Removing epoxy ramp on crankshaft...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing epoxy ramp on crankshaft...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Tech Regular

Default Removing epoxy ramp on crankshaft...

What effect would that bring? I found out the hard way that using certain after-run oils (that contain petroleum) damage the epoxy causing it to deteriorate. So now I am forced to remove the epoxy ramp.

FYI: epoxy ramp is that red or clear putty you will see below the carburetor/on the crank if it is lightened. It's on certain engines like the JP raing, Max Power, and Werks Teamline.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The filler is supposed to help aid the air flow throw the crank opening, filling the void when the crank is drilled out for lightening. You can have the crank repaired if needed. Check with Maxy at Maxy's Fuels. I had him repair one of my Novarossi cranks. LMK if you need to reach him. Reid RC is another choice also.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Most good builders can re fill it for you. If you don't feel like being without the motor for so long you can go ahead and run it as is. I doubt you will notice much of a difference.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Questions??

Ive noticed a couple types of crank filler epoxies are being used. Some are soft rubbery silicon feeling, and others are hard. Anyone know what, or where you can get the filler itself? The stuff that OS uses in the Speed motors seems to work the best, anyone know what that is?

?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can do it yourself very easily.... go buy some Threebond 1211 ...tilt the crank back and drizzles the Threebond into the void...it will naturally flow itself out into a smooth surface............. Funny thing is you can likely also use the Racers edge sealant.... which seems identical to Threebond but dyed red .... Make sure you clean the surfaces well then allow the sealant to cure for 48 hours..........its much easier then it sounds ! good luck !
Old 08-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

I spoke to Jim Hottinger @ Fusion Motorsports and he said that the oil from the fuel will seep into the crank and will make it hard for the epoxy to fill and seat into the crank. I'm going to give it a shot and run without the epoxy ramp and see how it goes from there.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh
I spoke to Jim Hottinger @ Fusion Motorsports and he said that the oil from the fuel will seep into the crank and will make it hard for the epoxy to fill and seat into the crank. I'm going to give it a shot and run without the epoxy ramp and see how it goes from there.
Jim knows his stuff but I don't fully agree with him on this one. Clean the crank real good with a q-tip and MEK and anything will stick to it.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Jim knows his stuff but I don't fully agree with him on this one. Clean the crank real good with a q-tip and MEK and anything will stick to it.
I also rough the sides where the filler sits. This helps it to stick to the metal.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

The sole reason for the epoxy ramp is to increase crank pressure and make more power. You will likely get better mileage with the epoxy out because of reduced crank case pressure. The drop in power will be negligible, and you probably won't notice it, unless you are Jared Tebo.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh
What effect would that bring? I found out the hard way that using certain after-run oils (that contain petroleum) damage the epoxy causing it to deteriorate. So now I am forced to remove the epoxy ramp.

FYI: epoxy ramp is that red or clear putty you will see below the carburetor/on the crank if it is lightened. It's on certain engines like the JP raing, Max Power, and Werks Teamline.
you will be fine without it, the Novarossi P5XS comes this way and they run awesome, we fill ours after modding though judt dew to larger center bore diamiter. just be sure to get it all out, if it doesn't work out for ya send it in to us and we can prep and refill it for ya correctly. Good luck
Old 08-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

yo PK whats up ??? didnt get to go to the man cup so i didnt get to see you guys again , everything been good ???
Monty
Old 08-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Another thing you can do if you feel you have to have the filler is to give it it something to bite into. I either take my dremel and cut a few holes and groves into the crank or I drill, tap and put a screw in so the epoxy can fill in around the head and that will hold it in place. But I agree with the people who mentioned there will not be much of a difference in performance. The epoxy certainly doesn't hurt the function of the engine but running a motor without it will certainly not hurt performance either.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions??

If a piece or chunk of the epoxy comes loose, is it soft enough to just shut the engine off.. or will it cause major damage?

Also where can you get this ThreeBond 1211 stuff, and what was its normal use designed for?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inside_Line
If a piece or chunk of the epoxy comes loose, is it soft enough to just shut the engine off.. or will it cause major damage?

Also where can you get this ThreeBond 1211 stuff, and what was its normal use designed for?
if some got hung up in a port the piston would sheer right through it, the worst that could happen is get in the bearings then you need at least a new rear, the 1211 is avalable through performance two stroke shopes, we have one here locally i used to get it from there, it's a gasket maker.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Yup Threebond is what we use. In the dozens of motors we've done, not a single problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.