Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

M-03R Blue Plated ver. back in stock !
Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FOXY923
I used the 2400 Orion pack in my mini and it was hooked up. I'll never run anything other than lipo again
how much run time did you get before the car slows down close to the cut-off voltage? You definitely can't go wrong with LiPo...

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default MANTA RAY BALL DIFF

G'day monkeyracing,

53072 is the Tamiya Part number for a Manta ray differential Ball and Plate set, which allows you to rebuild the Diff, however you do not get the spur gear.

The set contains everything else for a rebuild including the ball bearings.

Later

Calvin.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
My view regarding the performance between Lipo's and NiMH's in a Mini is that the NiMH's provide more initial voltage and better acceleration. This equates to the performance of the NiMH battery to be better over a five minute race than a Lipo. This is using either a 4200 or 4600 NiMH battery pack.
Calvin.
Due to the diferrence in performance, would u reckon that LiPo users ought to be allowed to run their cars below the minimum weight in order to compensate for the power loss and for a level playing field? Just curious...

I have seen the top guys running NiMh charged at 9.0 amp! Truly phenomenal and absolutely no way for any LiPo to match that...Disregard the need for the proper chassis balancing etc, what i have witnessed is that no matter what, the good drivers will always overcome it some way or another with a lighter chassis equipped with LiPO

Regards,
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

From what ive seen at our local clubs lipo minis have so much trouble with tipping over - traction roll - with lightweight that its not worth it.
And the lightweight doesnt make them go any faster anyway.
9 amp charge? i was told by one of the battery matchers that all that does is burn up your cells and gives a performance boost for about 10 seconds if that
Old 08-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

MTX3-B,

A reduction in weight was discussed, however this was vetoed and the current weight limit remains. I think at the end of the day, you will have some guy's who will want to run NiMH's and others Lipo's.

Not everyone is attempting to drive at the head of the field. Some racers run Mini just for the fun of it.

I know that I try to be competitive and to do that you run what is needed to achieve that aim.

Unfortunately some of us may have the equipment but not necessarily the driving skills to achieve the aim.

However making an Mini 'A' final when I can is enough to keep me happy.

To get a Mini to work with Lipo's you have to add ballast which needs to be added to the correct areas, so as to stop traction rolling. I know that I have added 230gms to mine when I've run Lipo so that it still handles. The secret is to where do you add the ballast???

I have heard there will be an informative article on this subject soon.

CYA

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 08-07-2008 at 04:17 AM. Reason: xtra text
Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herkimer Jitney
From what ive seen at our local clubs lipo minis have so much trouble with tipping over - traction roll - with lightweight that its not worth it.
And the lightweight doesnt make them go any faster anyway.
9 amp charge? i was told by one of the battery matchers that all that does is burn up your cells and gives a performance boost for about 10 seconds if that
The other week i borrowed a lipo for one qualifier. i went from 50grams overweight to 150 grams under. I actually ran slower because as you say, it kept tipping over.. i would take a corner a little tight touch what we use as a ripple strip and it would just roll. I also found i couldnt hold it flat through the sweeper because it kept stepping sideways.

Steve.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You can't just swap out a nimh pack for a lipo and use the same setup without having some problems, same as you can't yank the silver can and put in a stock motor without seeing major changes in the way your car handles.

But if you take the time to change your setup and tires- which takes a LOT of time and experimentation- a non-weighted lipo car actually runs quite well and doesn't roll over any more than a nimh car.

Nonbelievers should check out the Tamiya track at Aliso in two weeks...
Old 08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Spice 40R mini tire coming !
Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What weight is good for a mini?...............and i of cause i will add weight to to stop that................i thought that adding weight would be a given for most if not all people........................also weigh should i add my lead weights? like on top of the lipo in the dimple or on the bottom of the rear half of the chassis?

Regards
Old 08-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drifting101
What weight is good for a mini?...............and i of cause i will add weight to to stop that................i thought that adding weight would be a given for most if not all people........................also weigh should i add my lead weights? like on top of the lipo in the dimple or on the bottom of the rear half of the chassis?

Regards
i am running some YR lipos and have put about 120g in the rear belly. Still not handling the best but its now up 1360g...considering some more right in the rear of the car.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Drifting101

Regards
You want the weight as low on the car as possbile and towards the front of the car. Try covering the bottom of the lipo battery with your weights if using lead. The new TCS weight rule for this years TCS Champs is 1200 grams, 2400 Orion lipo only. The old minimum weight was 1300 grams.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Crashby
You want the weight as low on the car as possbile and towards the front of the car. Try covering the bottom of the lipo battery with your weights if using lead. The new TCS weight rule for this years TCS Champs is 1200 grams, 2400 Orion lipo only. The old minimum weight was 1300 grams.
TCS Rules says 1300g as "New for 2008". Rule #13 in the Mini section (pg 6). However rule #12 says Orion 3200. I'm pretty sure that the 2400 is the handout for the Nationals so maybe the rules are outdated.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FOXY923
TCS Rules says 1300g as "New for 2008". Rule #13 in the Mini section (pg 6). However rule #12 says Orion 3200. I'm pretty sure that the 2400 is the handout for the Nationals so maybe the rules are outdated.
Yes. The rules for this year's mini class at the TCS Nationals in Aliso Veijo are:

1200 grams minimum weight
2400 Orion Lipo batteries.
Motors will be silver can hand out and you have to leave the motors in tech. You cannot take your hand out motor back to your pits!! You go to tech before your heat, put your motor in your car and run your race. After you race, your car goes into impound and after you turn marshall, you go to impound, remove your motor and give it to tech to hold until you next race. We might have to use plugs as well!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.