R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Exclamation Team Checkpoint 5400 mah Hard Case LiPo

Anyone have any more information on this?

Like cell source, discharge rate, etc?

LOOKS nice, at least. I wish all of the companies jumping on the LiPo bandwagon would include some product details with their new packs. You'd think there would be some carry-over from the NiMh world of recording every piece of data in a label on the cell.

I'm sure we'll see more...
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTPJ4&P=7

looks like an updated trakpower pack
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The balancer appears to be the Hyperion LBA6 which seems to be the OEM of choice for EVERYBODY. Nice balancer, and it's wired for their pack. Orion should take notes. The case looks like it was popped out of the same mold as the TrakPower case. Since it says "engineered by TrakPower" on the sticker, I'm guessing that's the story there. TrakPower normally uses Enerland cells, though who knows what the story is on the 5400.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

I am still a Lipo noob as I havent read up on Lipos because we could not use them, but now that we can, so I gotta get in tune!

Isnt the Orion 3600 still the best back because it has the 25c discharge rating instead of 20c and 15c like others?

When do you have to use the balancer?

Good straight info here

Quote:
READ the ENTIRE instruction sheet included with battery before use
ALWAYS use a LiPo-approved Charger
ALWAYS use a LiPo Cell Balancer
NEVER Charge over 4.2V per cell
NEVER Charge at currents greater than 1C
NEVER Charge through the "To ESC or "DISCHARGE" lead
NEVER Trickle Charge
NEVER allow to Discharge below 2.5V per cell
NEVER disassemble or modify pack wiring in any way or puncture cells
NEVER place on combustible materials or leave unattended during
Charging
ALWAYS Charge in a fireproof location
ALWAYS set charger's output volts to match battery volts
ALWAYS keep out of reach of children
Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr View Post
I am still a Lipo noob as I havent read up on Lipos because we could not use them, but now that we can, so I gotta get in tune!

Isnt the Orion 3600 still the best back because it has the 25c discharge rating instead of 20c and 15c like others?

Good straight info here
TrakPower's are 25C now, I called them (a month or so ago) and got the whole lecture on what they do bla bla, and after all the testing they did, they were putting out 25C....

The orion is cool because its 3600 MAH, so its in the middle MAH wise, and its light (which can be good or bad)
Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Don't get caught up in the C rating to differentiate batteries, it's little more than a marketing term. It's also extremely subjective, since each company gets that information in a different manner. It really doesn't tell the story about a battery at all. Unfortunately, the best way to know the truth about a battery is to know its source, and search for information that way. A lot of times, the plane guys will have already run the cell through a ton of testing, so you can get some information from them.

Balancing depends. The higher quality cells don't really seem to need it, but it doesn't hurt to throw it on the balancer now and then and see where things are at. My Orion packs barely needed any balancing after a year of use, and some didn't need it at all. I've heard the Enerland cells are good at keeping balance as well. It's a nice thing to have, but whether or not you'll really need it is questionable. Luckily, they're cheap, and that plug you see on there can be purchased for just about any balancing tap out there, so you can buy this one (the LBA6) and get a new plug for it down the road if you switch cell brands. Hopefully, though, this internal balancing connector becomes standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr View Post

Good straight info here
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Heres another TrakPower looking pack lol

EDIT, heres the good link

http://www.redrc.net/2007/08/velocit...mah-lipo-pack/

Last edited by BlackedOutREVO; 01-17-2008 at 10:26 PM.
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Since it says "engineered by TrakPower" on the sticker, I'm guessing that's the story there.
Duh... I'm really getting old. I'm overlooking the obvious with EVERYTHING now. LOL.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
...Since it says "engineered by TrakPower" on the sticker, I'm guessing that's the story there...
Checkpoint is getting quite a name for themselves. They seem to be making a habit lately of taking someone elses product, re-labeling it with higher ratings then selling for more money. Kinda backfired with the chargers that are Ice copies with small upgrades that are blowing right and left.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Checkpoint is getting quite a name for themselves. They seem to be making a habit lately of taking someone elses product, re-labeling it with higher ratings then selling for more money. Kinda backfired with the chargers that are Ice copies with small upgrades that are blowing right and left.
is checkpoint owned by x-ra#??
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Looks cool. Hopefully it doesn't turnout like the ICP charge...ice...charger where it got beefed up but blows up :P
Old 01-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Looks like a nice deal with almost identical dimmentions to Orion 4800mah packs.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's interesting, because this pack is shorter than the Trakpower... they must have finally made a cell with "normal" car battery dimensions.

Seems everybody has a house brand version of the Hyperion balancer... at least it's a good product, if seldom needed.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
It's interesting, because this pack is shorter than the Trakpower... they must have finally made a cell with "normal" car battery dimensions.

Seems everybody has a house brand version of the Hyperion balancer... at least it's a good product, if seldom needed.

We need to stop telling people not to use a balancing charger or a balancer. It is by far the safest way to charge a Lipo battery.

What happens when you have one bad cell and it still taking somewhat of a charge but not as fast as the one good cell? If your not using a balance charger will your charger know? Lets just say the bad cell is only at 2.0v and the good cell is at 4.2 volts already. The charger is thinking it is only at 6.2v and it is program to charge at 8.4v max.
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
You'd think there would be some carry-over from the NiMh world of recording every piece of data in a label on the cell.

I'm sure we'll see more...
I hope not. I don't want to see any of the crap that was the world of Nimh carrying over to Lipo.

With the cells being ROAR legal now, I know we probably will see special labels and bogus claims like "matched" and/or "pro" or something like that, but hopefully, just for a little while, people will just be happy with all the benefits of Lipo and not be so interested in making it the headache that Nimh was.