Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Hey guys I was wondering about the 4 bevel gear diff mod. What situations are you supposed to use this in?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJLH6&P=M
I would say use it in all situations.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Crap, already ordered my stuff. I heard it was for high-grip as well. Ill have to check out hpiracing.co.jp they normally have good explanations of what parts are set out to do.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks so much for this.
Given this, I think I was correct in assuming that I should lead the engine. It was hotter than usual that day so following the higher air temp and higher humidity, i will lean it out.

Will advice of the results when I test it this afternoon.
Thanks again. Appreciate it.

Here ya go:

Its sometimes a bit different than what you would think and also keep a look out for what the humidity and temperature are.

When you tune your motor and you find the sweet spot and say ok its tuned. That day, go inside and check the weather in your area and record the temp at what time and the humidity. That way the next day, month or year you can check out how it was set on whatever and compare that days humidity to the current and adjust accordling.

Or if your having trouble you can always reference it.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Im guessing whatever the humidity is If the temp is up I would richen it. Always better to go rich and find out then to go lean.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Crap, already ordered my stuff. I heard it was for high-grip as well. Ill have to check out hpiracing.co.jp they normally have good explanations of what parts are set out to do.
Here is what it says, kinda confusing:

From http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/kits/r40/opt.html - 4 bevel diff. gears which show the LSD effect which it stabilizes. Width of setting furthermore spreads by modifying oil viscosity. All the Japanese championship use parts.

Which I have really no clue what that means. Which show the LSD effect, then which is stabilizes? So something that wasnt there is now there and it now stabilizes something that wasnt even there , therefore how could it have been unstable? I dont know, then is says all japanese championship use parts. Does that mean all japanese champ drivers use this part?

If someone wants to take a crack at it , let me know.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Here is what it says, kinda confusing:

From http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/kits/r40/opt.html - 4 bevel diff. gears which show the LSD effect which it stabilizes. Width of setting furthermore spreads by modifying oil viscosity. All the Japanese championship use parts.

Which I have really no clue what that means. Which show the LSD effect, then which is stabilizes? So something that wasnt there is now there and it now stabilizes something that wasnt even there , therefore how could it have been unstable? I dont know, then is says all japanese championship use parts. Does that mean all japanese champ drivers use this part?

If someone wants to take a crack at it , let me know.
It means it was used in the 2003 Japanese GP championship. You can use this part in all situations as I have already said. Virtually every competition GP car except the R40 comes with a 4 gear rear diff.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I'm trying to get my lightweight 2 speed back on the car. But I need the screws for it. I know someone on this forum had hpi to send them a replacement. How did you go about it?, and what did you ask for. Just the screws or the things that are included in the maintnence kit.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
It means it was used in the 2003 Japanese GP championship. You can use this part in all situations as I have already said. Virtually every competition GP car except the R40 comes with a 4 gear rear diff.
Yeah my take on it is it makes limited slip action stronger. So ill have to lookup what increasing the rear limited slip does for handling. Im not really well schooled on limited slips on 4wd cars. I kinda want to know beforehand. Ill let you guys know.

Other than better traction in turns, im wondering what the offset of having too much..or I guess to little limited slip action.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 06-18-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah my take on it is it makes limited slip action stronger. So ill have to lookup what increasing the rear limited slip does for handling. Im not really well schooled on limited slips on 4wd cars. I kinda want to know beforehand. Ill let you guys know.

Other than better traction in turns, im wondering what the offset of having too much..or I guess to little limited slip action.
Increasing the stiffness of the rear diff makes the car apply power better to the ground in a corner and also even in a straight line. A stiffer rear diff makes the car corner better under power but lose some off power turnin.

The 4 gear conversion for the rear diff increases the total surface area of diff gears moving against other diff gears which increases mechanical friction making the diff stiffer. Also since there is more surface area of planetary gears the effect of a given weight of silicone lube is greater than if you only had 2 planetary gears.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
Increasing the stiffness of the rear diff makes the car apply power better to the ground in a corner and also even in a straight line. A stiffer rear diff makes the car corner better under power but lose some off power turnin.

The 4 gear conversion for the rear diff increases the total surface area of diff gears moving against other diff gears which increases mechanical friction making the diff stiffer. Also since there is more surface area of planetary gears the effect of a given weight of silicone lube is greater than if you only had 2 planetary gears.
That makes sense. Thanks. Now the question is how much of a difference will it be. Also is it the same as basically running a thicker weight? Im guessing there is some difference than being just a stiffer diff.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Default Set-up assistance

Guys, need assistance on set-up.
What droop do you guys use in front and in the rear?
I was trying to place 5 droop in the rear. however, when i trued my tires o about 65, the ride height was so low.

With the front, i have the anti-roll bars in place. however, the droop on the right arm is always higher than the droop on the left arm.

Suggestions please.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

That makes sense. Thanks. Now the question is how much of a difference will it be. Also is it the same as basically running a thicker weight? Im guessing there is some difference than being just a stiffer diff.
No real difference. On my diff torque gauge the 2 gear diff with 50K oil is about the same as the 4 gear diff with 30K oil at the start. The 2 gear diff loses its stiffness for some reason tho, the 4 gear never seems to.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone know whether it is possible to run a purple first gear pinion and a green second gear pinion together?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Probally. I know you can run a yellow1st-red2nd. Try it and see.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WeatherB
Anyone know whether it is possible to run a purple first gear pinion and a green second gear pinion together?
It should work, I had a purple first and a green second and it worked quite well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.