Wiki Posts
Search

Help With Traxxas Slash Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help With Traxxas Slash Project

Hi all

Just wondering if some of you well infomed guys can offer some advice?

I ran an 11.1volt lipo in my slash using a Venilon VXL esc and a 5.5t brushless motor.

Only ran it a couple of times but speed was awsome - in fact it ripped the standard tyres apart! not sure what speed it was getting but we estimated 50mph ish.

After second run my VXL esc stopped working correctly - now it just goes into voltage shut-down mode within a minute or so - i have read this is a common problem...

So time to get some upgrades-

already got the 17mm adapters on it and fitted 1/8th rallycross wheels & tyres.

About to buy a Monster Mamba Max esc

My question is which motor do i go for?

A have a traxxas vxl ??

also somoone i know has a Medusa 2200kv motor for sale..

My question is will this be usefull with only 11.1 volts or will it be slow? and require higher volts?

If this motor is no use what do i do? get bigger batteries or a different motor to the VXL or the medus?

Hopefully i can stay with 11.1volts as i have two batteries already..

Your help greatly appreciated

James
Old 03-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default slash

That is a common problem with the VXL setups.. Quark 125B much cheaper than mamba with alot more option without buying a 25$ cable..also with the 1/8 scale motor and 2000kv you will need to run a Huge pinion gear and a tiny spur I dont think you will find what you need in the hobby shops or even online like a 1:1 gear ratio..I have a AE sc10 with a Quark 80B and a tekin 468 and it hits speeds of more than 70 mph with a 7.4v Kokam battery.. It never thermals (gets to Hot).. and it is A Speed Beast.. but my Center of gravity is way lower than a slash.. Best of Luck with your Speed Basher. You wont be able to race that maybe some track somewhere in time might let you but the Slash around me seams to be So called Box Stock LOL what a joke that is..Peace TnT

lets see the laymers wine about what I have said LOL

Last edited by tntpoof; 03-30-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Cheers for you reply pal

Looks like i am rethinking again lol!

7000+ KV? i thought that would mean 11.1 * 7000 = 77000 RPM which would be too high for the motor? so far i have been told to keep the KV down when running 11 volts?

Going to have a browse and see how much i can get the sytems you mention for online

Racing wise im ok as my local club here in the UK runs a truck class without limitations on anything!! maybe ill have chance agaisnt those 1/8th brushless convertitions this time !

James

That is a common problem with the VXL setups.. you will not be able to run the vxl brushless motor with mamba monster you will need a esc with the Hall effect cable or in laymans term sensor cable..get a sidewinder setup with a 7000+ k motor. you will be happy or a Quark 125B much cheaper than mamba with alot more option without buying a 25$ cable..also with the 1/8 scale motor and 2000kv you will need to run a Huge pinion gear and a tiny spur I dont think you will find what you need in the hobby shops or even online like a 1:1 gear ratio..I have a AE sc 8 with a Quark 80B and a tekin 468 and it hits speeds of more than 70 mph with a 7.4v Kokam battery.. It never thermals (gets to Hot).. and it is A Speed Beast.. but my Center of gravity is way lower than a slash.. Best ofLuck with your Speed Basher. You wont be able to race that maybe some track somewhere in time might let you but the Slash around me seams to be So called Box Stock LOL what a joke that is..Peace TnT

lets see the laymers wine about what I have said LOL[/QUOTE]
Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tntpoof
That is a common problem with the VXL setups.. you will not be able to run the vxl brushless motor with mamba monster you will need a esc with the Hall effect cable or in laymans term sensor cable..get a sidewinder setup with a 7000+ k motor. you will be happy or a Quark 125B much cheaper than mamba with alot more option without buying a 25$ cable..also with the 1/8 scale motor and 2000kv you will need to run a Huge pinion gear and a tiny spur I dont think you will find what you need in the hobby shops or even online like a 1:1 gear ratio..I have a AE sc 8 with a Quark 80B and a tekin 468 and it hits speeds of more than 70 mph with a 7.4v Kokam battery.. It never thermals (gets to Hot).. and it is A Speed Beast.. but my Center of gravity is way lower than a slash.. Best ofLuck with your Speed Basher. You wont be able to race that maybe some track somewhere in time might let you but the Slash around me seams to be So called Box Stock LOL what a joke that is..Peace TnT

just to point out everything that was wrong with what you said
the sidewinder can only hande 3s with a 4600kv, mabey a 5700 with a fan
the VXL motor is sensoreless
the MMM comes with the castle link

there is no FING way that a tekin 540 sized motor will run a sc8 with any kind of power and speed, that your claiming.

Last edited by whitrzac; 03-30-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by shanks
Cheers for you reply pal

Looks like i am rethinking again lol!

7000+ KV? i thought that would mean 11.1 * 7000 = 77000 RPM which would be too high for the motor? so far i have been told to keep the KV down when running 11 volts?

Going to have a browse and see how much i can get the sytems you mention for online

Racing wise im ok as my local club here in the UK runs a truck class without limitations on anything!! maybe ill have chance agaisnt those 1/8th brushless convertitions this time !

James

[/QUOTE]

you right, that many RPM will shatter the rotor on MOST motors(not castle), if you want speed, I would suggest ether a Tekin R1 and the VXL motor that you have, or buy the MM 5700 combo. the MMM is just overkill for a rustler

most 1/8 motor will be too big for the rustler, but I'v had good luck with the novak HV line of motors in my slash, get the 4.5/5.5 and a few extra drive shafts but you still need an EXPENSIVE sensored esc for them to work well, and convert your rustler to use jato spur gears, and .8mod pinions. 32 pitch IS NOT THE SAME!!
2-3s lipo on these motors are ballistic

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUYM9&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWZH4&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPNW1&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUTA5&P=7
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I had a mamba max with 5700kv motor in my slash, it ran great and had tons of speed running on a 6 cell pack, as a matter of fact, I shredded a stock tire as well with this setup the first time out. A mamba max and 5700kv motor will work great on 3 cell, however is going to be a lot of fun trying to hook that up on a dirt track, even with 1/8th rally tires. After almost 3 years and zero maintenance a bearing just went out in my motor. I sure cant complain about that.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by arstron
I had a mamba max with 5700kv motor in my slash, it ran great and had tons of speed running on a 6 cell pack, as a matter of fact, I shredded a stock tire as well with this setup the first time out. A mamba max and 5700kv motor will work great on 3 cell, however is going to be a lot of fun trying to hook that up on a dirt track, even with 1/8th rally tires. After almost 3 years and zero maintenance a bearing just went out in my motor. I sure cant complain about that.
cus you need to oil them and finding the 5x16 bearings that they use are a pain in the but!!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Why replace the ESC? It can run sensored (has the sensor cable port) or Sensorless, and does not have a motor limit per the specifications.

Maybe just get a different motor for that ESC?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
Why replace the ESC? It can run sensored (has the sensor cable port) or Sensorless, and does not have a motor limit per the specifications.

Maybe just get a different motor for that ESC?
his VXL esc has a LVC problem...