Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba max viable for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default -

to answer the question for the thread being started- in my opinion yes the mamba max is good for racing and if u need/want to it can run those low turn brushed motors in ur closet too!
but its just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott54
I think just about everyone at this point has seen a GTB go up in smoke for no reason so I don't know where you're coming from saying that it's always user error.
its not smart to assume or generalize. I have NEVER seen a novak go up in smoke. The only time i HEARD one go up was when the battery wires to the dude's battery were plugged in backwards and the esc blew. AKA user error. Other ESCs (not novaks) ive seen go up were also due to some kind of short, bad solder job, or loose wire. The other time i seen a GTB go up was due to running a brushed motor for extended periods of time with no shottky diode (brushless ESCs do not have shottky diodes built in like brushed ESCs do). Now when that happened, i put a shottky diode on my XBR with brushed and 8 months later, still running strong. What ESC i HAVE seen go up in smoke for, in fact, no reason at all are the ones onthe slashes. Ive seen those things blow like...all the time lol. Seen at least 2-3 go up in tons of smoke.

As far as mamba vs. novak programming, its a moot point. It comes down to personal preference...do i like beeps or do i like LEDs? Still gotta break out the manual and still got watch or listen for cues. The fact that they have it is whats really the good part imo.

and i have heard that CC is working on a sensored system. Dont know the validity of that though.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:22 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
its not smart to assume or generalize. I have NEVER seen a novak go up in smoke. The only time i HEARD one go up was when the battery wires to the dude's battery were plugged in backwards and the esc blew. AKA user error. Other ESCs (not novaks) ive seen go up were also due to some kind of short, bad solder job, or loose wire. The other time i seen a GTB go up was due to running a brushed motor for extended periods of time with no shottky diode (brushless ESCs do not have shottky diodes built in like brushed ESCs do). Now when that happened, i put a shottky diode on my XBR with brushed and 8 months later, still running strong. What ESC i HAVE seen go up in smoke for, in fact, no reason at all are the ones onthe slashes. Ive seen those things blow like...all the time lol. Seen at least 2-3 go up in tons of smoke.

As far as mamba vs. novak programming, its a moot point. It comes down to personal preference...do i like beeps or do i like LEDs? Still gotta break out the manual and still got watch or listen for cues. The fact that they have it is whats really the good part imo.

and i have heard that CC is working on a sensored system. Dont know the validity of that though.
The owner of Castle has posted on another site that a Sensored system is in the works. It would run sensored, sensorless and brushed motors but no time table has been mentioned on its release.

The Mamba Max works great for racing and can take more abuse than most by far. It is still one of the most adjustable systems out and can be programmed either with the laptop or manually. I use both methods with no problems.

The same old addage applies "If you run ROAR racing then the speedo might not be for you since it runs sensorless motors and they are not approved by ROAR".

Last edited by wyd; 10-18-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:07 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

see signature.

R
Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The MM works great for racing, just don't use it with high turn novak/roar legal motors. I have run mine with the following:

Lehner Basic 4200
Aveox RC7
Plettenburg Shadow
Feigao 10L
Rimfire 1000kV
Mega car 10
Feigao 8s
Castle 6900
novak 13.5 (runs ok, 1 out of 10 starts will be slow)
novak 10.5

It runs the roar motors ok, just startup can be a little random sometimes. I have run the mamba with 6, 8, 9, and 12 NiMH cells and with 2 and 3S lipos. It has been in the following vehicles:

TC5
TC3
XXXS
XX4
XXX4
Blizzard
Rising Storm
TA-05
E-Maxx
RC8
E-Firestorm
RC10 T3
Clod
and in Two Boats
Danvo
Custom tunnel

For me it has been a great little ESC.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I know I'm not following the thread either with this but Novak's do smoke for no reason at all. It's not always user error. I think just about everyone at this point has seen a GTB go up in smoke for no reason so I don't know where you're coming from saying that it's always user error.

Also, about having to have a laptop... you don't. I used to use a laptop but then I found out how easy it is to just use your radio to tune your mamba. It is similar to the way a novak is set except for that you are not rushed. Each step, or function, repeats itself until you choose yes or no by either pulling the trigger to throttle or brake. then it will beep twice, letting you know you are on your second step. you do need to the book to know what step you're on but your not rushed like a novak.

Again, a mamba can do EVERYTHING a novak or LRP can do.... and much more.
Well said...^^^

I have seen a hand-full of Novaks go up in smoke myself. These where also in seasoned SPONSERED drivers cars. Just because you have never seen it doesn't mean that it can't happen or if it did it was user error. I think if you'll look around you won't have any problems finding threads about Novak GTB's burning up.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NineHundred
gweed, ur a dumb ***K. mamba max pwns all over novak
i still think haveing to buy or own a laptop to use it and tune it in my opinion sucks. im sure you can race and be competetive with it but why when you can just buy a lrp and be done with it. people at my track have used that and the new losi one. they have all had issues with them. they error and cant hook up to the computer or they spend 2 weeks practiceing to tune right. i have ran it and dident like it compaired to my sphere orion combo and my buddies novak set up. all i'm saying is why go that rout when you can go the other way and run it out of the box with no worries about bringing and ruining your laptop.

on top of that all i have to say is ninehundred-----><------mamba max
Old 10-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gweed
i still think haveing to buy or own a laptop to use it and tune it in my opinion sucks. im sure you can race and be competetive with it but why when you can just buy a lrp and be done with it. people at my track have used that and the new losi one. they have all had issues with them. they error and cant hook up to the computer or they spend 2 weeks practiceing to tune right. i have ran it and dident like it compaired to my sphere orion combo and my buddies novak set up. all i'm saying is why go that rout when you can go the other way and run it out of the box with no worries about bringing and ruining your laptop.

on top of that all i have to say is ninehundred-----><------mamba max
Wow do you even know how to read? This was already being talked about by me and another member on this very thread. The mamba can be adjusted via transmitter (similar to the LEDs of novaks and others) right on the spot if you dont want/have a laptop. A laptop ISNT a requirement just like how a brain isnt a requirement to post on rctech (which is something you've proven to use time and again).
Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Come on man who does not have access to a computer to set up their Mamba these days? Maybe not a laptop at the track but still access to adjust one as you want it. Like mentioned you dont need a computer you can set it up via the transmitter or for that matter just run it as it comes out of the box. Tuning via the computer is a great feature not a bad requirement.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Actually when novaks blow, it IS user error. Plugging something in backwards, a connection going loose, something not being solered right. Its the USER that doesnt know any better that blames the product and thats what you've been seeing. And your adjustability comparison is invalid, you are comparing apples to oranges. A device you can tune with a manual and LEDs that does NOT cost extra is a plus nomatter what. A mamba...you need the laptop to do the fine tuning and you think that doesnt ADD to the cost? I need my $800 laptop to tune my mamba? Unfair comparison. Its nice for those that already have a laptop but most people have a desktop, in which its still an advantage but doesnt compare to "tuning in the car" like the novaks. I have a GTB, a RMF one and an XBR. Not a single problem because i know how to handle my stuff. As i mentioned, i like my sidewinder too. They are all good.

This thread isnt here to bash a product as you so unkowingly ignored, its here to answer the question "is a mamba system viable for racing?" which, at its simplest, results in a resounding yes or no. NOT "well novaks suck so yes, they are viable for racing." Thats OUTSIDE the scope of the question to think your responses through before you type. Better grammar would also help.
A couple things here. I was not bashing novak, as I said I own one and if you would have read my reply you would have seen I answered the question whether the mamba is ok for racing. All I did was simply point out the truth and I am sorry that if in your relativley small and sheltered world you never seen one go up in smoke, but I am here to tell you it happens. As far as having to buy a laptop, that is crap and you know it. I simply said laptop because that is what I own, you can do it on a desktop or manually if you wish and it would seem that most people posting on here have the opportunity to use a computer of some kind. I also said nothing about LRP because I do not own one and know nothing about them. I kept my reply to what I do know and shared it with the rest of the class. I hope my grammar meets your approval, but I didn't know we were going to get graded on our posts! But before you add something that stupid again, I would check your own grammar.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lenman73
A couple things here. I was not bashing novak, as I said I own one and if you would have read my reply you would have seen I answered the question whether the mamba is ok for racing. All I did was simply point out the truth and I am sorry that if in your relativley small and sheltered world you never seen one go up in smoke, but I am here to tell you it happens. As far as having to buy a laptop, that is crap and you know it. I simply said laptop because that is what I own, you can do it on a desktop or manually if you wish and it would seem that most people posting on here have the opportunity to use a computer of some kind. I also said nothing about LRP because I do not own one and know nothing about them. I kept my reply to what I do know and shared it with the rest of the class. I hope my grammar meets your approval, but I didn't know we were going to get graded on our posts! But before you add something that stupid again, I would check your own grammar.
Listen. You have no idea what kind of "world" i live in so i suggest keeping your mouth shut about that kind of stuff. It only makes you look worse when you generalize a stranger's experience. Its obvious that you, too, do not read well as i already went over the laptop thing after that initial post. Still paying attention, weirdo? Okay. Im sorry about everything, i forgot your world is filled with every fact and you every malfunctioning GTB gets sent to the people in your area. You must know oh so much more because your supposed non-sheltered environment is so much more diverse! ha. Yes, i understand electronics go up in smoke. I build computers and work as a computer technician and see failed harddrives, motherboards, videocards, etc all the time. Doesnt mean any of the brands or companies that carry them suck. If my GTB went up in smoke for any reason i would just get a new GTB. I would not jump ship because "oh, i heard this happens alot so they MUST suck. Now i will get something else." It seems as if you and all these people you've seen have their GTBs simply blame novak's quality and thats the end of it. There are such thing as bad batches in the electronics manufacturing industry, which im sure you know because you just seem like you obviously would, and it happens all the time. Different versions require different batches which result in PALLETS of bad batch units that may or may not blow. This is what is likely in Novak's case. Understand the industry, understand how it works in a business related sense, and you realize that units that may blow isnt a quality issue. There really isnt any reason to bash any electronics, really. Everyone takes a chance every time they buy something. Simple as that. Any narrow-minded person can figure that one out.

but all in all remember this:

Last edited by Syber Serulean; 10-19-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Syber Serulean - let's get this straight, you're reaching now for another industry to make what point? And yes, I hate to keep this thread off topic, but you can't just "get a new GTB" because they're going to give you another one with that has a high probability of failure. And they don't just give you one, you have to pay the replacement cost. Castle has recently issued a bad batch of the Monster Maxes and replaced all at no cost. They didn't repair them or ask questions, they admitted a problem and replaced them with a new version.

- I swear I'm never mentioning Novak again on this thread!!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My brother runs a B44 with Mamba system and the 4600 motor and he loves it tons of power and stays cool. I have driven it one time at the track because I did not have my B44 ready I got my B44 going yesterday at the track and I have the LRP sphere tc esc with 7.5 motor because I picked it up off here and saved some money over their new price. I personally feel the LRP is smoother in the bottom than the Mamba BUT the mamba is not that bad you would like either one but if you can get a used LRP for less like I did I would consider it if you are buying new Go with the Mamba since it is cheaper hope this helps

Last edited by dravengary; 10-19-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Old 10-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Syber Serulean - let's get this straight, you're reaching now for another industry to make what point? And yes, I hate to keep this thread off topic, but you can't just "get a new GTB" because they're going to give you another one with that has a high probability of failure. And they don't just give you one, you have to pay the replacement cost. Castle has recently issued a bad batch of the Monster Maxes and replaced all at no cost. They didn't repair them or ask questions, they admitted a problem and replaced them with a new version.

- I swear I'm never mentioning Novak again on this thread!!
1st line in bold (in the quote): that was my point. For the replacement stuff, if you're still under warranty its a free replacement as well. This goes for buying anything. You dont buy a camera and it dies over a year down the line then bash the company for not replacing it for free, makes no sense.

2nd line in bold: That should have been realized when the topic had nothing to do with novak.

and lastly:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.