Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rubber tires for carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Best rubber tires for carpet

What is the best tire for use on carpet? I've tried a few, and I'm sick of spending money hoping that I'll find the right tire. So, I'd appreciate any suggestions. It would also be good if the tires were good for more than 10 runs.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

This depends on the type of carpet but here in Europe we use a lot of Take Off CS-27's on carpet with good results. (you do have to use tire traction offcourse.

I also used CS-22's with success and Sorex 20R's. But I must also say that inserts are also key for a good performance. I've used Orion/JB yellow and blue with success. (the carpet inserts)
Old 02-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Tech Regular

Sorex tyres....try 20's or 24's
Old 02-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

90% of the people where i race use premounted takeoff 27's cuz they r cheap and of course pre-mounted ....Sorex 28,24 compounds and Pits 27,25......(spelling) work well too with HPI red inserts
Old 02-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

The carpet is ozite - rather old, but still has decent traction.

I have been using the Takeoff CS22s, but found that their traction starts dying after 30 minutes (5 races). After 20 races, it becomes obvious that they don't have enough traction to be used for racing.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

On our carpet track (dont know what type), we have two problems: Rubber tires which work on other tracks, dont work here. That sort out Sorex 28 and CS 22. The other problem is, that during the winter, track temperature is between 11 and 16 degree celcius.

We found that the Schumacher Dragon work well. But again, inserts is important.

By the way, we aint allowed to use traction compond.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:33 AM
Tech Regular

If you 're not allowed to use tractioncompound, go for Tamiya M2 radials. I know it sounds weird but we've been using them in a winter series for the last three years and nothing came even close. Temperatures were between -4 and +10 degrees celcius. It was a carpet track. I won that series the last three years so i know what i'm talking about. PeterCR knows the series to cause he partissipated to.
If you are allowed to use tractioncompound go for PitShimizu D20 or D25.

Regards
Old 02-17-2004, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Hardriven RC
If you 're not allowed to use tractioncompound, go for Tamiya M2 radials. I know it sounds weird but we've been using them in a winter series for the last three years and nothing came even close. Temperatures were between -4 and +10 degrees celcius. It was a carpet track. I won that series the last three years so i know what i'm talking about. PeterCR knows the series to cause he partissipated to.
If you are allowed to use tractioncompound go for PitShimizu D20 or D25.

Regards
I've heard very good things about a tire called "M1" - is it a Tamiya tire in family with the M2? Maybe another compound?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2004, 03:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes Harddriven is right.
I used them too in the same series!

I used Tamiya M2 Radials in the back and Tamiya M2 slicks in the front. Good thing is that they last very long and even get better when they wearing out.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does anybody have the part or manufacturers number for those Tamyia tires? Or better yet, a url?
Old 02-17-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

zgeist.

where are you planning to race...i see you're in the chicago area.

most racers around this area who run rubber/stock use the TakeOff CS27 or Sorex28R w/HPI Red Inserts. Either of those choices would be perfect at any of the tracks...rsj, aj's, trackside, ect.

a great place to order them from... www.kthobbies.com
Old 02-17-2004, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'd be racing at RSJ's - I've seen you there once. I use Take-off 27s now, I was just thinking of trying the radials because someone said they were good even without tire compound! I always seem to forget to put that stuff on, and it's messy! ;-)
Old 02-17-2004, 06:40 AM
IH
Tech Adept

TakeOff CS27 or Sorex28R w/HPI Red Inserts.
Do the HPI red inserts also work well in combination with the CS-27 tires or does this only apply to the Sorex ones?

Thanks,
IH
Old 02-17-2004, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

53224 Tamiya M2 Slicks, use with black insert 53209
53227 Tamiya M2 Radial, use with blue insert 53250

This worked great on a TC3. Now if you use Tamiya rims on an TC3 you need to file away part of the inner struts of the rim.

Regards
Old 02-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default What Tires and Inserts?

At Stockton (CA) for Sportsman Stock, I've been using pre-made Takeoff 27s on the front and 22s on the back with very good results. Won last 3 of 3. Stockton does let us use TQ Traction Compound.

Biggest problem for me is that the newest Takeoff plastic wheels used for the pre-made set have virtually no clearance at the rear of my XXX-S. Upon investigating the hubs of the Takeoff wheels, I see many small cracks...Had two complete wheel failures in early January.

Already bought a set of Sorex dish wheels to check the clearance and they are far better than the Takeoffs. Other people already suggested the Yokomo or Schumacher wheels; but, I haven't got that far yet.

Now what to do for tires and inserts?

Use Sorex 28/24 tires with what inserts??? Would the inserts be different to match the tire compounds?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.