R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Thinking on getting a MBX5R (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/179081-thinking-getting-mbx5r.html)

jchas26 08-28-2007 12:08 PM

Thinking on getting a MBX5R

I am thinking on purchasing an MBX5R kit. Does that kit come complete minus radio and servos? Does it come with engine? If so is it a good setup?
Thanks,
J

KForce 08-28-2007 12:22 PM

you need

.21 Engine
Servos
RX Battery
Radio
Fuel
Starter box
Tires

the mugen is a well proven good kit

tex1 08-28-2007 01:11 PM

The Mugen is a very good car. Very planted and stable and can run on worn rubber real well.
Very durable.
Buy your self some motor. It is heavy.
TEX

mugenlife 08-28-2007 02:10 PM

nova rosi bf21 or a werks team line b3 pro would work great in them as does RB c6's and s7's

K.Copeland 08-28-2007 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jchas26 (Post 3622559)
I am thinking on purchasing an MBX5R kit. Does that kit come complete minus radio and servos? Does it come with engine? If so is it a good setup?
Thanks,
J

I'd say if you dont' know what you need for this car, you'd be better off with a "ready to run" buggy. No point in buying a top of line car if you don't know what you have.

jchas26 08-29-2007 07:11 AM

I have a Jammin X1CR RTR, Hellfire RTR, Savage X RTR, 2 RS4 RTRs, and a Losi GTX RTR does that qualify me into the "kit" club yet?:lol:I love them but I want to step up and learn more. Just because I dont know what is in the kit doesnt mean I shouldn't get the car. If I am going to buy a kit, I am going to buy a good one too. I have been into RC in one form or the other for many years and it has taught me when to upgrade and to ask questions before doing so.

windellmc 08-29-2007 08:09 AM

MBX5Rs from Mugen USA have a set of Proline tires in the box.

K.Copeland 08-29-2007 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by jchas26 (Post 3625152)
I have a Jammin X1CR RTR, Hellfire RTR, Savage X RTR, 2 RS4 RTRs, and a Losi GTX RTR does that qualify me into the "kit" club yet?:lol:I love them but I want to step up and learn more. Just because I dont know what is in the kit doesnt mean I shouldn't get the car. If I am going to buy a kit, I am going to buy a good one too. I have been into RC in one form or the other for many years and it has taught me when to upgrade and to ask questions before doing so.

Well, your original question was more on lines of what someone asks if they've never seen an rc car before. You then ask "does that qualify me into the "kit" club?" I dont think so as you asked if this "kit" car came with a radio, servos, and an engine. :confused: That would make it a RTR ;)

BTW, nice avatar!

jchas26 08-29-2007 12:06 PM

yeah as far as the avatar, a penicillin shot cleared that right up. no worries.
What I was saying in my own smartass way was that I have done the RTR thing, now I am ready to make me some buggy action of my own and get in the herd! Really I was asking if it came with an engine. I was reading the manual online and it said on one page Engine- bag K. I took it as it may include one but thought it odd so I was asking if it came with one and if that one was worth using.

thecman26 08-29-2007 10:38 PM

Dude, I say go for it! The Mugen 5R kicks ass! Just get a mild 3 port .21 slapped in it, throw a tough steering servo in, drop a decent throttle servo in, and add your radio gear and you have one heluva fast buggy thats really forgiving! :tire::tire::tire::tire::tire::tire::tire:

K.Copeland 08-29-2007 11:27 PM

Well, if you feel your ready, then make the plunge. Its a good car ( though I had very bad luck with mine because it wasn't very forgiving) but it has some good points.

I'd say read the entire mbx5r thread and find out what problems people are having ( front arms breaking and stripped out pillow balls) .

No engine or electronics with the kit, however it does come with good tires, wheels, body, and a carrying bag.

mugenlife 08-30-2007 10:36 AM

i have about 3 gallons on my R and the only things i ever broke are shock ends.

Crim3Wav3 08-30-2007 10:41 AM

Eddy...tell them about your 8ight experiences also ;)

i've always liked the way the Mugens have handled...though i too have had some breakage issues, more because im a HACK than because of the car....

though the last time my car was on the track it came off with one of the rear outdrive dowel pins in 6 pieces....no kiddin'. Stainless steel pin, exploded like glass.

K.Copeland 08-30-2007 11:29 AM

Oh boy, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Of the 5 Mugens I've owned, the 5r was the worst. I don't car what Mugen says, they change to a stiffer plastic for the arms.

The 8ight. I didn't break a part on that thing, but it was a handfull to drive, very twitchy compared to the Mugen. The Mugen drove like a dump truck.

Mugenlife- how the heck to you break a shock end? Not setting your droop?

Crimewave- I've got some spare Mugen parts if interested. Make sure that bag of shite is together for this weekend, Im sending you over the berm FOR SURE!

mugenlife 08-30-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by xrayeddy (Post 3628865)
Oh boy, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Of the 5 Mugens I've owned, the 5r was the worst. I don't car what Mugen says, they change to a stiffer plastic for the arms.

The 8ight. I didn't break a part on that thing, but it was a handfull to drive, very twitchy compared to the Mugen. The Mugen drove like a dump truck.

Mugenlife- how the heck to you break a shock end? Not setting your droop?

Crimewave- I've got some spare Mugen parts if interested. Make sure that bag of shite is together for this weekend, Im sending you over the berm FOR SURE!

its called big jumps (a few factory sponsored guys did the same thing with different cars.). considering also in mid flight my car hit a light pole a couple of times (its in the track). i dont really see it being weak. on my break in/tune area i run around 2 trees that have bricks around them. needless to say i have clipped them and still no broken or even bent parts. i have broken the pipe mount wire before but that is due to other cars that try using mine as a berm at full speed on a corner you cant go that fast. Im not saying that a mugen is unbreakable but it is far from being weak. your reply would be like me asking you if you didnt have your droop set even side to side, dont ever take off of a jump straight or dont know how to land .... none of my parts on the car even have slop in it yet.