R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Mamba max viable for racing?

I have a Mamba max with 4600 and 5700. Will these fare well for off road 4wd mod club racing?

I know that it is sensorless, but does it have that much difference in the 'low end' drivability when compared to sensored brushless?

The programming feature is pretty cool.
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I ran the mamba max 5700 setup in a 4wd buggy, Academy SBV2Pro and it worked excellent. the mamba max system works well with the castle motors, and higher Kv motors.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Phixd, I have had a mamba max 5700 for over a year now, never had a problem. It has been in touring cars, 2wd buggy, B44, Slash, and so on...I have bought and sold many cars, but my MM stays and runs solid as the first day, with 2s and 3s lipo batteries..
Question for you, where do you race your 4wd? I'm in North LA as well and sold my B44 because of the lack of 4WD at local tracks. Unless you know of a track that runs them, I'd love to get another one..
Thanks.
flatovercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I race at Hot Rod Hobbies in Saugus. There's a good turnout of 4wd mod guys on tuesday and saturday nights. Where do you race at?

I want to check out OCRC in Huntington Beach, but I'm lazy to drive.
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I'm racing a B44 with a mamba max 6900kv system and love it. The system overal works as well as the sensored ESC and motors on the market. Plus it,s very very tunable as you mentioned!

For 4wd Mod, if I were you I'd be looking at the 5700 rather than the 4600. I don't think the 4600 withh be able to give you the punch 4wd cars can take and still be driveable. The 5700 will surely be sweet though...

Just my 0.02$

CODMAN
CODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you guys are crazy. you should get a lrp sphere or a novak i hear the orion one is pretty good also. sensored is the way to go its smoother and those 3 you dont have to play with the settings on a computer thier punch, brake and drage brake settings are easy to use and very effective. some of the best rc racers in the world use these products. the proof is in the pudding. also some thing to live by K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
gweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweed View Post
you guys are crazy. you should get a lrp sphere or a novak i hear the orion one is pretty good also. sensored is the way to go its smoother and those 3 you dont have to play with the settings on a computer thier punch, brake and drage brake settings are easy to use and very effective. some of the best rc racers in the world use these products. the proof is in the pudding. also some thing to live by K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Actually this is untrue and typical of people who have never tried a mamba or have tried a mamba with the older firmware. I have ran Novak and LRP and I prefer the Mamba. The Mamba is actually smoother than both the Novak and LRP and can handle a lot more abuse. Just because there aren't any mainstream racers using it doesn't mean it isn't at the same level. I won't recommend using it with anything other than a castle motor but with a castle motor it is deadly. If you have any questions with the mamba, you can pm me or email me.

Scott
Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Tech Master

wrong. I've driven with the upgraded software, mamba motor just to see what all the hype was and it still sux. Lrp is king
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
Old 10-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
wrong. I've driven with the upgraded software, mamba motor just to see what all the hype was and it still sux. Lrp is king
Then you go buy the overpriced, non upgradeable equipment the "pros" are using and I'm sure that will make you faster. Opinions are like ##sholes and I think you are kind of coming off as being one. I wish people would quit trying to sway people away from experiencing a real company that cares more about there customer than how many systems they can sell just because they have the best drivers. Castle Creations is a great company with excellent customer service and maybe if you were not caught up in all the "well the pros use it, so it must be better" hype you would actually see that. Does LRP or Novak either one offer free updates, no they just want more money from you so they can pay for advertising and driving talent.
JLinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinney View Post
Then you go buy the overpriced, non upgradeable equipment the "pros" are using and I'm sure that will make you faster. Opinions are like ##sholes and I think you are kind of coming off as being one. I wish people would quit trying to sway people away from experiencing a real company that cares more about there customer than how many systems they can sell just because they have the best drivers. Castle Creations is a great company with excellent customer service and maybe if you were not caught up in all the "well the pros use it, so it must be better" hype you would actually see that. Does LRP or Novak either one offer free updates, no they just want more money from you so they can pay for advertising and driving talent.
They dont offer updates because they dont need to and if 200 is alot of $ then get a real job. 16yr old kids that work at mcdonalds can afford to buy it. I also know a couple of 100% sponcerd guys who use the lrp over their free stuff because its better then the rest. And btw aldo at lrp is the man he'll help u with anything no ?'s asked. So why dont you let the man make his own mind up and not push a company just cause they are the small guy. They dont have the money to get big names for a reason. They need upgraded software because they cant afford a real research and development department. They need their customers to tell them whats wrong and most of their customers dont know what needs to be done to make it better. And If you want to call people names. You better learn who you're talking about first and if we were face to face i garentee you would change your tone tough guy.

"team bad guys"
Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I run the Mamba 4600 in my XX4. Plenty of speed and punch for a 4wd. I have used it in my ZX5 and also my 2wd, same thing, great speed and power. It will take a lot of abuse, and I personally like it better than my Novak stuff. I have 3 different brushless systems, and have had the fewest issues with my Mamba.

Choose for yourself, but I personally will buy another Mamba, when I need another system.
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm trembling with fear. No updates huh, LRP Competition and then the LRP Competition 07, and in Novak's case, GTB, GTB with LiPo cutoff, GTB optimized for Spread Spectrum and then there are the 4 cell units. No I guess they got there's perfect the first time, huh? And once again I have been using the same esc for quite a few years now with free updates. I have used Novak and LRP esc's in the past and they are great esc's but you're the one who said the Mamba system sux, so who is the one pushing what company. And as far as the tone changing, I will always speak my mind and if you can't handle it, then so be it. Never called anyone a name, said you were coming off as, You know the first impression thing.
JLinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

pretty funny stuff. i didn't know having the option to do a variety of configurations, you know, kind of like Novaks old cyclone ESC that had a pit wizard, championship ESC driven by the best, was a BAD thing.
]
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Gweed - First off, why are you even on this thread? The question was if the Mamba Max is viable for racing. Well apparently it is because I'm using it for racing, not bashing. Honestly, your opinions are not necessary because this is not a Mamba vs Castle vs Novak thread. And your comment that it "sux" shows your character. I have said before that I like LRP escs, I don't like Novak's because they're anything but smooth.... that they are almost guaranteed to go up in smoke ( but that's worthy of a thread all it's own ).

Jlinney - Yes, Novak has updated the GTB's.... you are correct. But you've had to buy each new version and what was different on them? The firmware. Wouldn't it had been nicer to just plug it into your computer and just get the newer version?

The bottom line is that the Mamba Max can do everything the top of the line ESCs can do. People just don't seem to want to accept that a ESC that costs less can actually be a better product.

Anybody that sees me at a race, just ask and you're more than welcome to wheel my cars.

Last edited by scott54; 11-03-2008 at 01:25 PM.
scott54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, sensorless is keeping it simple and works just as well as sensored..

http://stivesrc.org.au/
Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote