Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree195Likes

Novarossi engines thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, 1/4 scale is awesome. My favorite plane were a YS 120 powered Great Planes Super Skybolt, and a Zenoah G62 powered Stinger. I just couldn't take the crashes after all the building. Not that I crashed that much, but when they happen, they happen BIG. (with 1/4 sc)

No competition, either, I enjoy racing much more....adrenaline.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Back on topic....this NSR is a screamer!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did anyone else hear that Paris Racing got back the distribution rights for Novarossi? GOOD NEWS!
Old 01-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes paris got the tops line back and have the equivalent
of the ns12 which i think is called ts12. Jim is a good guy and
have good customer support.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, but now they lost Picco..
Old 01-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default mid range needle

how often do you set the mid range needle screw ? i've heard the gain is very small and once it is screwed up it can ruin the engine for life.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Post Best companion pipe for the RR12L3

Well, after some testing, many tanks and much laptiming with the RR12 in the past weeks found the pipe that works like a glove with this engine: Nova 52604. With other pipes, this engine lacks a lot of high end (feels very soft).

For the NS/NSR found that depending the different tracks, probably is interesting to lose some high-end for providing more mid-rpms, like does Nova pipe 51224, but when is time to whine at ridiculous rpms, another time the 52604 pipe excels the High rpms.

Anyone with the RR12 found similar results? which pipe are you using?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

never mess w/ mid range
Old 01-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Best companion pipe for the RR12L3

Originally posted by Corse-R
Anyone with the RR12 found similar results? which pipe are you using?
Sorry.. will post it soon, still waiting for this torque king engine.

But I do notes in my 1st NSR trial with NRS52224 combo is very powerfull in medium/big track. By that time i thought something wrong with the engine coz it peaks out with 110 C deg. Than I understand from this forum that this engine is demands high operating temperature.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Best companion pipe for the RR12L3

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Sorry.. will post it soon, still waiting for this torque king engine.

But I do notes in my 1st NSR trial with NRS52224 combo is very powerfull in medium/big track. By that time i thought something wrong with the engine coz it peaks out with 110 C deg. Than I understand from this forum that this engine is demands high operating temperature.
Depends on the air temperature you have actually. If you have air temperatures around 10ºC, 110ºC on the engine is a lot
Old 01-11-2004, 05:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Best companion pipe for the RR12L3

Depends on the air temperature you have actually. If you have air temperatures around 10ºC, 110ºC on the engine is a lot
Very sharp thought...
Ambient here is 32-34 deg. C asphalt is about 40 - 60 deg.C and the humidity is around 90-95%.
Now I tune all of my NSR12 in 110-125 deg. C and it was truly awesome. WIth NRS 52607 combo pipe, only MAX engine can keep up with their xtra bottom power.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

i'm planning on purchasing a new motor and i'm interested in the new nova that has the "special composition" piston with the harder metal. what is the name of this engine?

all these new versions and the such is confusing me! i'm still thinking of the s3jp days!

also with this engine (the new special piston nova), is there a jp version yet!? i'll be purchasing around april, so will the jp version be out by then????

CAN'T WAIT! planning to put the proper ceramic bearings into the case also. what are the bearing sizes of the crank? (they are now smaller correct?)

my jps3 served well for almost a full year of hard racing, and still going very well.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Best companion pipe for the RR12L3

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Very sharp thought...
Ambient here is 32-34 deg. C asphalt is about 40 - 60 deg.C and the humidity is around 90-95%.
Now I tune all of my NSR12 in 110-125 deg. C and it was truly awesome. WIth NRS 52607 combo pipe, only MAX engine can keep up with their xtra bottom power.
Uhm.... re-reading your previous post I noted that you were expecting higher operating temperatures from your engine, but isn't a matter of of temperature, is a matter of withstanding higher temperatures without going 'flat' or losing compression.

Probably you're almost at the maximum performance that allows in their stock configuration, are much, much more if you want to start investigating on altering parameters in your engine, let's review a little list.

- Which kind of fuel you're using?
- Which is the chamber size you're using?
- Which plug are you using #, body type (Turbo?)?

Depending the fuel and the nitro percentage, you can modify your combustion chamber to get some more (just a warning with those Relative humidity and running at sea level... engines are more prone to detonation and grenading if you're too shallow on the combustion chamber size). Motorman gave some time ago some values for Nova engines depending which kind of fuel were using: For 16% Nitro, he suggested .014", for 20% .018" and for 30% he suggested around .021" Those values are from memory, could be wrong but remembered them.

You need to measure the combustion chamber with the soldering lead and measure the value yield by the wire and adjust accordingly.

Unless you face 'difficult' situations.... i.e: Gigantic backstraights with lots of air temp and too much time with full throttle along 30% nitro, the best turbo plugs you can use your engine are the Nova #5Tc and #6Tc or equivalents (Rex, NovaMega, ...). Colder plugs are for situations like I commented previously (43ºC air, 69ºC Track temp and an enormous backstraight).

Last summer, with those conditions used a #7Tc along some carb tunning and combustion chamber adjustment and the use of the lower side of a INS box for isolating the air that enters into the engine from the heat that expels. Got rewarded with a happy engine who screamed and reached a stable temperature of 115º to 125ºC, main problem was a little loading when refueling due to an 'extreme low-end needle adjustment': about 4 1/4 turns open, but was the tradeoff for such extreme conditions. Many people suffered 145ºC, 155ºC and up to 180ºC with the nasty flameouts that cause such extreme temperatures.

Don't know Nova 52607 pipe, but for sure that will almost the same as the 52603/52604 models but with larger ID of stinger.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best companion pipe for the RR12L3

Uhm.... re-reading your previous post I noted that you were expecting higher operating temperatures from your engine, but isn't a matter of of temperature, is a matter of withstanding higher temperatures without going 'flat' or losing compression.

Probably you're almost at the maximum performance that allows in their stock configuration, are much, much more if you want to start investigating on altering parameters in your engine, let's review a little list.

- Which kind of fuel you're using?
- Which is the chamber size you're using?
- Which plug are you using #, body type (Turbo?)?

Depending the fuel and the nitro percentage, you can modify your combustion chamber to get some more (just a warning with those Relative humidity and running at sea level... engines are more prone to detonation and grenading if you're too shallow on the combustion chamber size). Motorman gave some time ago some values for Nova engines depending which kind of fuel were using: For 16% Nitro, he suggested .014", for 20% .018" and for 30% he suggested around .021" Those values are from memory, could be wrong but remembered them.

You need to measure the combustion chamber with the soldering lead and measure the value yield by the wire and adjust accordingly.
Many thanks for this brain storming..
I never measure this value.
Usually Im just put .3mm for 16% and add .05 for higher nitro.
I will check this and get back to you.
For 0.14"(16%) is this the crown shaped height or between from plug to piston ?

Unless you face 'difficult' situations.... i.e: Gigantic backstraights with lots of air temp and too much time with full throttle along 30% nitro, the best turbo plugs you can use your engine are the Nova #5Tc and #6Tc or equivalents (Rex, NovaMega, ...). Colder plugs are for situations like I commented previously (43ºC air, 69ºC Track temp and an enormous backstraight).

Last summer, with those conditions used a #7Tc along some carb tunning and combustion chamber adjustment and the use of the lower side of a INS box for isolating the air that enters into the engine from the heat that expels. Got rewarded with a happy engine who screamed and reached a stable temperature of 115º to 125ºC, main problem was a little loading when refueling due to an 'extreme low-end needle adjustment': about 4 1/4 turns open, but was the tradeoff for such extreme conditions. Many people suffered 145ºC, 155ºC and up to 180ºC with the nasty flameouts that cause such extreme temperatures.

Don't know Nova 52607 pipe, but for sure that will almost the same as the 52603/52604 models but with larger ID of stinger.
I use, Byron 16%,
Nova's 6Tf (for 80Mtr straight) and 7Tf (for 46Mtr staright),
NRS-28605 (LARGER Turbo Underhead), .3mm shim head, NRS 52607 Pipe and ran about 8-10" pressure line length.

52607 have exactly the same belly shaped with 52224, I guess Nova want to make it legal for .12 sized engine (52606 is the EFRA legal). Very different with 03/04 pipe in punch wise.
To be honest when using this 52607 with NSR in big track (80mtr straight) 5 minutes + 1 xtra lap is maximum refuelling time.

As for 4-1/4 low needle, are you sure that you do not experiencing "what Ron Paris describing as FAKE top mixture setting" ?
Very interesting, and I absolutely want to know much.. thanks for your time.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default NSR 12S3

What is the difference between NSR 12S3 and NS 12S3, and do they use same cylinder/piston??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.