Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mariob62
The 3.0 also has exponential, very useful for Mini.
Like where would exponentials apply to Minis?

Steering? If so, what's the thing to use positive or negative exponential?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Exponential can make your mini less twitchy and sensitive when steering and making quick adjustments.

Different radios interpret positive and negative expo differently, you'd just have to look into your own radio to find out which way to set it.

I myself regard it as negative exponential, to reduce the steering throw at the beginning of the turn.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Different radios interpret positive and negative expo differently, you'd just have to look into your own radio to find out which way to set it.
That would be lame, but I regret to say, it may be true.
Think of it this way.
An exponential is a function that varies very little around 0 (zero=rest or neutral position) and a lot at extreme values (an example is y=e^x) whereas a logarithmic function varies a lot around 0 and very little at higher values (y=lnx).

Some radios (and manuals) will talk about and display "exp", others "ln". These I suppose are short for "exponential" and "logarithmic" (or they should be). Both will scroll from negative (-100%) to positive (+100%) values, meaning probably that say a radio with "exp" applies an exponential response curve when values are positive (say +10%) and a logarithmic response curve when values are negative (say -10%). Of course, when the value is zero, the response wil be linear. The response curves are in reverse of course when the radio talks about "ln". I think this is where the feeling that different radios interpret differently "positive" and "negative" (exponential) comes from.

Clear as mud?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by niznai
That would be lame, but I regret to say, it may be true.
Think of it this way.
An exponential is a function that varies very little around 0 (zero=rest or neutral position) and a lot at extreme values (an example is y=e^x) whereas a logarithmic function varies a lot around 0 and very little at higher values (y=lnx).

Some radios (and manuals) will talk about and display "exp", others "ln". These I suppose are short for "exponential" and "logarithmic" (or they should be). Both will scroll from negative (-100%) to positive (+100%) values, meaning probably that say a radio with "exp" applies an exponential response curve when values are positive (say +10%) and a logarithmic response curve when values are negative (say -10%). Of course, when the value is zero, the response wil be linear. The response curves are in reverse of course when the radio talks about "ln". I think this is where the feeling that different radios interpret differently "positive" and "negative" (exponential) comes from.

Clear as mud?

Indeed

Thanks for the explanation. I´ve been using my 2pm 2.4 radio for some time and I wasn't clear about this.. Once in a race I tried moving the settings on the exponential to 40% positive, and the car handled like crap specially on straights, so I decided, leave the thing at 0% and it would be better....

Gracias!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Another question...

Here in Mexico, we´re about to have the second edition of the 24 hours of Malinalco (yes 24 hours). The thing is some drivers are pushing to run the race with the new m05. My thought is that we know how the m03 handles and the spare parts needed.

If we would happen to run short on spare parts, we could easily take them off from our others m03 and we would still be able to keep on the race. On the other hand, I think there aren´t that many spare parts compatible between both models (chassis is different, uprights, c hubs etc etc).

If it was you, what would you be running the stunning fast m05, or the reliable m03.

Also, I wouldn't ask the organizers just to let the m05 or m03 but instead both mixed......

Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I don't really believe that the M-05 is much, if any, faster than the M-03. It's just a little different and that difference fits the style of some drivers.

The differences in the various M chassis are outweighed by setup and driving skill. EG: The M-04 is faster than the M-03 in many respects. We'll have a starting grid at our club for the A main that's made up of five M-04s and one M-03. The guy driving the M-03, being an amazingly good driver, will often leave the M-04s in his dust, even though he's geared lower and weighs a bunch more. It's all about the driver.

As for compatibility, most everything switches over from the 3 to the 5. The one big exception for the suspension is the upper control arms at the front of the chassis, but they don't break very often anyway.

I think that for an endurance race where repair time might be a factor that an M-03 would be a wiser choice, as it is easier to open up and repair quickly. The M-05 isn't hard to open up, it's just a little more time consuming.

Jim
Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know if there is a TRF shock set for the minis? Perhaps a part number? Also, if there is one, what is the total length of the shock (eyelet to eyelet)?

And lastly, do these shocks use the same assortment of springs as the touring cars from Tamiya (or do they have a different line of springs, perhaps shorter)?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Initiate

All what you asked I don't know, but the part number is 54000
Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I have one O-ring limiter inside the shock shaft, and measuring with calipers from the very top of the eyelet to the bottom and fully extended, its about 54mm.

They use the short spring set from Tamiya. They are pretty inexpensive. The "yellows" and "blues" are supplied with the 54000 shock set even though they are colored white. They have markings on them though.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you, people.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

guys, what is the "wt" size of the Clear Tamiya Oil Shock that include in the M-05Pro Kit.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

if its the yellow oil its 40wt and the clear oil is 50wt, im pretty sure
Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Does anybody know if this Ball Ends would fit the steering linkage?

I just bought a Kimbrough SS and I would like to make my steering with zero slop...

Thank you....
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-ballends.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

I would suggest Tamiya p/n 53601 Low friction adjuster

That's what I run and I have no problem and it snaps over the ball very good.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks a lot Starteur....I just ordered a couple of them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.