Search

Best rubber tires for carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: What Tires and Inserts?

Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
Now what to do for tires and inserts?

Use Sorex 28/24 tires with what inserts??? Would the inserts be different to match the tire compounds?
I believe that driving style, chassis type and chassis setup play a role as well.

I tend to use a insert one step harder than my fellow racers, even though track and tires are the same. And with very good results
Old 02-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Sorex 28R with JB Blue works great. (use tire additive)
Old 02-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Harddrivin - so, do you know of anywhere in the US to get those Tamiya tires? Google turned up only overseas vendors.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am looking for a place that stocks the CS27 and CS22 pre-mounts with the Speed Mind wheel. They take care of clearance issues and are not as fragile as some of the other (break out the center) wheels. One of my LHS used to stock them but I haven't seen them in quite a while....

Does anyone know who stocks these???
Old 02-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hobbytown in newark does.Gary orders from magmar all the time.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Default XXX-S Bill

I would suggest you ask someone at the track rather then here.They will get you the insert and tire and rim info you need for Stockton particularly.I have learned this from experience that what people suggest here will usually work but not the best combo for the carpet/conditions that we run.As far as the clearnce problems with the take offs,run the Takeoffs that are imported by Speedmind not Schumacher.Way better rim!BTW the sorex wheels are absolutely horrible.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Hicks!!!

I need directions! I am in San Jose today and if it is not too far away I'll go there today.

Art
Old 02-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Advil
Hey Hicks!!!

I need directions! I am in San Jose today and if it is not too far away I'll go there today.

Art
Hope that it worked; but, if not, try RC Tech in Daly City. Go to www.rctechonline.com for directions...he, he...
Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: XXX-S Bill

Originally posted by racenut123
I would suggest you ask someone at the track rather then here.They will get you the insert and tire and rim info you need for Stockton particularly.I have learned this from experience that what people suggest here will usually work but not the best combo for the carpet/conditions that we run.As far as the clearnce problems with the take offs,run the Takeoffs that are imported by Speedmind not Schumacher.Way better rim!BTW the sorex wheels are absolutely horrible.
Thanks racenut123,

Would I be talking to Charlie at Stockton?

Sure didn't know that Takeoffs could come with different rims. Just thought what I had been using was discontinued.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: XXX-S Bill

Thanks racenut123,

Would I be talking to Charlie at Stockton?

Sure didn't know that Takeoffs could come with different rims. Just thought what I had been using was discontinued.
What clearance issues are you having? I would be able to help you out with the car a little better if I knew exactly what is rubbing or not clearing.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: XXX-S Bill

Originally posted by STLNLST
What clearance issues are you having? I would be able to help you out with the car a little better if I knew exactly what is rubbing or not clearing.
On my XXX-S, the rims are barely touching the RPM rod ends (using short ball ends) on the rear of the car...Can't use the outer position for the ball ends on the rear uprights. Gotta believe the scraps on the inside of the rims happen under cornering conditions.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Take a dremel and grind down the top of the ballcups.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Chill Will
Take a dremel and grind down the top of the ballcups.
Oops! Looks like I forgot to mention that I already have used the Dremel on them.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: What Tires and Inserts?

At Stockton (CA) for Sportsman Stock, I've been using pre-made Takeoff 27s on the front and 22s on the back with very good results. Won last 3 of 3. Stockton does let us use TQ Traction Compound.

Biggest problem for me is that the newest Takeoff plastic wheels used for the pre-made set have virtually no clearance at the rear of my XXX-S. Upon investigating the hubs of the Takeoff wheels, I see many small cracks...Had two complete wheel failures in early January.

Already bought a set of Sorex dish wheels to check the clearance and they are far better than the Takeoffs. Other people already suggested the Yokomo or Schumacher wheels; but, I haven't got that far yet.

Now what to do for tires and inserts?

Use Sorex 28/24 tires with what inserts??? Would the inserts be different to match the tire compounds?

Thanks.
Bill try Sorex 28R front and Sorex 24R rears with HPI green or red inserts.

As for Yok wheels, if you get the ABS ones they will be brittle. They run true but hitting things with your orange 76 car will break the wheels.

Hmmm, you've been winning huh. Guess I'll have to come out of retirement.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: What Tires and Inserts?

Originally posted by Sydewynder
Bill try Sorex 28R front and Sorex 24R rears with HPI green or red inserts.

As for Yok wheels, if you get the ABS ones they will be brittle. They run true but hitting things with your orange 76 car will break the wheels.

Hmmm, you've been winning huh. Guess I'll have to come out of retirement.
Thanks Sydewinder,

I've been saying that the most competitive guys in the SS class were giving me a break. Won't be there tomorrow night; so, you are welcome to come out of retirement...he, he...Will be back to Stockton in March for the BIG RACE with some new wheels/tires for #76.

Last edited by JRX-S Bill; 02-17-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.