Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gguertin145
I need to lower the weight on my car as much as possible to run it in multiple classes and one of the places I am looking to do so is in the wiring. Does anyone think I would have a problem if I completely wired my speed control with tq 16 gauge wire for vta with a 2 cell 25.5?
You would probably be better off just shortening the wiring as much as possible. A smaller gauge wire will reduce the flow of power from the battery to the motor.

try using lighter components. Lighter lipo esc servo receiver. This can make a huge difference. If your not using a front spool change to one this can save a lot over a gear diff and a little over a ball diff.

There are a lot of ways to save weight but I wouldn't change the wire size.

Why so light though? We have to make 1550 in vta anyway.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

we run a 17.5 1 cell that is 1280 at one track... I am trying to use one car for both classes and only need the 16g wire in the other class... same as a blinky 12th.

I don't know the electrical side of things and maybe the 2 cell battery just kills any chance of it but the speed differences aren't much so I thought maybe there would be a chance that the wiring could be the smaller wire.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

we run a 17.5 1 cell that is 1280 at one track... I am trying to use one car for both classes and only need the 16g wire in the other class... same as a blinky 12th.

I don't know the electrical side of things and maybe the 2 cell battery just kills any chance of it but the speed differences aren't much so I thought maybe there would be a chance that the wiring could be the smaller wire.
The Novak Mongoose ESC with stock 16 gauge wiring has been tested and found competitive in VTA by several users on this thread.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 AM
Regional Moderator

I need to lower the weight on my car as much as possible to run it in multiple classes and one of the places I am looking to do so is in the wiring. Does anyone think I would have a problem if I completely wired my speed control with tq 16 gauge wire for vta with a 2 cell 25.5?
I've been running 16 ga wire for two years now. No issues, especially since the average current draw for a 25.5 motor is around 6.5A (1050 mAh used in 6 minutes).
Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by tinman79
Really? Ive never had a issue with any Novak product Ive ever had....until last weekend. I bought a ballisitic 25.5 and the sensor board went bad after 2 races. Ill have to call them tomorrow, so Im glad to see positive feed back here.
You can email Charlie, [email protected]. He can have CS mail you a new sensor board.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheBeave
another thing would be to get another set of tires, those fat 31mm tires and wheels on the rear will have a lot of weight.
Those tires and wheels are required by VTA rules. Fronts and rears may not be swapped.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like a lot of USVTA talk. I hope you guys come out to support our main races this year.

We have our Super Bowl and Wrestle Mania of USVTA coming in April and September.

Cya there
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Looks like a lot of USVTA talk. I hope you guys come out to support our main races this year.

We have our Super Bowl and Wrestle Mania of USVTA coming in April and September.

Cya there
When and what type of enduro is in the works this year? huh huh?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE

Cya there
plus, rumors has it there'll be some USVTA shenanigans in the Mid-Atlantic this summer as well
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Can someone summarize for me what can and cant be done to the motor following true usvta rules. Someone in our club told me there are now different stators, end bells, and rotors for these motors. I know I heard some talk about the rotors a while back.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Can someone summarize for me what can and cant be done to the motor following true usvta rules. Someone in our club told me there are now different stators, end bells, and rotors for these motors. I know I heard some talk about the rotors a while back.
The short answer is dont touch it. You can take the ring off but dont grind the endbell and dont use the Novak heatsink/fan combo. You can use a fan on the original motor or on the motor with the center ring off. Dont buy the modified end bell and dont use tuning rotors or ceramic bearings. Im not sure if the Ceramic bearings are officially illegal or not but you are an official dork if you use them. Then you have to wear a bra on your head and a Hello kitty sticker on your car. Just kidding on that last part.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks! We are running a race at the end of the month and want to make sure we have the rules for everyone.

Is there a way to tell if they bought a hand wound stator or not or is it the same thing that comes with the motor? Someone said one is red wire vs orange.... is any of this making sense?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
The short answer is dont touch it. You can take the ring off but dont grind the endbell and dont use the Novak heatsink/fan combo. You can use a fan on the original motor or on the motor with the center ring off. Dont buy the modified end bell and dont use tuning rotors or ceramic bearings. Im not sure if the Ceramic bearings are officially illegal or not but you are an official dork if you use them. Then you have to wear a bra on your head and a Hello kitty sticker on your car. Just kidding on that last part.
Ceramic bearings are legal only because its almost impossible to tech for them. In vta they are a waste on money and they do make you an officially recognized dork.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks! We are running a race at the end of the month and want to make sure we have the rules for everyone.

Is there a way to tell if they bought a hand wound stator or not or is it the same thing that comes with the motor? Someone said one is red wire vs orange.... is any of this making sense?
Make sure you give everyone the link for the rules. The stators are pretty much the same as the rest of the motor just run it like it came using a 25.5 stator. I think there was an epoxy dipped stator in a 25.5 and Im pretty sure that its illegal and not really sure if its any advantage anyway. I think the ones that come with the motor are machine wound. I think Novak Two can chime in on that. Not sure if it improves anything to rewind it yourself. I wouldnt mess with that. Changing the wire has to be illegal. I know that unwinding it is.

If you unwound it and used the same wire to wind it by hand it probably would not be illegal but it probably would not perform any better either and would be a big waste of time and effort and will most likely just smoke your motor and possibly your speed controller and maybe even your lipo. So again I would not mess with that.

Do you have racers winding their own motors?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

No just had people asking questions about what is and is not legal.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.