Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
Yes but it comes down to Rob King rules. If you run the true rules you should follow them. but then again your track my vary. personally if you can get everybody running the true rules I think it's a better deal and has less headaches for the tracks race director. and in my case that would be me!
see we agree...cya Wednesday...
Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default VTA--best racing out there!!!!!

I'm an off road driver primarily but became interested when I saw a local track running VTA. I picked up a XXX-s and a 21.5(still running them at our track--4.2 final drive), got things set up the way I wanted and let my 14 year old son run it last weekend. He won all three heats and the main. It was the first time he ever ran on road. I can't wait till I can get 2 more for me and my other son. It's refreshing to know that I can buy a fairly cheap car and convert it into a competitive racer beating even the top notch chassis out there. I've told my boys about the great times we used to have running tamiya TL01's with spec tires and motors. After 5 minutes we would have 5 or 6 cars nose to tail. Some of the best fun I ever had. Now I get to do it again and share it with my boys. I am reading all this stuff that everyone is posting about changing this and that and complaining about this and that. Believe me the rules are perfect the way they are. The more you mess with them the more people will be frustrated trying to keep up. I'm looking forward to making memories for me and my boys all winter long. That is, to me, the true spirit of this class. Thanks for listening and I hope I gave some of you a litter better perspective.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Yes but it comes down to Rob King rules.
It is and it isn't. I have to take responsibility for the rules in the end, but there are a LOT of people who have contributed to this over the last couple years. All the original Wisconsin racers, Marty Hageman and Doug Carter, who both gave the class a boost and a proper start, the Montana guys, all the Chicago guys who helped test and gave feedback, the East Coast guys, too, all the people who get mad on the internet and complain, and the people who take time to pm and be helpful as well. I still bounce ideas off of people, I don't want everything to be decided in a vacuum. At the same time it functions best as a benevolent dictatorship.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by robk
It is and it isn't. I have to take responsibility for the rules in the end, but there are a LOT of people who have contributed to this over the last couple years. All the original Wisconsin racers, Marty Hageman and Doug Carter, who both gave the class a boost and a proper start, the Montana guys, all the Chicago guys who helped test and gave feedback, the East Coast guys, too, all the people who get mad on the internet and complain, and the people who take time to pm and be helpful as well. I still bounce ideas off of people, I don't want everything to be decided in a vacuum. At the same time it functions best as a benevolent dictatorship.
Treating it like a business........perfect. Keep up the good work Rob and all that help.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *Super*
Defiantly need more of this!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

Originally Posted by kwkride
Nice Camaro, makes me miss my '69 . . .

Nice! I wanted to run some white letter goodyear billboards with 15" minilites but didnt have any braking options that'd hold up to track days worth a damn. I wasn't about to spring for a JL8 package either so I went with 13" wilwoods

I hope this derails this argument about the rules of VTA. Its for fun guys. I've never even raced my VTA RC car. No tracks that I know of in LA...
Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have always enjoyed racing VTA, win, lose or equipment failure.

Having run all the legal powertrains over the years, the racing has never been closer than recently.

King is a bastard though, as he's got too many cool F1s.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
I'll give you that Rob. but talking to Austin he said he taught you everything you know...
Old 11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

I'll give you that Rob. but talking to Austin he said he taught you everything you know...
Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yep
Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daign
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Nice! I wanted to run some white letter goodyear billboards with 15" minilites but didnt have any braking options that'd hold up to track days worth a damn. I wasn't about to spring for a JL8 package either so I went with 13" wilwoods

I hope this derails this argument about the rules of VTA. Its for fun guys. I've never even raced my VTA RC car. No tracks that I know of in LA...

Thanks, but the first one would not play, said it was private. That rolling burnout was awesome!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

so nothing? I'm not trolling I'm looking for honest opinions

again I'll reiterate VTA is a slow class that you might get bashed wither unintentional or out of the drivers wanting something that is not so serious as TC. Plus understand IF you want to be serious about a class and RACE please step up to TC. If you don't like getting punted sometime several times in one lap stay out of VTA. I tell the same thing to the slash stock guys and when I ran it I got bashed by less experienced drivers and accepted it. I want you guys to have fun in the class but you can't go off complaining if someone less experienced takes you out. now if batboy does it to you peel him I do, but I won't do it in touring car there is a difference.

ALSO from the VTA site

http://usvintagetransam.com/

Welcome to the home for the newly created Vintage T/A 1/10th scale R/C road racing class, based on 4wd touring cars. The class rules are developed to provide close racing with controlled chassis, battery, motor, tire and body specifications. The goal of the VTA class is to bring back awesome looking cars in a cost controlled racing format where the result is just plain fun. The speed of the specification package brings close and competitive racing for sportsman, intermediate and experienced hobbyist that rewards driver development.

With a decline in all R/C racing in recent years, racing needs a big shot of fun and excitement--and this is the perfect class. Far more reasonable speeds, low costs, realistic and exciting looking bodies, wheels and tires, less traction and wheel-to-wheel action drive this class. It IS the next big thing. It's appealing not only to spectators, but to new and old racers, alike. For a low initial cost, any prospective Trans-Am racer can get a car, a radio and be racing with very little time or effort. And the fact is that racers who have never raced before can be on the same level playing field as everyone else, and really enjoy doing so.

TNOS

I posted this on my tracks forum. was I off base or too harsh?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

My opinion is that there's no room for rough driving in any class, even VTA. Just like real racing, catching someone and passing them are two different things. A little side-on-side rubbing is the nature of the beast but using the front of your car as a battering ram is unsportsmanlike and, thus, unacceptable. Our drivers are pretty good about policing themselves...if they spin someone out with the front of their car they'll pull to the side and let the tackled driver back past.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottrik
My opinion is that there's no room for rough driving in any class, even VTA. Just like real racing, catching someone and passing them are two different things. A little side-on-side rubbing is the nature of the beast but using the front of your car as a battering ram is unsportsmanlike and, thus, unacceptable. Our drivers are pretty good about policing themselves...if they spin someone out with the front of their car they'll pull to the side and let the tackled driver back past.
Agree 100%
Old 11-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Same here.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

so nothing? I'm not trolling I'm looking for honest opinions
I guess I don't agree with your pushing the better drivers out of VTA and into Rubber Touring Car. Even though it's a good place for beginners to start, it's a spec class that has a lot of qualities that many accomplished drivers like. As a fairly new driver, I like running with the good drivers. It gives me something to shoot for. I don't expect to win anything so who cares.

I think when I get good enough to race rubber TC, I'll have a hard time making the switch. Although it's better than it was last year when timing was allowed, it's still just a very fast parade. Thanks, but I'll take slower cars with lots of tight racing any day.

Now, if USGT takes off, that may be something I'd be interested in. A bit slower than Rubber touring car and they don't all look the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.