Considering getting into electric, need some advice on chargers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering getting into electric, need some advice on chargers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_switching_vs_linear/
Old 10-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

I have a Quasar pro and I've never had a false peak with it... I like being able to plug it into 110 or use a power supply... I'll charge at 6.5 amps and discharge at 30 amps... The cycle feature is nice to have also... You can adjust the delta peak and also adjust the trickle charge down to zero for nimh packs... I plan to get another charger soon but it's going to be a CE tubo 35...
Old 10-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

^^^^
Do you run on a track were LOTS of people are are running chargers at one time? I still just like the Idea of a sperate power supply and charger and If I can use a lower amperage power supply and still have discharging abilities the price will be very comparable to just buying an AC/DC charger.

Anybody know the anyser to the discharging question? Mabey We should start a new thread on this.

minicooper: I dont have time to read all of that, can you tell us if it answers the question?
Old 10-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Default More Power!

Guys;

Another advantage to suing a seperate Power Supply is:

The Rivergate Bulldog 30A only uses 700 watts current and is rock solid even with a slightly low AC input (as Generators do when loaded down)

I know from experience the Reedy chargers have problems if the AC voltage drops slightly below 120VAC. If the track has commercial power and the wiring is up to code, there should not be a problem.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Im also now considering the 16x9v6 it has all the features of the CDC v6 or 16x5v6 but has a built in 14Amp power supply, it can also run a lathe or motor dyno because the powersupply makes more power than what is needed for the charger. I can also get this charger for $240 at speedtechrc which is based in the US (I think) so I probably shouldnt have any warrenty problems or Japanese Instructions. The only problem that I have with it is that its very big its somthing like 9.5x8x3in. I think Id rather have two smaller units than one large one. I wonder if the power supply in this charger will have problems with low AC voltage.

Does anybody know if the CDC v6 will come with English Instructions if I order it from HK?
Old 10-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

If you are just going to save a few bucks, I suggest buying it in the US instead of HK if you are in the US. It comes with a 5 yr. warranty from Integy.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

If you are going to run a lathe, make sure that it has an adjustable motor run-in/break-in feature. This is what will let you connect it directly to the lathe's motor.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Lets answer that ??? A charger can discharge at higher amps than power supply because discharge can be accomplished by means of resistors in the unit whitch requirer no power .Now i am not sure that all chargers work in this fashion. AE's requirer a large power supply to opperate so could be that discharge is acomplished by some other electrical method which i know little about.........NEXT
Old 10-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So did anybody answer the discharge question in full?? If I have a 10 amp supply....can I use the chargers full discharge rate of 20 or 30 amps?? I say no but I'm looking for clarification. I think minicooper might have answered it but I'm not sure.
Popsracer is right about the Rivergate units...top notch and actually quite reasonably priced.
As for the Integy, I have a 16 x 9 and I like it. Why buy from HK?? Speedtech 240.00, Integy 260.00 and you'll get the support. BTW, did you see the one thats being advertised in the for sale section???
Old 10-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Oops, thanks shoe !!
Old 10-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Discharger and power supply

I don't think power supply amperage and discharge amperage are related in any way. I have a 30 amp Integy discharger that is totally passive ( requires no external power ). My old Quasar Pro discharged at 20 amps but I'm SURE the internal power supply was not 20 amps. Most dischargers use resistors whick basically just turn the power in the battery into heat - that's why they get so hot. I would think the only reason most chargers with built in dischargers need power at all is to monitor the discharge and adjust any internal variable resistor to change the discharge amperage. It will also let you adjust the cutoff.

As far as switching power supplies I have been told that a switching supply just provides power as needed whereas a non-switching supply gives out a constant ( more consistant ) output.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

EvoRacer, how do you like your 16x9? do you have the v6 version? Any problems with it? Does the built in power supply have any problems with slightly lower than normal voltage? I'd think it wouldnt because Intergy kinda makes it sound like their 14 amp power supply is built into this charger. Are you able to run a lathe off of it? I dont think it has any motor run-in features. Does it seem very big to you? Ive also heard the qualities not good, is this true? I The only advantage I see two buying the seperate units now is that if I got a new charger I could keep the same power supply and it would be cheaper for pretty much the same stuff (from HK that is).

"A charger can discharge at higher amps than power supply because discharge can be accomplished by means of resistors in the unit whitch requirer no power."
But are the resisters installed in a regular power supply or DC charger that has discharge features?

Btw, does Intergy have warrenty support in the US for products bought in HK?
Old 10-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

If i were you AE racer i would buy an external power supply as well. The reason being because the external power supplies are powerfuller and can handle the spikes and will filter the power that gets to your charger.
Notice how all the people who say there charger false peaks when it runs off the internal supply.

I use a modded 250watt power supply and i have successfully run a car amplifier, and 2 chargers at the same time off it.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AE Racer

Btw, does Intergy have warrenty support in the US for products bought in HK?
I don't believe so. I think it is sold as a different brand name over there (Eagle).
Old 10-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Evoracer
So did anybody answer the discharge question in full?? If I have a 10 amp supply....can I use the chargers full discharge rate of 20 or 30 amps?? I say no but I'm looking for clarification.
Your power supply has nothing to do with discharging.....
If you connect a charged battery pack to your charger/discharger there should be enough voltage from your batteries to run the charger/discharger. Once your pack is discharged, however, your charger will turn off and not stay on to give you any reading that it might have collected from the discharge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.