Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking on getting a MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO if it wont ever see a track Ide save yor money and buy something cheaper or a used one. If your looking to race, then go for it, but they arent cheap. Also you dont want to skimp on them in any department including servo's. My R just came today, and Ill be getting it built soon! My 5T Prospec will be here tomorrow too! Damn .28XZ wont be here till mid next week though. Heres some of the goods.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's going to be a nice 'rig when you get done with it. I love my JP3 Pipe!

It does everything well!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Of all the 8th racing kits out there I'd say the mugen and OCM are at the top of the list for being the most complete kits. In terms of what you get, the mugen wins by virtue of it's included tires, but that's the only thing you don't get with the OCM kit and with it costing around $200 less than the mugen, you can buy a lot of tires and still have cash left over for the other stuff you will need to make either car ready to race. Both are fully loaded with parts that will be aftermarket or OEM "hopups" on other kits and both are excellent handling cars. There are a lot of both brands here in my local area and I'd have to give the OCM a slight edge in rough track handling, but it's very close and both kits are built like tanks. They can be broken, but what car can't if pushed hard enough.

I currently have an MBX5, but if I was going to buy a new kit today I'd go with the OCM because of it's better handling, lower price, and excellent support from team OCM. The guy handling the OCM line here in the US is a former mugen factory driver and is doing a great job of insuring OCM customers have everything they need, from super fast order turn around to up the minute setup info. If you plan to race, the level of factory support you will get from OCM is invaluable.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, I will check into OCM. I am not so concerned with cost, I just want a quality buggy that handles well.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

mugen, hyper 8.5, jammin, and losi will all do that and should be fairly easy to get parts for.