Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being consistant with a one-way.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
If you can disable the drag/auto-brakes in the ESC, it'll help a lot. Otherwise, try adjust the throttle trim to a very small on-power at trigger zero position.
Thanks, I trimmed up(+30%) when I first tried it out and it has helped alot, it's also is great for the starts. I don't have an auto brake feature on my esc, but I dropped my brake down to %30 at full travel which also helped.

Also I put some ae clear silicon grease in my front one-way, I havn't run it yet but it has alot less momentum which I think will help.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That gooey Joel Johnsons diff lube works REAL well on one-way bearings! Seems to be consistent... but i do rebuild it every week after i use it. The 5000 weight diff lube is the same stuff you can buy from Kyosho, and any other company that makes 1/8 scale buggies/cars with sealed differentials... right?

As far as driving style, i was never one that relied on heavy drag brake, and liked the car to flow smooth through the corner off power with a smooth entry and exit line. The transition to a one-way wasnt too hard for me, except in lap traffic, when you roll up on someone so fast and they dont seem to wanna get out of the way and you have to tap the brakes to avoid takin em out. The car will get squirrely and want to spin, and unnerves me. It will take me "out of my groove", whereas, with having ball diffs front and rear, i tap the brakes and im back in the throttle never even thinking about it. In a one-way setup, i do like running a smaller holed piston in the front shocks (#3 piston in front,#2 in the back) to help slow weight transfer to the front, with a 10 weight oil difference front to rear. It seems to be a bit smoother to me than the rear shock tower on the front , and easier to gain off the corner steering w/o having to reduce droop so much. The smaller holed piston lets the front compress slower so it is smooth coming into the corner, and rebound slower so you dont lose your on-power steering as fast to throttle induced lift. Mixed and balanced with the right spring and oil combo front to rear, you can get the one-way setup to roll in and out of the corner smoothly. But it all comes down to personal preference too...

- Dave
Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

fatdoggy: I'm asking for a friend...do they race 1/12th scale at Garlands R/C? Thanks...
Old 12-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

No, if your looking for some 1/12th scale action definately either RCO in PA(bitumen) or The Track at Gaithersburg(carpet). I'm going to try racing at The track at gaithersburg again and see how things go, they changed the race times at garlands and it doesn't suit me anymore...

DaveW - Thanks.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default one way

When i purchased my barracudas I had to learn how to drive with a one way. It took me about 3 monthes to learn how to drive with the one way and once I did i went from the B main to the A main at the outdoor track. The hardest part of using a one way that i found was having your car set up perfectly or your car will spin. MAke sure all the shocks are equal in terms of both fronts are the same and both rears are the same left to right. Also your car must have equal droop i ran with a bit more droop in the rear then in the front and the car handled pretty good. The other problem that i found is that you must stay on the throttle a little in the turns to keep it from going al the way around. With a dual diff car you can just throw the car around and hit the brakes no matter how the car is set up and you'll have okay results but with a oneway it must be set up exactly equal but you'll be much faster.

bg
Old 12-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

With a one-way, it's all about not braking... For good carpet and asphalt rubber setups go to http://www.rczone.net

Become a member and go to the setups section. All of europe's top drivers have their setups posted there, and I have a few great asphalt setups there too!
Old 12-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can always try a spool. I have one in my xray and allows use of brakes and gets you around the corners quicker as well.