Community
Wiki Posts
Search

News Flash Indoor tracks droppin' like flies

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Trips
I'm talking about such a thing only when theyr'e all there selling on race day at the track... not during the week in their respective shops. And if that seems unreasonable, maybe it's just that it's late and I'm tired...

I'm not looking for a cheap place to race either... I'd be perfectly happy to spend $40 for a race entry fee every week instead of the $15 or $20 that's usually the case. The track has to stay afloat somehow.

All I do know is that when I started realizing that it seemed that 90 percent of the race day crowd was sponsored by an area shop, that I had the notion that when the track died there had to be another way, or else how could a track survive in this area?
Sorry but there's no way in hell I'm paying 40 buck a week in entrance fees alone... Ain't happening... and it's not that I can't afford it, I can.. It's just not worth it....

You need to have a Hobby shop that has a track, not the opposite way around...
Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Ok Guys
I have just spent the last hour and a half reading this thread, and peeps are talking about brining in new blood to 1/10th on road, but I don't see any suggestions.
We have been discusing this for a number of weeks at our club in the UK www.hertfordracing.co.uk and have come up with the following ideas, which I think should benifit all across the globe

1) We as a club thought about having a flyer made to put into our local papers, nothing to fancy, but enough to catch the eye of interest, say A5 size should do it.
2) To approach all schools in the emediate area of the RC club, say a ten mile radius, and spaek with the head teacher of the school and tell them what we are all about. Telling them we can help keep kids off the street and into a worth while hobby, this in turn will hopefully keep Mum/Dad from going down the pub/bar and p*****g the wages up the wall, and get the enjoyment of their little Johnny/Sally racing and having FUN
3) Asking the head teacher if it would be possible to place leaflets in the school canteen for all to see, and best of all, say that we (The Rc Club) can put on a show of our members from the newby upto the better drivers, so that the kids can see anyone can play the game. Bring a few extra cars for them to have ago themselves, you could use a hall or gymnazium, or maybe the playground, as this is where it needs to be seen to bring in new blood.

Hope this helps give some ideas
Cheers Malc TheCanMan
Old 07-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
First I'm not taking issue what you are pointing out here... but I do have something for you to think about....

The difference in lap time between stock to 19T is about .5 seconds, and 19T to Mod, is .5 seconds, so that is only a 1 second difference between stock on Mod. Not at the local level, but the difference is what it could be...

So 19T is not really that much harder on someone and the equipment... or... you have Stock as you know it as Pro stock, and start a econ class, stick batteries (3300), silver can motor, 32 tires.... for the new person... they could get in to R/C at a good price, and it is cheap to run, and they are learning about the setups.... then move up... My point, the top guys need to get out of Stock at the club level, they are killing the newbie... who the hell wants to go to a track and get their butt hand to them weekend after weekend.... very few people..... and low price class would help them have fun.... That is my point....

I do agree with you on the comments about the wear and tear that mod does... and I can understand you not wanting to run it... In fact in my area, mod is not a class that runs.... It is stock, stock or stock.... (Nitro also) But we need to break up the fast guys from the newbies... so 19T was one idea... but maybe go the other way... a slower stock for them....
Last summer I ran 23t in mod for a few races. The last mod race (mid summer) there were just two of us, got really boring really fast, especially when the other guy kept breaking, because he was too fast.

Presently there is no real 19t support in this area. Usually its stock or GT3 which is open chassis Johnson/Mabuchi motor. Last year 1st summer race I decided to try GT3 to practice and test it for TCS. I killed the field so bad that I decided to stick with stock and run 23t mod. The next race day everybody in GT3 said I should run that class and they had no problems if I ran it. So I finished the summer and winter running it with the same guys.

I think the only way a low buck beginner class will work is if you can buy it off the shelf, parts are easy to get and tracks/shops are willing to support it. It would be nice to have something really simple, probalby 4wd, one gear ratio, kit batteries and motors... etc... Tamiya comes close but they don't really have a complete RTR package. I think with BL coming up fast & lipos, that type of kit might be the next best thing. They are already doing it in boats and planes.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Guys just get a nitro 1/8 buggy and be done with it.....plenty of 1/8 off-road competition and tracks to go around!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

True, until 8th scale off road becomes UBER competitive like TC racing has and costs skyrocket. Then the masses will find something else to race.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
If the track can't pull its own weight, then it needs to go. Period. If real estate is too expensive around there, then do a parking lot race. Insurance is a non-issue. Any legitimate business can purchase a rider for a commercial policy for a limited use...pay that (50-100 bucks TOPS) and you're good for a million or two coverage.
Not so, there have been a few parkinglot series around NY & NJ that have gone bye-bye because of the lack of insurance. These series are not businesses perse, they're clubs with no formal paperwork!

I know that property values are exorbitant in NYC, it's the same here in SoCal. We don't race on Wilshire in downtown LA, we race in Montclair, Corona, La Mirada, Beaumont, Hemet...sometimes 30-50 minutes away. Some guys drive 60+ minutes each way to club race a couple times a week.
I used to live in CA, and there's alot more dry land there as opposed to here in NJ where concrete and pavement are the normal ground covering. There's simply less and less viable places to put a track by the day here in NJ/NY/CT. We're already in secluded business parks, out of normal retail sight.

Real estate is why the SoCal R/C track is going bye-bye...Orange County is crazy expensive. Now the hardcore on-road guys are racing at a public rec center on carpet and they resurrected an old on-road track. You gotta do what you gotta do if you want to race. You can't expect everyone else to pay your way by paying extra at the shop, because then the shop isn't viable either.
It's the erosion of the market value that is making the "retail" price seem exorbinant. Who's to blame for that?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Not so, there have been a few parkinglot series around NY & NJ that have gone bye-bye because of the lack of insurance. These series are not businesses perse, they're clubs with no formal paperwork!
If you want to race, you need to act like grownups and get the insurance if the property owners require it. It's available, but don't expect the property owner to do all the work for you. If they demand insurance, then offer to pay for the rider or get your own policy. That's how it works with any public gathering...do a booth at a city street fair and hand out flyers and you'll probably need insurance.

Maybe you guys need to step up and get some "paperwork" and you'll have an easier time getting venues.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doug D
Guys just get a nitro 1/8 buggy and be done with it.....plenty of 1/8 off-road competition and tracks to go around!
A local offroad club had their first race on the shiny new track this weekend. I went to check it out and bum a little driving time ;>

I'm not convinced offroad is cheaper or less hassle. In fact, from what I saw, it was more expensive and more hassle.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A-Ko

I think the only way a low buck beginner class will work is if you can buy it off the shelf, parts are easy to get and tracks/shops are willing to support it. It would be nice to have something really simple, probalby 4wd, one gear ratio, kit batteries and motors... etc... Tamiya comes close but they don't really have a complete RTR package. I think with BL coming up fast & lipos, that type of kit might be the next best thing. They are already doing it in boats and planes.
There is something simple and really nice and fits your above description to a T:

Sportwerks Recoil

Currently A-KO you have all these tracks around you regularly racing them...and this Fall when it gets cold and people flock back to carpet there will be lots more racing in my opinion:

His and Hers
Winthrop Harbor
Duneland Hobbies
Strictly RC

And....if Leisure would put two of them on a shelf for this coming indoor electric season I'd be guys would run them on that small track in the pit area regularly.

It really is a great product to race pretty much right out of the box.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
I'm not convinced offroad is cheaper or less hassle. In fact, from what I saw, it was more expensive and more hassle.
It does seem a little more expensive than meets the eye, but once you have a few sets of tires and you're not bouncing off the walls, it really is cheaper. Tires last a while, at least compared to onroad/asphalt and parts breakage is reduced somewhat, because most of the time, you're not going as fast...plus, the cars are cheaper, simpler and lighter (2wd at least...LOL).
Old 07-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mason
as the saying goes, dirt is for racing.. asphalt is for getting there.
...or asphalt is for racin', dirt is for farmin'............
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Last summer I ran 23t in mod for a few races. The last mod race (mid summer) there were just two of us, got really boring really fast, especially when the other guy kept breaking, because he was too fast.

Presently there is no real 19t support in this area. Usually its stock or GT3 which is open chassis Johnson/Mabuchi motor. Last year 1st summer race I decided to try GT3 to practice and test it for TCS. I killed the field so bad that I decided to stick with stock and run 23t mod. The next race day everybody in GT3 said I should run that class and they had no problems if I ran it. So I finished the summer and winter running it with the same guys.

We are on the same page.... What I plan on doing here is the AE RTR, with a Silver can motor and stick pack of say 1800mah, and 32 Take offs.... This will get a TC in the hands and they can starting working on the setup and driving time. If you win 3 time during the season, your out of this class... on to stock for you... ;-) I still will have 19T has Pro Stock.... 3 wins in Stock and you out of Stock on to Pro Stock... Mod is open to anyone that is running 19T, because you do not need a newbie in mod, they will tear up some stuff and not have a good exprience.... I thought of Mini, but they just will not get to learn about TC and the setup... The RTR is a great car to setup up to "Stock", with a change of the motor and batteries....

That is my take on this....
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

If you want to race, you need to act like grownups and get the insurance if the property owners require it. It's available, but don't expect the property owner to do all the work for you. If they demand insurance, then offer to pay for the rider or get your own policy. That's how it works with any public gathering...do a booth at a city street fair and hand out flyers and you'll probably need insurance.

Maybe you guys need to step up and get some "paperwork" and you'll have an easier time getting venues.
Guys, ROAR has 2 million insurance for a whole 68.00 (or somthing like that) per year, per location... This is what I'm using for the Bass Pro Series and was cleared by the Corp office in MO for us to run once a month in MS. It is simple, the deal, the racers need to join ROAR for the year at cost of 30.00. this is simple...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...or asphalt is for racin', dirt is for farmin'............
Right ON!!!!! Dirt is for gowning things...
Old 07-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Right ON!!!!! Dirt is for gowning things...
What is gowning things?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.