Search

Spec-R Gear diff review

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
This
haha should have worded it alittle better, but you caught that one fast karl..
Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Joey I said rip. Not top end, that doesn't wear a diff out. It's the high traction and bottom end that will blow them up. No one has ran a spec r diff long enough but when a local racer has ran one for two race days in mod and the diff gears are already getting slop that's not looking good for long term. Like I said I want my diff to be the last thing I worry about anymore. As far as a boosted 5.5, I ran with a tekin team driver at reedy and it didn't have anything for my non boosted mod
Old 07-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Joey I said rip. Not top end, that doesn't wear a diff out. It's the high traction and bottom end that will blow them up. No one has ran a spec r diff long enough but when a local racer has ran one for two race days in mod and the diff gears are already getting slop that's not looking good for long term. Like I said I want my diff to be the last thing I worry about anymore. As far as a boosted 5.5, I ran with a tekin team driver at reedy and it didn't have anything for my non boosted mod
our local track is pretty good grip wise id say its about med depending on the weather..

as for me saying pull i ment rip.

as for the locals over there killing the gears not sure what to say.. ive literally seen them running mod this weekend and jumping some curbs and landing on power with no diff failures..
Old 07-19-2010, 07:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ark
hanulec
What oil did you run in yours?
400 cst XRay silicone oil. You could run thinner too.

As for durability under torque - I was doing wheelies out on to the back straight. I think every XRay and the lone Tamiya in the mod and 13.5 Amains were running this diff. The TOP boys were wanna try the Yokomo version when it drops and the lone Losi type-r driver was wishing he had a gear diff option.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
...and the lone Losi type-r driver was wishing he had a gear diff option.
First you bump me out of the A, then you forget I was even there! But yes, I too was wishing there was a gear diff option for the [i]other/i] Type-R at the ROC.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
Like Hanulec said, the diffs were dialed all weekend. I ran the Tamiya version in my 416x in both 13.5 and mod and I never even had to think about maintenance for the diff.
What oil were you running in your diff?

Well for one a 5.5 doesn't exactly have the rip a 4.5 does lol. And two you guys have been running the diff for what a month or two now? What's it going to look like after half a year or a year? I'm still a plastic gear hater lol I want the diff to last forever, I'm sick of diff rebuilds
A half year to year isn't that bad for a rebuild.

400 cst XRay silicone oil. You could run thinner too.

As for durability under torque - I was doing wheelies out on to the back straight. I think every XRay and the lone Tamiya in the mod and 13.5 Amains were running this diff. The TOP boys were wanna try the Yokomo version when it drops and the lone Losi type-r driver was wishing he had a gear diff option.
So would you say a 1000cst is too much?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ran 700 weight oil not cst. It was really good when the track cooled down and traction picked up because it would power through big transition sections very well, but when the track was greasy during the day I feel that a thinner oil would be easier to drive and rotate a little better.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Way2evl your Brian right?

But yeah half a year isn't bad. But no ones had one that long. Jays got slop after two weeks of mod racing I doubt they will last half a year lol
Old 07-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

hi guys after testing the gear diff i have found that 50wt shock oil works the best on low traction conditions and 1000wt diff oil works the best when traction is up anymore it creates to much on power drive.But saying that i have run a ball diff back to back with a gear diff and and no matter what setting i changed there was always one or two corners the rear of my car didn't like but put a ball diff in and problem solved.i do think a ball diff has a smoother feeling tho in the cars handling with my set up.As some have mention the spec r gear diff has heaps of slop i agree with them it is bad so hopefully someone brings out a light or lighter good quality gear diff.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P.I.M.P
hi guys after testing the gear diff i have found that 50wt shock oil works the best on low traction conditions and 1000wt diff oil works the best when traction is up anymore it creates to much on power drive.But saying that i have run a ball diff back to back with a gear diff and and no matter what setting i changed there was always one or two corners the rear of my car didn't like but put a ball diff in and problem solved.i do think a ball diff has a smoother feeling tho in the cars handling with my set up.As some have mention the spec r gear diff has heaps of slop i agree with them it is bad so hopefully someone brings out a light or lighter good quality gear diff.
Next month 3 Racing will release their gear diff .. two versions 37 and 38t pulley
Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cannon
Next month 3 Racing will release their gear diff .. two versions 37 and 38t pulley
Yes, but the construction looks the same. Same design as far as I can see. One difference I can see from looking at the picture is they use a larger shim. That could be a plus.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P.I.M.P
I'm surprised by your remarks. I've had that total opposite feeling where I put a new car down on the track Saturday without the gear diff - but a mirror image of my other cars. The car pushed and wouldn't take me hammering the trigger. I then put a gear diff into the car and without any other setup changes had the car on an a-main pace.

If your in the states and wanna get rid of the diff pls pm me. I could use another one (or three).
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm surprised by your remarks. I've had that total opposite feeling where I put a new car down on the track Saturday without the gear diff - but a mirror image of my other cars. The car pushed and wouldn't take me hammering the trigger. I then put a gear diff into the car and without any other setup changes had the car on an a-main pace.

If your in the states and wanna get rid of the diff pls pm me. I could use another one (or three).
Not saying the diff is bad its just i find it not as nice to drive as a ball diff but the gear diff is in the right condition is faster then a ball diff with out set up change but i race on dusty tracks most of the time so just seems nicer to drive with a well built ball diff
Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Way2evl your Brian right?

But yeah half a year isn't bad. But no ones had one that long. Jays got slop after two weeks of mod racing I doubt they will last half a year lol
Yea, Brian. Is Jay's slop side to side?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Way2Evl
Yea, Brian. Is Jay's slop side to side?
the pin that goes through the outdrive and the gear sits on the pin.

that hole for the pin in the plastic gear is getting kinda big

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.