Community
Wiki Posts
Search

monster stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default monster stock motor

I've decided to get the trinity monster stock motor. My question is what is the difference between the monster stock, and the monster stock pro? There's a 5 dollar difference between the 2 but I dont know if it's worth paying 5 more bucks for the pro. Also is there a break in required for this motor.

And just curious if anyone has or had the losi xxx-s rtr, the 19 turn motor that comes with it, how does it compare in speed and torque and just power to the monster stock? I know one is 19 turns and the other 27 but I was just wondering.

Zach
Old 08-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

1st its well worth spendng 5 dollors to get the pro.

@nd i dont know how well the person had tured there 19 turn losi rtr 19 motor but i seem too lap the person every 4th or 5th lap on a large track
Old 08-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

If you have a hood alignment tool and a comm lathe then just get the standard version and do the basic's youself(align hoods, cut comm, beak in brushes, polish bushings, shim properly....), but if you don't(are too lazy to do work) just buy the pro....
Old 08-13-2003, 06:06 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Unless you're seriously racing, what FD said probably isn't that
important - not worth buying 'Pro' if you're only backyard bashing.

Might as well save that $5 (20%?) and put it towards some good
silicone wires & bullet connectors as they don't come with any.

You will also need a big powerful soldering iron, as the brush
hoods are very efficient at dissipating heat.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, I dont own a lathe or anything and I'm pretty new and I want to race, but realized mod is probably more 2 years down the road after I can drive well, so I figured I'll race stock. To solder the wires onto the motor do I need anything besides the iron, cause it sounds like you need a lot to solder batteries and I'm not sure how different it is. I dont plan on any serious racing, and more bashing with friends than racing so I'll just stick with the plain monster stock.

Also another question, I'm using the gm3 esc that came with my losi, and if I upgraded the esc but kept my motor and batteries and everything else the same would I see a difference in my cars performance?

thanks for your help,
Zach
Old 08-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking ESC upgrade

Originally posted by zachzachz
Thanks guys, I dont own a lathe or anything and I'm pretty new and I want to race, but realized mod is probably more 2 years down the road after I can drive well, so I figured I'll race stock. To solder the wires onto the motor do I need anything besides the iron, cause it sounds like you need a lot to solder batteries and I'm not sure how different it is. I dont plan on any serious racing, and more bashing with friends than racing so I'll just stick with the plain monster stock.

Also another question, I'm using the gm3 esc that came with my losi, and if I upgraded the esc but kept my motor and batteries and everything else the same would I see a difference in my cars performance?

thanks for your help,
Zach
you should see more run time feel mor power from the motor or motors you run and better control of steering from your servo ,,, so have fun , your batteries and motors will like it...
Old 08-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default kind of polish

what kind of polish do you guys use to polish the bushings on the monter stock?
Old 08-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Big Jim recomends "Mother's "Billet" metal polish".
Old 08-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Polish

Ok now that I have the polish, how exactly do I polish the inside of the can (bushing)? Do you use your finger, dremmel? Also if the bushing has scratches on it is it done?
Old 08-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Well I don't do it the 'scientific way' but hey... I get a small drill bit and place some thin cloth that won't break over the end of the bit that dosn't cut. Load the cutting part of the bit into the drill and make sure you lock the cloth in to so that it dosn't just stay still as the bit moves. Then I go ahead and polish away. Just make sure that it polishes all the way through and that the cloth dosn't wear through and damage the bushings. If you have a dremel I'll bet there's a dremel bit that would work perfectely.