

Thanks

Last edited by threeEwes; 06-10-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Tech Legend

I got the numbers:

SB-004 Front and Rear Damper Stay ( Shock Towers )
ST-T57 Bevel Gears ( 1 set )
ST-T58 Diff Hubs ( 1 set )
ST-T10 Center One Way Joint Cup
ST-T55 Center One Way Shaft
ST-P02 Hub Carrier ( 5 degrees ) ( 1 pair )
WT-26 2.5 Diff Balls ( 12 )
ST-03 Front & Rear Hub
SB-016 Universal Drive Shaft Set
ST-02 Front / Rear Gear Box
SB-001 Hub Carrier 7 Degrees ( 1 pair )
SB-005 Front Arm ( 2 )
SB-006 Rear Arm ( 2)

Anything specific that you need? I posted some extra stuff as these are some of the parts I think alot of people would also be interested in.

Any of you guys contact ultimate hobbies about the website being updated to show the academy buggy. Just drop them an email or when you call them to order something mention it.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Tech Legend

No problem!

I like that Mr. T avatar. pretty cool.

If you guys still need the price list email me as I have it so you don't pay more than what it is retail since the prices are not listed on the parts.

I wish we had some academy drivers at the Nats, would be cool to see the vehicle up against the rest out there. I tell you though, I won't be suprised if Losi doesn't win 4wd electric this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.