Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B.LaFrance
Upon closer inspection, the screws do not actualy looked stripped at all, still nice little hexagons... however my 2.5mm alen wrench is too small for them and my 3mm is too big. Which is odd because I got them in the two speed clutch with the 2.5mm in the first place. I tried SAE sizes and get the same results, either too small or too big. Has anyone else had this problem before? Maybe I need to invest in a better set of drivers.
I stripped mine, and was using a brand new driver at the time. Stripped both of them in fact. Dont worry about getting replacements get these: Z423 Work much better and have a much tougher head area.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, a lot. I'll see if the local shop has any in stock tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

My Latest body............... My favourite part is the Kawahara wheel nuts.............
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0313.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0314.jpg  
Old 02-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nice body. Iam about to make someone the same paint scheme. Who did that body?

Also whats up with the kawahara nuts? Im using the 3racing ones , they weigh next to nothing compared to the stock black r40 ones.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Nice body. Iam about to make someone the same paint scheme. Who did that body?

Also whats up with the kawahara nuts? Im using the 3racing ones , they weigh next to nothing compared to the stock black r40 ones.
The body is done by "my painter", hes a guy that does them for me. Does not really do commercial work. Its obviously a rip off of Haras paint scheme, which I think is fitting for a R40.

The Kawahara nuts do not use the nyloc locking device, they have little teeth that bite into the surface of the rim. They will never come loose.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah thats cool. Its why I started making replicas. Makes the car just feel better doesnt it. LOL.

Also wild stuff on the kawahara...thats a good idea. I noticed with the 3racing they were just real tight. Their still aircraft grade. But just really tight to where they probably wouldnt come off without that.

After I started using them I notice I never get a loose nut.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Initiate

My R40 ready for 2006.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

I did some experimenting today and got some interesting results..

the data does not take into account the angle yet (unfortunately I live in a mini san francisco).. I will do that later..
the motor is the d12x.. still running rich at about 190f..
this is from a dead stop.. I have two more movies to analyze at farther distances and higher speeds..

Old 02-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

I dont know whats going on in that program. But it looks like some cool stuff. Im guessing it takes time/distance and comes up with numbers?

How does it know how far distances are as well as the weight of the car or do you enter this in manually?

Thats really cool, would like to see some live videos of that motor in action.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I dont know whats going on in that program. But it looks like some cool stuff. Im guessing it takes time/distance and comes up with numbers?

How does it know how far distances are as well as the weight of the car or do you enter this in manually?

Thats really cool, would like to see some live videos of that motor in action.
I entered the weight of the car in manually.... I used 1900 grams.. I dont have a scale so I'm guessing on that. as for the distances I set the scale in the program by how tall I am.. 1.75 meters.. or 5'9".. and then you set an origin to go by and plot points each frame of the movie.. the movie is 15 frames a second..

on the seond and third movies I'm still trying to find good frames to use..
but will post that info as well when I'm done..

whats cool is that looking at the velocity points you can see the power stroke of the motor..
Old 02-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hey that's really kewl man. Is that with the HPI RE motor?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Hey that's really kewl man. Is that with the HPI RE motor?
its the sts d12x..
the other motor I have is the hpi .12r xs..
Old 02-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

What's up HARK, Artificial I, AMG racer!!!

Long time no see!

Have you guys seen the new 2005 R-40?
I heard there is a kit to convert the 2004 into the 2005, but don't know where or how much is it, do you?

Check out my lates pics!!

Onnetz whats going on man? cool stuff
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-audi-1.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-audi2.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-audi3.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-audi4.jpg  
Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wow....took a season off and now they come out with an updated R40. Too little too late...or maybe. I say that because I just bought a V 1 RRR WC after hearing all the good things about it. The main thing was the fast cornering of that car. I felt that one thing the R40 suffered from was a bad mid corner push. Now after reading AMgracer post about the mid corner push gone, I may have second thoughts. When I was racing I was running the 2004 edition that I picked up at RC Champ when I was there. I loved the car but it was just not as fast in the corners (on tight tracks) as the Mugen MTX3s at the time. A friend that I raced with had his car pretty dialed but both of us were 3-5 tenths of the pace every lap. It wasn't driving as I can hold my own against these Mugen drivers (before the MTX3 came out). The other thing that I hated about the car was the low quality rear belt. We drive on a high traction track so the setup that most people use is to set their clutch for maximum punch. The problem with that is my rear belt would basically wear very fast and end up stripping both the diff pulley and the layshaft pulley. Front and side belts were okay. First I thought it was just me but the other fast R40 guys were having the same problem. The mugen guys didn't have that problem.

So the question I have is have any of you driven the RRR and the R40 2005? And if you have which would you stick with?

My brother is making a trip to Akihabara this weekend. I asked him to stop by RC champ to see if they sell the 2005 parts seperately. I may just go ahead and build up both and see which one I like. I'm pretty brand loyal (HPI) but after a horrible season with the car I've got a make a change.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Proteus
Wow....took a season off and now they come out with an updated R40. Too little too late...or maybe. I say that because I just bought a V 1 RRR WC after hearing all the good things about it. The main thing was the fast cornering of that car. I felt that one thing the R40 suffered from was a bad mid corner push. Now after reading AMgracer post about the mid corner push gone, I may have second thoughts. When I was racing I was running the 2004 edition that I picked up at RC Champ when I was there. I loved the car but it was just not as fast in the corners (on tight tracks) as the Mugen MTX3s at the time. A friend that I raced with had his car pretty dialed but both of us were 3-5 tenths of the pace every lap. It wasn't driving as I can hold my own against these Mugen drivers (before the MTX3 came out). The other thing that I hated about the car was the low quality rear belt. We drive on a high traction track so the setup that most people use is to set their clutch for maximum punch. The problem with that is my rear belt would basically wear very fast and end up stripping both the diff pulley and the layshaft pulley. Front and side belts were okay. First I thought it was just me but the other fast R40 guys were having the same problem. The mugen guys didn't have that problem.

So the question I have is have any of you driven the RRR and the R40 2005? And if you have which would you stick with?

My brother is making a trip to Akihabara this weekend. I asked him to stop by RC champ to see if they sell the 2005 parts seperately. I may just go ahead and build up both and see which one I like. I'm pretty brand loyal (HPI) but after a horrible season with the car I've got a make a change.

Jeff
I have driven a mates RRR, and regularly beat RRRs and MTX3-4s with my R40 so I am probably not the person to ask. I also am not at the thin edge of the wedge in terms of driving skill either.

My experience is if you are doubting the car is the right choice go with the car you think is the right choice. You can never go wrong with a Mugen. You know you want it.

I have eaten a rear belt on a high grip surface myself. The urethane belts may help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.