Search

GT10 Class

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Back in the day purple fronts and pink rears worked everywhere on asphalt and Purple fronts and white rears were the ticket on carpet.

In testing we have been running Pink or Double Pink Rears and Double Pink fronts on carpet and asphalt. This is the modern tire combo also used on 1/12th cars on any surface when running Mod or 10.5.

If we were running stock or 17.5 we would have changed to a lower bite rear tires on carpet like white.
It would be great if Jaco stepped up and did some Prism rims with lower prices like the 1/12th scale tires now have. I think the lower rpices would help the class grow that much faster. Some yellow rears and Lilac fronts would be nice options as well.

I'm sure you have connections Adrian... See what you can do!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I for one just dont want this to be one of those have vs have not classes where you have guys with all sorts of tires and changing compounds and what not. I dont think that it should be a "handout spec tire" in that sense, but having a tire that everybody runs (if for no other reason than it works). This would keep costs down because unless they are doing something wrong, somebody isnt going to use up a set of tires in one race day.

I also would love it if a company like Jaco were able to make tires based on the new Prizm rims for 1/10 pan.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I for one just dont want this to be one of those have vs have not classes where you have guys with all sorts of tires and changing compounds and what not. I dont think that it should be a "handout spec tire" in that sense, but having a tire that everybody runs (if for no other reason than it works). This would keep costs down because unless they are doing something wrong, somebody isnt going to use up a set of tires in one race day.

I also would love it if a company like Jaco were able to make tires based on the new Prizm rims for 1/10 pan.

Take a look at 1/12th scale and you've got an overwhelming majority of racers using the same compound as other racers in their class. So, it will just take a little while for certain compounds to be the compound of choice on a given surface. It's not like TC where a certain rubber tire is a little faster but might wear many times faster as well. Also, I don't think 1 run foams will be an issue like it can be in TC since it's overwhlmingly not the case in 1/12th.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

I dont doubt what youre saying Ike. That I think will make tires almost a non-issue
Old 03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Adrian or anyone else that knows... Are the 1/10th scale foams anything like the old 1/12th scale foams where they need to be trued down quite a bit out of the package, or are they closer to an acceptable racing size?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

They need to be cut down still.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
I wouldn't say there is hype about it. If you read the first page, you'll understand that we are trying to develop new rules for the new 200mm cars that are coming out. So this is just a discussion of what those rues should be. And what we will try out when the cars "do" hit the market. Once people try it out. Then maybe we can finalize the rule set with everyone's input. Then if tracks want to look for a guideline or rules to go by, we'll have our rules out for them to try.

Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and please don't think I'm the one running the show just because I started the thread. I'm just trying to get a discussion goin and trying to formulate rules from that. So far the only "real" input we have are from those that have run the prototypes...

Body rules is gonna be the hard one...
I agree. Did you get my email Jimmy? We have a pretty extensive list of bodies to go over I think
Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Im trying to find that (and any other bodyset for that matter) on teh Kyoho Website and I cant locate them anywhere.

I am told after talking with:

Bryan Norris

Customer Service/Technical Dept

KYOSHO AMERICA

20322 Valencia Cir

Lake Forest, CA 92630-8158

That they are eather on there way and can be ordered now.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Where would I look on the website for the body sets? (The Kyosho website or the Kyosho USA site)
Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, I checked it out. Body list is giving me a head ache! haha I'm still waiting for a chassis for my PF C6-R!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Yeah, I checked it out. Body list is giving me a head ache! haha I'm still waiting for a chassis for my PF C6-R!
You can make things easy and just allow any 2 door coupe. If you limit it to cars that are technically considered a GT there won't be many shells to choose from. If you limit it to only bodies that race in GT series then you're going to have almost as many choices as if you just allow all coupes and leave out a couple cars that are more or a GT car than many that you're including. The Soarer would be an example of this, it's a very traditional GT car.

People will gravitate to the typical race cars in a GT series anyways, except for some guy that drives a car that that has an RC body available. Why not make him happy and let him run whatever car he drives as long as it's a coupe.

Or, you could do the right thing and only allow Honda Odyssey bodies
Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This class looks very promising... I agree that we've had enough touring bodies already, time for the GTs to kick in!

We are starting to organize a GT-like class here but the ticket for us is finding a nice, inexpensive platform, otherwise would be newcomers get scared about the costs. So far we want to use low cost tourers as both GT and rally platforms (just change tires, bodies, adjust ride height and go)

However, your approach to using 1/10 pan cars is interesting... what's the advantage of using those instead of a low end touring chassis? (say tamiya or hpi sprint for example)...
I love the way the BMI DB10R looks (must be extremely light) but how much do these go for? what other brands are you looking at?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ike
You can make things easy and just allow any 2 door coupe. If you limit it to cars that are technically considered a GT there won't be many shells to choose from. If you limit it to only bodies that race in GT series then you're going to have almost as many choices as if you just allow all coupes and leave out a couple cars that are more or a GT car than many that you're including. The Soarer would be an example of this, it's a very traditional GT car.

People will gravitate to the typical race cars in a GT series anyways, except for some guy that drives a car that that has an RC body available. Why not make him happy and let him run whatever car he drives as long as it's a coupe.

Or, you could do the right thing and only allow Honda Odyssey bodies
That would certainly be a whole lot easier, just opening to any two door coupe. There are all sorts of bodies out there, like Aston Martins, Chevrolets, Fords, etc. What this does is it allows everyone to run what they would like to run but hopefully we at least have some variety as well.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2 door is a great idea body rule wise. It will ban the dreaded sedan and open it up to anything from Exotic Supercars to GT bodies.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
2 door is a great idea body rule wise. It will ban the dreaded sedan and open it up to anything from Exotic Supercars to GT bodies.
Sweet, then I can take the HPI Trans Am and do a modern yet proper "Smokey and The Bandit" tribute body!!!

I think allowing any two door body is the best idea going, it opens all sorts of possibilities for anybody who wants to run whatever coupe they want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.