Wiki Posts
Search

Wow... New Technology!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Looks like a Corally motor....right?

Well kinda off-topic.

I haven't seen any postst from PharrisWheel in quite some time on the forums lately.
I guess he's working very hard to keep up with the demands.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yea it is, that's not what I run, it was just an old "scrap" motor I had lying around
Old 03-23-2004, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What wattage are those peltiers that are being sold? Ive been testing with a 72W and it doesnt seem to be able to cool the motor enough. Also when you want to run do you just wipe off the ice and go?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Actually when I use the cooler on the motor while its mounted in the car, I get no ice formation. I guess the cold spreads to the areas around it?

I cool it down 30 minutes before the race. After the race, I put the car on a stand with a small fan to cool the motor down before I put the super cooler back on.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For the DIY'ers out there, check out this place to buy stuff from:
http://www.mpja.com

Look under 'cooling modules' for peltier cooling modules. They also carry heatsinks, fans, and even some nice power supplies for charging, etc. $30 for a cooling modules that already has heatsinks attached to both sides!!! 50 deg reduction in temp without even a fan attached to the hot side. Nice. Might have to get me one of those.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Everybody, I havn't been on the boards for awhile(to busy trying to keep up w/orders). I did race today in San Diego and it was the 1st "Hot Weather Test" of my "SuperCooler". Air temps were in the high "80's" and eventhough it took a little longer (30 to 40 min.) to get the motor below freezing (30 degrees) it was working GREAT!
I am no longer making the original "SuperCooler" due to I have exhausted my supply of the heatsink/fan units. I will be making a limited number (about 30 more) of the 2nd generation cooler, The "SuperSuperCooler" It's the one with the 80mm "blue" fan. I'll offer these for $75 (I pay shipping/within the US). Then I'm done.(the wife says I dont spend any time w/the kids). If interested, contact me at [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Wow... New Technology!-supersupercooler8.jpg  
Old 03-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Heh.....rare when the wife tells you to stop making money.

Later EddieO
Old 03-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Hey EddieO, Glad I could help out a fellow racer. How did ya do at your Regionals?

I've done R&D for the r/c industry for almost 30 years now, and if money was the object, I'd be broke!

I have always tried to keep a perspective that it "is" just a hobby. When I stumble on to something that works, I try to share it with as many as possiable. Then the cycle starts over again. I biuld something for myself. Then guys at the track want one for there pit box. Then word gets around (although the internet has gotten this one out of control), and I spend all my "free time" in the shop 'till midnight. All this while coaching both my daughters soccer teams, and dance lessons 4 nights a week (for the girls, not me) oh yeah, and a fulltime job and racing. Somethings gotta go! So after this last production run I'm done--I now have 25 "SuperSuperCoolers" left. There going fast! Thanks, Jeff---TeamPharriswheel
Old 04-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys, just another update. I raced this last weekend here in sothern California. Air temp was 103 degrees, surface/track temp of the freshly sealed asphault parking lot was 160 degrees. Tires were the biggest issue.
The TeamPharriswheel "SuperCooler2" was performing awsome! I was able to get motors down to 41 degrees, pre-race(aprox 65 degrees differential). It was a BIG advantage at the start of races and even more as others heated up(had some fried motors) and those of us using the "SuperCooler2" were running strong at the end of 5 min. heats.
I still have a limited number of the "SuperCooler2" left. If anyone needs one, please PM or email me at [email protected] $75 I pay shipping within the US
Attached Thumbnails Wow... New Technology!-supercooler-tc3.jpg  
Old 05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You have any more for an x-ray?