Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY T2R Pro vs. TOP Photon for USVTA

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default XRAY T2R Pro vs. TOP Photon for USVTA

Ok so I was set on buying a TOP Photon chassis for my VTA, but then I was reading in the forums here that there are some issues with parts breaking. Someone else told me about the XRAY T2R Pro as a very good option (and cheaper $$) than the Photon. So has anyone here used both setups for USVTA racing? do you have some comparison points? I know some people post crap just cause they don't like the design, so I'm looking for sincere answers from racers that have tried them both. Which one is better chassis for USVTA racing?

any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Photon will have more adjustability right out of the box based on the fact that it has turnbuckles as the T2R Pro doesn't. Let me clarify that. Both can be adjusted, but in order to adjust the T2R you have to take off one side of each linkage, the Photon has turnbuckles you use a wrench on like any other top (no pun intended there) level kit.

Asphalt racing, I would think the T2R might have a bit of traction advantage with the increased flex of the chassis, but it is a small amount because of the speed of the VTA if you are running 25.5 motors.

Any part will break if you hit it hard enough, and just like every new kit that comes out, the Photon had some breakage that has been fixed in recent kits that have been sent out. Even the XRay had parts breakage when they were released. The T2R was the third release of the 008 platform, so they have had plenty of time to sort out problems.

You probably can't go wrong with either kit as both are good, see what kind of part support you can get where you live and shop, see what other racers are using in your area as they will be able to help more with setups on a similar car.

Personally, I would probably go with the Photon now, but I have way too much invested in XRay parts to change platforms.

Someone good to PM will be any of the TOP guys. There are three that I race with that use the Photon for VTA with one changing from 008 to a Photon, one from 009 to a Photon, and the other from T1Fk05 to a Photon.

Even if you break parts, the Photon parts are a bit cheaper than the same XRay parts.

Just noticed you are from Jonesboro. Try and find Q or Ross. Both run Photons. Q is mrrcguy on the forums.. send him a PM.

Last edited by Dondor; 02-17-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: noticed where he was from
Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snakemau
Ok so I was set on buying a TOP Photon chassis for my VTA, but then I was reading in the forums here that there are some issues with parts breaking. Someone else told me about the XRAY T2R Pro as a very good option (and cheaper $$) than the Photon. So has anyone here used both setups for USVTA racing? do you have some comparison points? I know some people post crap just cause they don't like the design, so I'm looking for sincere answers from racers that have tried them both. Which one is better chassis for USVTA racing?

any suggestions?
Hi snakemau, first off even though I race for TOP, work for TOP, and part owner of TOP USA you won't go wrong with either car. The Photon did have some issues with the first batch but we have fixed the issues since then.

1) spool and spool out drives too soft - we fixed this by going to a harder material for the spool. The kits now come standard with the harder spool and steel outdrives. Aluminum outdrives are offered as optional. For a limited time we gave a free spool and outdrives to everyone that purchased the first batch of kits.

2) rear blades - rear blades would break because the universals were too long if you ran the rear narrow. We've made them shorter (44.5mm) and these now come standard with the Kit.

3) soft top deck screws - We've made them harder and also offer optional top deck screws that use a 2mm wrench instead of 1.5. If you choose this kit I recommend you get this option.

4) overall soft hardware - We've changed our screw supplier and now have ones that are much stronger then the original.

5) bell crank - if you use a servo saver this is almost never an issue. I crash a lot..... a lot and have never broken one when using a servo saver.

The arms are extremely beefy. The caster blocks and rear hubs are also really good.

Like I said you won't go wrong with either car. But I hope you choose TOP.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Yeah, what EJ said. I broke a bellcrank first week with the car. Just broke a steering block last weekend and didn't know it was broken until after the qualifier. Two parts in 6 months is pretty good.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Usually guys will use their oldest TC for VTA and save the new one for touring. My best TC right now is an S400 and I moved it to VTA to reduce parts breakage since they are hard to come by for the S400. Either of these cars are plenty for VTA, maybe even overkill.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Another thing to consider is that there are now more than a dozen Photons that will be at your local track on a regular basis. There are more people looking to make the switch this season also, some of which are "sponsored" by other companies. This will go a long way in terms of the local support you will have to help you learn the car.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

yeah, well after doing some more research on the subject and talking to mrrcguy and talking with Michael at TOP and all your comments I decided to get me my Photon kit. I really like the options on it and the turnuckles. So I'm ordering mine today and will have it running soon for the races in March.

Thank you for the info
Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

can't go wrong listening to Q, just watch what he says about the sheep.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Dondor
can't go wrong listening to Q, just watch what he says about the sheep.
,,, NICE!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default PHOTON

I love my Photons in both sedan and VTA form! Guys like Micheal at T.O.P. and Q give great support so that is why i will continue to run the Photons.Plus the fact that they are dialed helps too!

Last edited by haywood; 02-20-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: edit
Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Dang you guys are making me want one now. My house is going to look like a stinking TC farm.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Dang you guys are making me want one now. My house is going to look like a stinking TC farm.
Might as well pull the trigger!