Wiki Posts
Search

Savage 4.6 Noob needs help ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Savage 4.6 Noob needs help ...

Hello guys, can I ask about transmitters and receivers, for those competition use super expensive ones. Other then the fact it is faster and it has better frequency, what else does it do?

Also, has anyone who owns a savage changed their chassis to the XL version?
Anyone can review it?

For the width difference from the Savage X and the XL is there any mods you can do to compensate?

I am getting a 4.6 soon and thinking of increasing the size, can anyone tell me what things I should add to my savage to also help maintaining or other aspects?

Like:

- Fail Safe (In case TX out of Range)
- Cover for the exposed lower chassis (Keep dirt away from internals)
... anyone can tell me what I more ?

Really Truly Appreciate,
Leon
Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

heard from my fren need to change many parts..no worth it..rather buy a XL..
Old 01-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hye there rionu...kindda agree with peanut...
i'm running a XL while my friend runs a 4.6....and yes...if u plan to upgrade...we are talking a very deep pocket here my friend..

with a good receiver and transmitter...something u can do such the steering curve,traction control (this will help u to not to wheely laa....) and many more..kindda worth it...
Old 01-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by naj18
hye there rionu...kindda agree with peanut...
i'm running a XL while my friend runs a 4.6....and yes...if u plan to upgrade...we are talking a very deep pocket here my friend..

with a good receiver and transmitter...something u can do such the steering curve,traction control (this will help u to not to wheely laa....) and many more..kindda worth it...
agree with u also bro..good receiver and transmitter can do many things..how u find the XL?good?feel like getting 1..
Old 02-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PEANUT18
heard from my fren need to change many parts..no worth it..rather buy a XL..
Im running the SavageX F4.6 for more then 3gallonsand it has no problems at all. Diffs are all still intact. The oni thing that I upgrade is the racing spur and pinion and added the reverse module to the gearbox.The SavageX is a tough beast.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PEANUT18
agree with u also bro..good receiver and transmitter can do many things..how u find the XL?good?feel like getting 1..
that is the best savage la i think....

planing to buy another 1...seriously...
Old 02-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Initiate

I've a 4.6 RTR with a receiver hump battery and reverse module. Being a newbie, I've not fiexed the reverse module yet (not sure how to do it) but I find the hump battery very convenient as you can charge with a external charger without removing the battery box. So far I've ran about 5 tankful of nitro and some of the folks at PORT have advised me to upgrade to aluminium clutch and flywheel. Are there any other option parts to upgarde? What about the HPI Big Bore aluminium shocks? Any expert can advise?

As for the XL, heard that it is a good truck and to updgrade from the 4.6 seems to be quite expensive. You may wish to buy a separate truck. I was tempted and bought it together with my 4.6RTR and it is still NIB. There are many upgraded parts compared to the 4.6 RTR and I feel the price difference is worth it.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Annapura,

Leon here, I have asked a few people from the USA and if you just want the size and width of the XL, just purchase the conversion set from Tai Sing at $160 and wheel spacers, I am not a racer but more of basher hence I will be going for that package just for the size and BASHER ability !!!

See you all soon!

Leon
Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reonu5142
Hi Annapura,

Leon here, I have asked a few people from the USA and if you just want the size and width of the XL, just purchase the conversion set from Tai Sing at $160 and wheel spacers, I am not a racer but more of basher hence I will be going for that package just for the size and BASHER ability !!!

See you all soon!

Leon
If you want the size of the XL from the 4.6, you might as well buy the XL in the first place. But i feel the 4.6 is sufficient for everyday bashing. I own one myself. Just throw in a bigger engine and you are good to go. The stock Nitrostar engine is a .28, just throw is a .30 or bigger, the change to the 3-speed tranny, a bigger set of tire set, a wider body-shell. Good enough already..

Just my 2˘...

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Ivan Hng
If you want the size of the XL from the 4.6, you might as well buy the XL in the first place. But i feel the 4.6 is sufficient for everyday bashing. I own one myself. Just throw in a bigger engine and you are good to go. The stock Nitrostar engine is a .28, just throw is a .30 or bigger, the change to the 3-speed tranny, a bigger set of tire set, a wider body-shell. Good enough already..

Just my 2˘...

Cheers!
Agree with you on buying the XL in the 1st place as the XL cost about $150 more than the 4.6 the last time I checked with LHS in Dec 08.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Annapurna
Agree with you on buying the XL in the 1st place as the XL cost about $150 more than the 4.6 the last time I checked with LHS in Dec 08.
I don't quite think its feasible to buy a 4.6 and üpgrade into a XL. For 150 bucks, i really think its wiser to get a XL altogether. Don't forget that the XL comes with 5.9 (.36cc) engine versus a 4.6 (.28). Better servos, the XL comes stock with 3-speed whereas the 4.6 is 2-speed.