Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo, Indoor Tracks, & "That Guy"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Craps
Sorry, but I just raced at the 2007 ROAR Electric Off-Road Nats with my 8000 mah MaxAmps li-po with Cavalieiri, Maifield and Truhe in the class using them too and will be racing at the 2007 ROAR Gas Truck Nats with perfectly legal li-po reciever and transmitter packs.

Li-pos are safer than nickel batteries if they are handled and charged per the manufacturers instructions.
That may be true that you ran that class at the ROAR nats, but how many people did you race against? Also you conveniently forgot to mention that it was an EXHIBITION class, which was by far NOT the class which had any kind of prestige behind it.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

why are you requiring the hardcased lipos? This would seem to eliminate the maxamps packs and I think packs from apogee as well?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
why are you requiring the hardcased lipos? This would seem to eliminate the maxamps packs and I think packs from apogee as well?
That's just a sample for an indoor track owner who's really hesitant about allowing lipos because of safety concerns.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
That's just a sample for an indoor track owner who's really hesitant about allowing lipos because of safety concerns.

Seems like alot of tracks take that approach as a stepping stone to allowing lipo useage.
If everyone follows simple instructions layed out in this thread all is well. I've seen way more frequent nimh issues but they arent as violent as a lipo failure. I say just require battery removal during charging and must be charged in a lipo sack.
An overcharging condition is easily avoidable by any worried user just charge to 80-85% capacity they perform the same.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

2) Your lipo charger can only be used for charging lipos. (No switching back and forth between lipo and NIMH)

Sneaky Pete PLEASE READ!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea, but that really is shortsighted. If they are worried about punctures, they should illegalize running vehicles which have battery cutouts without underpans. Also, the Li-Mn (Apogee) packs don't suffer from "poking" syndrome. They simply slightly smoke and thats it.

So by the logic of the track wanting the safest possible route, that would mean the Track would only allow Apogee Magnum Li-Mn packs. But see, that cuts out the competition, which is why only stating hard cased batteries is short sighted to development.

1 C Charging.... Not only would this be hard to force, but many packs these days can go beyond as the technology gets better. After all, as this thread states to look forward versus behind. I'm sure limiting it to 1C is going to look foolish and backwards in a year or two as more cells are released that can go 2C and beyond.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

well trak power packs are AWSOME! and hard cased

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...rod=tp49002s19

no one has said anything about those

i just cant wait for the day i can use my 8k packs for the whole raceday

lol, stock tc, i could run the pack all day, the races, practicing

ahhhh
Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Tech Addict

My local track just allowed Lipo's for electric, I was the one that proved to him that the modern Lipo's are much safer than the flyboys tell. I run them on the track in several vehicles for him to see that in all cases, so long as the rules are followed, Lipo's are in fact safer.. I run maxamp 4.4k cells before going to lipo, and a dead short resulted in a poped cell and others leaking. I have never had a trouble with the shrink wrapped Lipo's i have, I run them in everything, from my T4 to my Gmaxx and gorilla revo conversion. I believe the wrapped ones are good as well, they usually have some sort of protection (fiberglass or maybe kevlar type cloth. I have run them through the ringer and have not had troubles, even in the revo Gorilla conversion, that has battery slots. I have never gotten anything close enough to cut the shrink
Old 07-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snickers
That may be true that you ran that class at the ROAR nats, but how many people did you race against? Also you conveniently forgot to mention that it was an EXHIBITION class, which was by far NOT the class which had any kind of prestige behind it.
What part of the word "Class" don't you understand? Even though it was an exhibition class, it must have meant something to most of the top drivers there that raced in it. Cavaleiri won all the mod classes and finished second to team mate Maifield in the Li-po Brushless Truck Class with Truhe who TQed Mod Truck and the Li-po Brushless Truck Class!

Still a class at a ROAR National Event that allowed Li-pos to race in it. The handwriting is on the wall with the future of electric. ROAR also did not limit it to just the BS "hardcase" ones that are a huge joke.

Hats off to ROAR for allowing the future showcased by allowing li-pos to race at a National event to hopefully give ROAR some crediability instead of the same ole bashing it takes all the time.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Craps
What part of the word "Class" don't you understand? Even though it was an exhibition class, it must have meant something to most of the top drivers there that raced in it. Cavaleiri won all the mod classes and finished second to team mate Maifield in the Li-po Brushless Truck Class with Truhe who TQed Mod Truck and the Li-po Brushless Truck Class!

Still a class at a ROAR National Event that allowed Li-pos to race in it. The handwriting is on the wall with the future of electric. ROAR also did not limit it to just the BS "hardcase" ones that are a huge joke.

Hats off to ROAR for allowing the future showcased by allowing li-pos to race at a National event to hopefully give ROAR some crediability instead of the same ole bashing it takes all the time.
Craps,

Do us a big favor and tell Roar to get on the ball with legalizing li-po battery`s....

Maybe next year ? I can wait till when ever before I rejoin , its Roar`s problem after all...

Thank you !!!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Craps,

Do us a big favor and tell Roar to get on the ball with legalizing li-po battery`s....

Maybe next year ? I can wait till when ever before I rejoin , its Roar`s problem after all...

Thank you !!!
Maybe Dawn Sandchez, VP of ROAR will answer this one, but my understanding it will be legalized in certain classes next year and the Li-po Brushless Truck Class will be a regular class next year due to the popularity at the Nats.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what lipos where they using at the truck Nats? were they heat shrink coverd lipos or the Orion Hard Cases?

If they only made the Orion Hard case or carbon fibre legal, then it would make other manufacturers to follow and make their ones in a hard case too.

Just like with sensored brushless. Novak and LRP have taken off becuase they are the only legal brushless motor, and now other manufacturers are making sensored brushless and the unsensored gear like the mamba is left for the bashers.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

It will not surprise me that the mamba will be legal for next year. I think I heard that the actual ESC is legal, its just the motors they use aren't but other types that would work with it are?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GymBeam
what lipos where they using at the truck Nats? were they heat shrink coverd lipos or the Orion Hard Cases?
Both kinds were used on ARCOR's outdoor track.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GymBeam

If they only made the Orion Hard case or carbon fibre legal, then it would make other manufacturers to follow and make their ones in a hard case too.

Just like with sensored brushless. Novak and LRP have taken off becuase they are the only legal brushless motor, and now other manufacturers are making sensored brushless and the unsensored gear like the mamba is left for the bashers.
Both types were used and I don't know why all you guys are hung up on paying almost twice as much for a li-po in a plastic box!!! What a joke!!!

Maybe Dawn will clear this up, but my understanding is ROAR only approves what the manufacturers send them and if they don't send it, ROAR don't approve it.

Castle did not even show interest in the li-po brushless class to have somebody represent them there with the Mamba system. Looks like Tekin will be the only sensorless system approved by ROAR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.