R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
reonu5142's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore - Punggol
Posts: 199
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to reonu5142
Default Savage 4.6 Noob needs help ...

Hello guys, can I ask about transmitters and receivers, for those competition use super expensive ones. Other then the fact it is faster and it has better frequency, what else does it do?

Also, has anyone who owns a savage changed their chassis to the XL version?
Anyone can review it?

For the width difference from the Savage X and the XL is there any mods you can do to compensate?

I am getting a 4.6 soon and thinking of increasing the size, can anyone tell me what things I should add to my savage to also help maintaining or other aspects?

Like:

- Fail Safe (In case TX out of Range)
- Cover for the exposed lower chassis (Keep dirt away from internals)
... anyone can tell me what I more ?

Really Truly Appreciate,
Leon
__________________
http://www.reonu5142.blogspot.com

1/8 Jammin X2 CRT, 1/18 XRAY M18MT, 1/24 Kyosho Mini-Z MR-01
Spending in RC never seems to go away, guess this is the outlet to my $$$$ AHHH!!!!
reonu5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
PEANUT18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastsider
Posts: 682
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

heard from my fren need to change many parts..no worth it..rather buy a XL..
__________________
Xray 808 (09) - OS V-spec - T2060
X2-CRT - GO - 053
X2-CRT - HW - Acepower
PEANUT18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Tech Addict
 
naj18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Johor Bahru,Malaysia.
Posts: 577
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to naj18
Default

hye there rionu...kindda agree with peanut...
i'm running a XL while my friend runs a 4.6....and yes...if u plan to upgrade...we are talking a very deep pocket here my friend..

with a good receiver and transmitter...something u can do such the steering curve,traction control (this will help u to not to wheely laa....) and many more..kindda worth it...
__________________
Slow Is Smooth...Smooth Is Fast...
naj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Tech Addict
 
PEANUT18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastsider
Posts: 682
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj18 View Post
hye there rionu...kindda agree with peanut...
i'm running a XL while my friend runs a 4.6....and yes...if u plan to upgrade...we are talking a very deep pocket here my friend..

with a good receiver and transmitter...something u can do such the steering curve,traction control (this will help u to not to wheely laa....) and many more..kindda worth it...
agree with u also bro..good receiver and transmitter can do many things..how u find the XL?good?feel like getting 1..
__________________
Xray 808 (09) - OS V-spec - T2060
X2-CRT - GO - 053
X2-CRT - HW - Acepower
PEANUT18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
razzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 384
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEANUT18 View Post
heard from my fren need to change many parts..no worth it..rather buy a XL..
Im running the SavageX F4.6 for more then 3gallonsand it has no problems at all. Diffs are all still intact. The oni thing that I upgrade is the racing spur and pinion and added the reverse module to the gearbox.The SavageX is a tough beast.
razzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Tech Addict
 
naj18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Johor Bahru,Malaysia.
Posts: 577
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to naj18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEANUT18 View Post
agree with u also bro..good receiver and transmitter can do many things..how u find the XL?good?feel like getting 1..
that is the best savage la i think....

planing to buy another 1...seriously...
__________________
Slow Is Smooth...Smooth Is Fast...
naj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 47
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I've a 4.6 RTR with a receiver hump battery and reverse module. Being a newbie, I've not fiexed the reverse module yet (not sure how to do it) but I find the hump battery very convenient as you can charge with a external charger without removing the battery box. So far I've ran about 5 tankful of nitro and some of the folks at PORT have advised me to upgrade to aluminium clutch and flywheel. Are there any other option parts to upgarde? What about the HPI Big Bore aluminium shocks? Any expert can advise?

As for the XL, heard that it is a good truck and to updgrade from the 4.6 seems to be quite expensive. You may wish to buy a separate truck. I was tempted and bought it together with my 4.6RTR and it is still NIB. There are many upgraded parts compared to the 4.6 RTR and I feel the price difference is worth it.
Annapurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
reonu5142's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore - Punggol
Posts: 199
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to reonu5142
Default

Hi Annapura,

Leon here, I have asked a few people from the USA and if you just want the size and width of the XL, just purchase the conversion set from Tai Sing at $160 and wheel spacers, I am not a racer but more of basher hence I will be going for that package just for the size and BASHER ability !!!

See you all soon!

Leon
__________________
http://www.reonu5142.blogspot.com

1/8 Jammin X2 CRT, 1/18 XRAY M18MT, 1/24 Kyosho Mini-Z MR-01
Spending in RC never seems to go away, guess this is the outlet to my $$$$ AHHH!!!!
reonu5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
Ivan Hng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 953
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reonu5142 View Post
Hi Annapura,

Leon here, I have asked a few people from the USA and if you just want the size and width of the XL, just purchase the conversion set from Tai Sing at $160 and wheel spacers, I am not a racer but more of basher hence I will be going for that package just for the size and BASHER ability !!!

See you all soon!

Leon
If you want the size of the XL from the 4.6, you might as well buy the XL in the first place. But i feel the 4.6 is sufficient for everyday bashing. I own one myself. Just throw in a bigger engine and you are good to go. The stock Nitrostar engine is a .28, just throw is a .30 or bigger, the change to the 3-speed tranny, a bigger set of tire set, a wider body-shell. Good enough already..

Just my 2˘...

Cheers!
Ivan Hng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 47
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Hng View Post
If you want the size of the XL from the 4.6, you might as well buy the XL in the first place. But i feel the 4.6 is sufficient for everyday bashing. I own one myself. Just throw in a bigger engine and you are good to go. The stock Nitrostar engine is a .28, just throw is a .30 or bigger, the change to the 3-speed tranny, a bigger set of tire set, a wider body-shell. Good enough already..

Just my 2˘...

Cheers!
Agree with you on buying the XL in the 1st place as the XL cost about $150 more than the 4.6 the last time I checked with LHS in Dec 08.
Annapurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
Ivan Hng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 953
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annapurna View Post
Agree with you on buying the XL in the 1st place as the XL cost about $150 more than the 4.6 the last time I checked with LHS in Dec 08.
I don't quite think its feasible to buy a 4.6 and üpgrade into a XL. For 150 bucks, i really think its wiser to get a XL altogether. Don't forget that the XL comes with 5.9 (.36cc) engine versus a 4.6 (.28). Better servos, the XL comes stock with 3-speed whereas the 4.6 is 2-speed.
Ivan Hng is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savage 4.6 Noob needs help ... reonu5142 Monster Trucks 9 01-31-2009 10:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:54 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net