R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Default Help With Traxxas Slash Project

Hi all

Just wondering if some of you well infomed guys can offer some advice?

I ran an 11.1volt lipo in my slash using a Venilon VXL esc and a 5.5t brushless motor.

Only ran it a couple of times but speed was awsome - in fact it ripped the standard tyres apart! not sure what speed it was getting but we estimated 50mph ish.

After second run my VXL esc stopped working correctly - now it just goes into voltage shut-down mode within a minute or so - i have read this is a common problem...

So time to get some upgrades-

already got the 17mm adapters on it and fitted 1/8th rallycross wheels & tyres.

About to buy a Monster Mamba Max esc

My question is which motor do i go for?

A have a traxxas vxl ??

also somoone i know has a Medusa 2200kv motor for sale..

My question is will this be usefull with only 11.1 volts or will it be slow? and require higher volts?

If this motor is no use what do i do? get bigger batteries or a different motor to the VXL or the medus?

Hopefully i can stay with 11.1volts as i have two batteries already..

Your help greatly appreciated

James
shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 326
Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default slash

That is a common problem with the VXL setups.. Quark 125B much cheaper than mamba with alot more option without buying a 25$ cable..also with the 1/8 scale motor and 2000kv you will need to run a Huge pinion gear and a tiny spur I dont think you will find what you need in the hobby shops or even online like a 1:1 gear ratio..I have a AE sc10 with a Quark 80B and a tekin 468 and it hits speeds of more than 70 mph with a 7.4v Kokam battery.. It never thermals (gets to Hot).. and it is A Speed Beast.. but my Center of gravity is way lower than a slash.. Best of Luck with your Speed Basher. You wont be able to race that maybe some track somewhere in time might let you but the Slash around me seams to be So called Box Stock LOL what a joke that is..Peace TnT

lets see the laymers wine about what I have said LOL

Last edited by tntpoof; 03-30-2009 at 01:31 PM.
tntpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Cheers for you reply pal

Looks like i am rethinking again lol!

7000+ KV? i thought that would mean 11.1 * 7000 = 77000 RPM which would be too high for the motor? so far i have been told to keep the KV down when running 11 volts?

Going to have a browse and see how much i can get the sytems you mention for online


Racing wise im ok as my local club here in the UK runs a truck class without limitations on anything!! maybe ill have chance agaisnt those 1/8th brushless convertitions this time !

James



That is a common problem with the VXL setups.. you will not be able to run the vxl brushless motor with mamba monster you will need a esc with the Hall effect cable or in laymans term sensor cable..get a sidewinder setup with a 7000+ k motor. you will be happy or a Quark 125B much cheaper than mamba with alot more option without buying a 25$ cable..also with the 1/8 scale motor and 2000kv you will need to run a Huge pinion gear and a tiny spur I dont think you will find what you need in the hobby shops or even online like a 1:1 gear ratio..I have a AE sc 8 with a Quark 80B and a tekin 468 and it hits speeds of more than 70 mph with a 7.4v Kokam battery.. It never thermals (gets to Hot).. and it is A Speed Beast.. but my Center of gravity is way lower than a slash.. Best ofLuck with your Speed Basher. You wont be able to race that maybe some track somewhere in time might let you but the Slash around me seams to be So called Box Stock LOL what a joke that is..Peace TnT

lets see the laymers wine about what I have said LOL[/QUOTE]
shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
whitrzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 5,750
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntpoof View Post
That is a common problem with the VXL setups.. you will not be able to run the vxl brushless motor with mamba monster you will need a esc with the Hall effect cable or in laymans term sensor cable..get a sidewinder setup with a 7000+ k motor. you will be happy or a Quark 125B much cheaper than mamba with alot more option without buying a 25$ cable..also with the 1/8 scale motor and 2000kv you will need to run a Huge pinion gear and a tiny spur I dont think you will find what you need in the hobby shops or even online like a 1:1 gear ratio..I have a AE sc 8 with a Quark 80B and a tekin 468 and it hits speeds of more than 70 mph with a 7.4v Kokam battery.. It never thermals (gets to Hot).. and it is A Speed Beast.. but my Center of gravity is way lower than a slash.. Best ofLuck with your Speed Basher. You wont be able to race that maybe some track somewhere in time might let you but the Slash around me seams to be So called Box Stock LOL what a joke that is..Peace TnT

lets see the laymers wine about what I have said LOL
just to point out everything that was wrong with what you said
the sidewinder can only hande 3s with a 4600kv, mabey a 5700 with a fan
the VXL motor is sensoreless
the MMM comes with the castle link

there is no FING way that a tekin 540 sized motor will run a sc8 with any kind of power and speed, that your claiming.

Last edited by whitrzac; 03-30-2009 at 07:19 AM.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
whitrzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 5,750
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks View Post
Cheers for you reply pal

Looks like i am rethinking again lol!

7000+ KV? i thought that would mean 11.1 * 7000 = 77000 RPM which would be too high for the motor? so far i have been told to keep the KV down when running 11 volts?

Going to have a browse and see how much i can get the sytems you mention for online


Racing wise im ok as my local club here in the UK runs a truck class without limitations on anything!! maybe ill have chance agaisnt those 1/8th brushless convertitions this time !

James



That is a common problem with the VXL setups.. you will not be able to run the vxl brushless motor with mamba monster you will need a esc with the Hall effect cable or in laymans term sensor cable..get a sidewinder setup with a 7000+ k motor. you will be happy or a Quark 125B much cheaper than mamba with alot more option without buying a 25$ cable..also with the 1/8 scale motor and 2000kv you will need to run a Huge pinion gear and a tiny spur I dont think you will find what you need in the hobby shops or even online like a 1:1 gear ratio..I have a AE sc 8 with a Quark 80B and a tekin 468 and it hits speeds of more than 70 mph with a 7.4v Kokam battery.. It never thermals (gets to Hot).. and it is A Speed Beast.. but my Center of gravity is way lower than a slash.. Best ofLuck with your Speed Basher. You wont be able to race that maybe some track somewhere in time might let you but the Slash around me seams to be So called Box Stock LOL what a joke that is..Peace TnT

lets see the laymers wine about what I have said LOL
[/QUOTE]


you right, that many RPM will shatter the rotor on MOST motors(not castle), if you want speed, I would suggest ether a Tekin R1 and the VXL motor that you have, or buy the MM 5700 combo. the MMM is just overkill for a rustler

most 1/8 motor will be too big for the rustler, but I'v had good luck with the novak HV line of motors in my slash, get the 4.5/5.5 and a few extra drive shafts but you still need an EXPENSIVE sensored esc for them to work well, and convert your rustler to use jato spur gears, and .8mod pinions. 32 pitch IS NOT THE SAME!!
2-3s lipo on these motors are ballistic

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUYM9&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWZH4&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPNW1&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUTA5&P=7
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sikeston, MO
Posts: 53
Send a message via ICQ to arstron Send a message via AIM to arstron
Default

I had a mamba max with 5700kv motor in my slash, it ran great and had tons of speed running on a 6 cell pack, as a matter of fact, I shredded a stock tire as well with this setup the first time out. A mamba max and 5700kv motor will work great on 3 cell, however is going to be a lot of fun trying to hook that up on a dirt track, even with 1/8th rally tires. After almost 3 years and zero maintenance a bearing just went out in my motor. I sure cant complain about that.
arstron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Tech Champion
 
whitrzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 5,750
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arstron View Post
I had a mamba max with 5700kv motor in my slash, it ran great and had tons of speed running on a 6 cell pack, as a matter of fact, I shredded a stock tire as well with this setup the first time out. A mamba max and 5700kv motor will work great on 3 cell, however is going to be a lot of fun trying to hook that up on a dirt track, even with 1/8th rally tires. After almost 3 years and zero maintenance a bearing just went out in my motor. I sure cant complain about that.
cus you need to oil them and finding the 5x16 bearings that they use are a pain in the but!!
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Why replace the ESC? It can run sensored (has the sensor cable port) or Sensorless, and does not have a motor limit per the specifications.

Maybe just get a different motor for that ESC?
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Tech Champion
 
whitrzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 5,750
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
Why replace the ESC? It can run sensored (has the sensor cable port) or Sensorless, and does not have a motor limit per the specifications.

Maybe just get a different motor for that ESC?
his VXL esc has a LVC problem...
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Championship Series Neil Rabara Racing Forum 21252 Today 10:28 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:33 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net