Wiki Posts
Search

Team Checkpoint 5400 mah Hard Case LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sarcasm noted...

What really shocked and annoyed me the most is their claim of a 20 c cell.

I can live with the fact that it may have been a cheap brand cell, I would prefer a top name brand, but if they won't tell me I can assume it isn't and that is the chance I took.

What I cannot live with, is a false advertisement of a C rating that it does not have. And they are using a name brand cell, WTF.

I know someone that took a Trakpower apart and it had a mid level cell from Enerland. I could not find the specific cell on their sight but the XP suffix notes it to be a 20 or 25 c cell. Why they went with the bottom feeder LP series in the Checkpoints is beyond me. Other than the afformentioned sarcasm. They had to know people would disassemble them eventually.

Tried calling Checkpoint today and could not get anyone to answer the phone. Not that I have any recourse now, it has been disassembled afterall..
Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
PDM
Tech Adept

What team checkpoint have done I think is correct if the intention was to provide a good and cheap battery.

Look, everybody says the Orion 3200 are very good. That said, they are 20C what means we can take out from it 3,2 x 20 = 64A continuous.

With the 5400mah Team Checkpoint 16C we have 5,4 x 16 = 86.4A continous, that is much better then Orion's. You can drive faster with it or if you use the same speed the 5400TC will run cooler. (and longer)

The price they ask for it (that I do not know) could be the problem. But if they are "stronger" then Orion's perhaps they will try to sell it for more money.

What drivers look is power and looking at just the C rate people can not have an ideia of what is the power that a battery will deliver. I would prefer the 5400 at 16c than the 3200 at 20C, because at the end I will need power and the 5400 is more powerful then the 3200.

Last edited by PDM; 02-06-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: explain better
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDM
What team checkpoint have done I think is correct if the intention was to provide a good and cheap battery.

Look, everybody says the Orion 3200 are very good. That said, they are 20C what means we can take out from it 3,2 x 20 = 64A continuous.

With the 5400mah Team Checkpoint 16C we have 5,4 x 16 = 86.4A continous, that is much better then Orion's. You can drive faster with it or if you use the same speed the 5400TC will run cooler. (and longer)

The price they ask for it (that I do not know) could be the problem. But if they are "stronger" then Orion's perhaps they will try to sell it for more money.

What drivers look is power and looking at just the C rate people can not have an ideia of what is the power that a battery will deliver. I would prefer the 5400 at 16c than the 3200 at 20C, because at the end I will need power and the 5400 is more powerful then the 3200.
I think you are missing the point if I read what you posted correctly. The problem is the fact they advertised the cells as 20C.

I have seen the hyperion version of the 5350 enerland pack on www.b-p-p.com . They sell for about $95 shipped, minus the 10% discount they have going on. If it is truly the same cell, seems that that hard case is pretty darn expensive ($130 - $85 after discount).

I guess we just have to wait and see what checkpoint says.

Personally, this whole hardcase lipo thing should have a rule that says manufacturers must state what the model is on the cells they use, even have it stamped on the cells and a "clear" window is present so you can confirm whats in the case. To me, that seems to be a real easy way also to tech a case and make sure that what the case says is whats really in there to a point.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:12 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain
I think you are missing the point if I read what you posted correctly. The problem is the fact they advertised the cells as 20C.
Sorry, I was not aware of that.

Just trying to say "C" are not everything.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks PDM,

Yes I agree, and several have posted the downside to using the "C" rating to determine what cells we use.

If they would advertise it as a 16C cell, such as the Orion 4800, I would not have purchased one for $130.

Just trying to let others know that it is not as advertised so they can make informed decisions.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
the trackpower website has their packs listed as 25C...check it out there
Yea and Checkpoint has their packs rated at 20C on their website.....
Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Legend

Yeah, to me I know I won't be looking at there cells because of this.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Wait, I thought we weren't allowed to know what cells companies are using because it's none of our damn business? I'm shocked, SHOCKED to hear they'd slide a cheap ass cell inside a case and charge a premium for it. Man, I'm surprised nobody thought of that before. Oh wait...

I shouldn't say this.. but this one made me laugh.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
I shouldn't say this.. but this one made me laugh.
Dawn,

curious, is ROAR considering making it a rule that manufacturers must state what band of cells are in there packs?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey Dawn, how about ammending the rules to require the packs have all the internal cell info on the outside of the case...internal cell part #'s, C ratings for both charge and discharge, etc;
Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Wow guys... you want the technology and now you get worried?

I believe our rules of Certificate of Complicance to be submitted with four battery packs covers all of these concerns. We destroy two packs in our testing and the documentation the supplier has to submit will clearly state whats in side the hard case. Below is a section of the published rules. Guys, I really recomend reading the rules.. all of them.... They are extremely informative and state many safety features that are expected to be followed... even off the track and the pit area. (refer to rule # 8.3.1.6 General Information)

This is new technology and we feel as though we provided a very comprehensive set of rules, guidelines and advice as to proper usage. Also, we feel our testing procedures are very complete and the documentation we require and the affiliation we require from the supplier/reseller/distributor also goes a long way in the reliability of the product.

8.3.1.1 Lithium Polymer battery packs may be used to power electric racing cars if a Certification Of Compliance has been received and accepted by ROAR from the manufacturers of the battery packs. The Certification of Compliance indicates that the Lithium Polymer cells
internal to the battery packs have been tested in accordance with UN T1-T8, the United Nations Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, Manual of Test and Criteria (ST/SG/AC.10.11/Rev.4) and passed the acceptance criteria. Lithium Polymer
battery packs that do not have UN certification must pass the ROAR tests listed below and performed by the ROAR Li-Poly Test laboratory. Certification of Compliance to these
test requirements and acceptance criteria shall be provided by the Original Manufacturer of the batteries. The Certification of Compliance will apply to all Lithium-Polymer products from the Original Manufacturer and provided on a one time basis. The Certification of
Compliance can be sent directly to ROAR by the Original Manufacturer or supplied to ROAR by the Value Added Manufacturer that distributes the batteries. A Value Added
Manufacturer must also provide ROAR a Statement of Origin identifying the Original Manufacturer of the cells used in the battery pack and the number of battery packs
provided for sale within North America. The Value Added Manufacturer performs the assembly of cells into battery packs, installs the hard protective case and provides the
electrical hook up points. The Original Manufacturer is the manufacturer of the individual cells.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Dawn,

I'm not at all worried about the technology. I have absolutely no problems with ROARS approval process or the fact that the Checkpoint probably passed it with flying colors. Checkpoint is using a quality cell and a proven case design in the Trakpower. ROAR has went above and beyond with the new rules and guidelines and I think you should all be commended.

I only posted what I did as a little disbelief that the Checkpoint battery that I purchased for $130 is not what it was advertised to be. Not even close. Has nothing to do with ROAR or what you are doing with the new rules.

I have heard through a second hand person that Checkpoint has claimed that they are indeed using 20 C cells and that I must have received a miss manufactured battery.

I have not been able to contact Checkpoint by phone, but rest assured I will continue to try.

Maybe someone else can pull theirs apart and see what is inside.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Legend

Dawn,

For this part:

A Value Added
Manufacturer must also provide ROAR a Statement of Origin identifying the Original Manufacturer of the cells used in the battery pack
Will this information be available on ROARs site so that it can be confirmed what brand of cells are in the packs? Also, does this statement of origin include the model # to be used in the packs? That would make it really easy to trace back what kind of pack you have.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default check point 5400

can someone tell me where Check Point lists this as 20C? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mony
can someone tell me where Check Point lists this as 20C? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.
I pulled this off of towerhobbies

SPECS: Capacity: 5400mAh
Number of Cells in Series: 2
Rated Voltage: 7.4V
Continuous Discharge Rate: 16C
Maximum Recommended Charge Current: 1C (5.4 amps)
Pack Dimensions: 5.4 x 1.8 x 0.9" (137 x 46 x 23mm)
Weight: 8.9oz (253g)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.