Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll post pics of my 416 with the SMC 4000 pack. Nice clean layout. No weights sticking on top of the pack or on the side of the pack. It all sits under it. And it weighs just as much as a 4600 pack. So no weight balancing issues. PPD stainless plate with a lead slab on top of that. Lemme see what I can dig out as far as pics....
Old 03-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Okay, here are some pics. You can see the PPD stainless plate with the Team Fusion Lipo Lead plate stuck together. I used carpet tape for this. With this setup, my SMC 4000 pack weighs 443g. My Express Ener-G 4600 6cell pack weighs 437g. I can use a thinner Team Fusion Lipo Lead plate with the PPD stainless plate to make it weigh less if I want to run brushed motor.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Alum. Rear Upright for TRF416
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-other-06.jpg  
Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

Is this a 3 hole design? If so, I may need to try them out.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Is this a 3 hole design? If so, I may need to try them out.
yes 3 hole
& Tamiya carbon C hub back in stock !
Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Tech Adept

Okay, here are some pics. You can see the PPD stainless plate with the Team Fusion Lipo Lead plate stuck together. I used carpet tape for this. With this setup, my SMC 4000 pack weighs 443g. My Express Ener-G 4600 6cell pack weighs 437g. I can use a thinner Team Fusion Lipo Lead plate with the PPD stainless plate to make it weigh less if I want to run brushed motor.

Do you have problems of the Lipo sliding sideways since the PPD plate is not glued to it?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:25 AM
Tech Adept

Setup question on oversteer ... help

I was running my 416 this weekend at my club and I have a lot of oversteering at entry, in fact even on straights when I am accelerating, if I steer too fast I will oversteer. I tried to compensate by dialing down my dual rate and then my steering speed, but then I loose radius at 180deg corner where I overshoot a lot, or have to slow down a lot to turn.

I am running hard spring front and medium spring rear, both 40wt oil. Front one way and rear ball.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

BTW what brand of brushless motor do you guys run? I have a bad experience with the LRP 4.5 but I like the Sphere.

Any suggestions on a good 3.5/4.5R?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

If you are oversteering on entry, try less rear droop. Also look at your radio settings and try to turn down your steering expo. What radio do you have? I think on Futaba and Airtronics/Sanwa radios you will use negative expo. Maybe around -30/40%. On the Spektrum DX3R it is positive Exponential. This will slow down your steering when you first turn the wheel so that it will not be as twitchy. Also check your front droop as well. This will affect steering when getting on the throttle. You can also try some camber gain in the rear. Do this by adding shims under the rear hub. Or take out shims from the inner camber link on the rear. From my experience, this mostly affects mid corner and exit rear traction.

Brushless, I use SpeedPassion or Express Brushless.

Oh, and I do not have any problems with the battery moving side to side. It is down tight. And pushed all the way in up against the servo mount and motor center brace. So it doe not move at all.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

are those rear metal hubs also made by square?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bboy
Setup question on oversteer ... help

I was running my 416 this weekend at my club and I have a lot of oversteering at entry, in fact even on straights when I am accelerating, if I steer too fast I will oversteer. I tried to compensate by dialing down my dual rate and then my steering speed, but then I loose radius at 180deg corner where I overshoot a lot, or have to slow down a lot to turn.

I am running hard spring front and medium spring rear, both 40wt oil. Front one way and rear ball.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.
Does it oversteer when turning both left and right? If oversteering in one direction, check the tweak. If both, then follow what JimmyMac has explained. Also, I've found that before making any steering exponential adjustments you should change the car to make it work as best possible, then make steering exponential adjustments for fine tuning. Normally, dual rate should be set so your car can do a circle in the tightest lane of the track (~4 feet in diameter).
Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

If you are oversteering on entry, try less rear droop. Also look at your radio settings and try to turn down your steering expo. What radio do you have? I think on Futaba and Airtronics/Sanwa radios you will use negative expo. Maybe around -30/40%. On the Spektrum DX3R it is positive Exponential. This will slow down your steering when you first turn the wheel so that it will not be as twitchy. Also check your front droop as well. This will affect steering when getting on the throttle. You can also try some camber gain in the rear. Do this by adding shims under the rear hub. Or take out shims from the inner camber link on the rear. From my experience, this mostly affects mid corner and exit rear traction.

Brushless, I use SpeedPassion or Express Brushless.

Oh, and I do not have any problems with the battery moving side to side. It is down tight. And pushed all the way in up against the servo mount and motor center brace. So it doe not move at all.
Yes, I use Futaba. My expo is already negative but only by 10%. I will try more next time.

The spinning is mostly on corner entrance.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Stugots
Does it oversteer when turning both left and right? If oversteering in one direction, check the tweak. If both, then follow what JimmyMac has explained. Also, I've found that before making any steering exponential adjustments you should change the car to make it work as best possible, then make steering exponential adjustments for fine tuning. Normally, dual rate should be set so your car can do a circle in the tightest lane of the track (~4 feet in diameter).
I thought tweak is not a problem with 416. Since I am running 6 cells, I am thinking there is no tweak since I don't have the tweak station to try it ...
Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Vicko
are those rear metal hubs also made by square?
not Square !
Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Got some added to my RC MARKET order before it went out the door. I may go aluminum on all the corners, and just drop a weight off the LiPo to keep the car at the minimum.

I have to praise RC MARKET, their quick response and support makes them one of the very best online shops around. You guys make owning a Tamiya much easier, especially when getting parts in the US is a challenge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.