R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #136
Tech Elite
 
vtl1180ny's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wrong Island
Posts: 4,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
I'm talking about such a thing only when theyr'e all there selling on race day at the track... not during the week in their respective shops. And if that seems unreasonable, maybe it's just that it's late and I'm tired...

I'm not looking for a cheap place to race either... I'd be perfectly happy to spend $40 for a race entry fee every week instead of the $15 or $20 that's usually the case. The track has to stay afloat somehow.

All I do know is that when I started realizing that it seemed that 90 percent of the race day crowd was sponsored by an area shop, that I had the notion that when the track died there had to be another way, or else how could a track survive in this area?
Sorry but there's no way in hell I'm paying 40 buck a week in entrance fees alone... Ain't happening... and it's not that I can't afford it, I can.. It's just not worth it....

You need to have a Hobby shop that has a track, not the opposite way around...
__________________
I still lurk....
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #137
Tech Master
 
TheCoolCanFanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Watford
Posts: 1,738
Default

Ok Guys
I have just spent the last hour and a half reading this thread, and peeps are talking about brining in new blood to 1/10th on road, but I don't see any suggestions.
We have been discusing this for a number of weeks at our club in the UK www.hertfordracing.co.uk and have come up with the following ideas, which I think should benifit all across the globe

1) We as a club thought about having a flyer made to put into our local papers, nothing to fancy, but enough to catch the eye of interest, say A5 size should do it.
2) To approach all schools in the emediate area of the RC club, say a ten mile radius, and spaek with the head teacher of the school and tell them what we are all about. Telling them we can help keep kids off the street and into a worth while hobby, this in turn will hopefully keep Mum/Dad from going down the pub/bar and p*****g the wages up the wall, and get the enjoyment of their little Johnny/Sally racing and having FUN
3) Asking the head teacher if it would be possible to place leaflets in the school canteen for all to see, and best of all, say that we (The Rc Club) can put on a show of our members from the newby upto the better drivers, so that the kids can see anyone can play the game. Bring a few extra cars for them to have ago themselves, you could use a hall or gymnazium, or maybe the playground, as this is where it needs to be seen to bring in new blood.

Hope this helps give some ideas
Cheers Malc TheCanMan
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #138
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,949
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
First I'm not taking issue what you are pointing out here... but I do have something for you to think about....

The difference in lap time between stock to 19T is about .5 seconds, and 19T to Mod, is .5 seconds, so that is only a 1 second difference between stock on Mod. Not at the local level, but the difference is what it could be...

So 19T is not really that much harder on someone and the equipment... or... you have Stock as you know it as Pro stock, and start a econ class, stick batteries (3300), silver can motor, 32 tires.... for the new person... they could get in to R/C at a good price, and it is cheap to run, and they are learning about the setups.... then move up... My point, the top guys need to get out of Stock at the club level, they are killing the newbie... who the hell wants to go to a track and get their butt hand to them weekend after weekend.... very few people..... and low price class would help them have fun.... That is my point....

I do agree with you on the comments about the wear and tear that mod does... and I can understand you not wanting to run it... In fact in my area, mod is not a class that runs.... It is stock, stock or stock.... (Nitro also) But we need to break up the fast guys from the newbies... so 19T was one idea... but maybe go the other way... a slower stock for them....
Last summer I ran 23t in mod for a few races. The last mod race (mid summer) there were just two of us, got really boring really fast, especially when the other guy kept breaking, because he was too fast.

Presently there is no real 19t support in this area. Usually its stock or GT3 which is open chassis Johnson/Mabuchi motor. Last year 1st summer race I decided to try GT3 to practice and test it for TCS. I killed the field so bad that I decided to stick with stock and run 23t mod. The next race day everybody in GT3 said I should run that class and they had no problems if I ran it. So I finished the summer and winter running it with the same guys.

I think the only way a low buck beginner class will work is if you can buy it off the shelf, parts are easy to get and tracks/shops are willing to support it. It would be nice to have something really simple, probalby 4wd, one gear ratio, kit batteries and motors... etc... Tamiya comes close but they don't really have a complete RTR package. I think with BL coming up fast & lipos, that type of kit might be the next best thing. They are already doing it in boats and planes.
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #139
Tech Master
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,490
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Guys just get a nitro 1/8 buggy and be done with it.....plenty of 1/8 off-road competition and tracks to go around!
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #140
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

True, until 8th scale off road becomes UBER competitive like TC racing has and costs skyrocket. Then the masses will find something else to race.
Schuie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #141
Tech Elite
 
Greg Sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ...building minis
Posts: 3,237
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
If the track can't pull its own weight, then it needs to go. Period. If real estate is too expensive around there, then do a parking lot race. Insurance is a non-issue. Any legitimate business can purchase a rider for a commercial policy for a limited use...pay that (50-100 bucks TOPS) and you're good for a million or two coverage.
Not so, there have been a few parkinglot series around NY & NJ that have gone bye-bye because of the lack of insurance. These series are not businesses perse, they're clubs with no formal paperwork!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I know that property values are exorbitant in NYC, it's the same here in SoCal. We don't race on Wilshire in downtown LA, we race in Montclair, Corona, La Mirada, Beaumont, Hemet...sometimes 30-50 minutes away. Some guys drive 60+ minutes each way to club race a couple times a week.
I used to live in CA, and there's alot more dry land there as opposed to here in NJ where concrete and pavement are the normal ground covering. There's simply less and less viable places to put a track by the day here in NJ/NY/CT. We're already in secluded business parks, out of normal retail sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Real estate is why the SoCal R/C track is going bye-bye...Orange County is crazy expensive. Now the hardcore on-road guys are racing at a public rec center on carpet and they resurrected an old on-road track. You gotta do what you gotta do if you want to race. You can't expect everyone else to pay your way by paying extra at the shop, because then the shop isn't viable either.
It's the erosion of the market value that is making the "retail" price seem exorbinant. Who's to blame for that?
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #142
Tech Elite
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Not so, there have been a few parkinglot series around NY & NJ that have gone bye-bye because of the lack of insurance. These series are not businesses perse, they're clubs with no formal paperwork!
If you want to race, you need to act like grownups and get the insurance if the property owners require it. It's available, but don't expect the property owner to do all the work for you. If they demand insurance, then offer to pay for the rider or get your own policy. That's how it works with any public gathering...do a booth at a city street fair and hand out flyers and you'll probably need insurance.

Maybe you guys need to step up and get some "paperwork" and you'll have an easier time getting venues.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #143
Tech Master
 
adamge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Saskatoon,SK Canada
Posts: 1,654
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
Guys just get a nitro 1/8 buggy and be done with it.....plenty of 1/8 off-road competition and tracks to go around!
A local offroad club had their first race on the shiny new track this weekend. I went to check it out and bum a little driving time ;>

I'm not convinced offroad is cheaper or less hassle. In fact, from what I saw, it was more expensive and more hassle.
__________________
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #144
Tech Elite
 
chicagokenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post

I think the only way a low buck beginner class will work is if you can buy it off the shelf, parts are easy to get and tracks/shops are willing to support it. It would be nice to have something really simple, probalby 4wd, one gear ratio, kit batteries and motors... etc... Tamiya comes close but they don't really have a complete RTR package. I think with BL coming up fast & lipos, that type of kit might be the next best thing. They are already doing it in boats and planes.
There is something simple and really nice and fits your above description to a T:

Sportwerks Recoil

Currently A-KO you have all these tracks around you regularly racing them...and this Fall when it gets cold and people flock back to carpet there will be lots more racing in my opinion:

His and Hers
Winthrop Harbor
Duneland Hobbies
Strictly RC

And....if Leisure would put two of them on a shelf for this coming indoor electric season I'd be guys would run them on that small track in the pit area regularly.

It really is a great product to race pretty much right out of the box.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #145
Tech Elite
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
I'm not convinced offroad is cheaper or less hassle. In fact, from what I saw, it was more expensive and more hassle.
It does seem a little more expensive than meets the eye, but once you have a few sets of tires and you're not bouncing off the walls, it really is cheaper. Tires last a while, at least compared to onroad/asphalt and parts breakage is reduced somewhat, because most of the time, you're not going as fast...plus, the cars are cheaper, simpler and lighter (2wd at least...LOL).
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #146
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
as the saying goes, dirt is for racing.. asphalt is for getting there.
...or asphalt is for racin', dirt is for farmin'............
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #147
Tech Elite
 
bvoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bedtime with Teddi
Posts: 3,635
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
Last summer I ran 23t in mod for a few races. The last mod race (mid summer) there were just two of us, got really boring really fast, especially when the other guy kept breaking, because he was too fast.

Presently there is no real 19t support in this area. Usually its stock or GT3 which is open chassis Johnson/Mabuchi motor. Last year 1st summer race I decided to try GT3 to practice and test it for TCS. I killed the field so bad that I decided to stick with stock and run 23t mod. The next race day everybody in GT3 said I should run that class and they had no problems if I ran it. So I finished the summer and winter running it with the same guys.

I think the only way a low buck beginner class will work is if you can buy it off the shelf, parts are easy to get and tracks/shops are willing to support it. It would be nice to have something really simple, probalby 4wd, one gear ratio, kit batteries and motors... etc... Tamiya comes close but they don't really have a complete RTR package. I think with BL coming up fast & lipos, that type of kit might be the next best thing. They are already doing it in boats and planes.

We are on the same page.... What I plan on doing here is the AE RTR, with a Silver can motor and stick pack of say 1800mah, and 32 Take offs.... This will get a TC in the hands and they can starting working on the setup and driving time. If you win 3 time during the season, your out of this class... on to stock for you... ;-) I still will have 19T has Pro Stock.... 3 wins in Stock and you out of Stock on to Pro Stock... Mod is open to anyone that is running 19T, because you do not need a newbie in mod, they will tear up some stuff and not have a good exprience.... I thought of Mini, but they just will not get to learn about TC and the setup... The RTR is a great car to setup up to "Stock", with a change of the motor and batteries....

That is my take on this....
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #148
Tech Elite
 
bvoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bedtime with Teddi
Posts: 3,635
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
If you want to race, you need to act like grownups and get the insurance if the property owners require it. It's available, but don't expect the property owner to do all the work for you. If they demand insurance, then offer to pay for the rider or get your own policy. That's how it works with any public gathering...do a booth at a city street fair and hand out flyers and you'll probably need insurance.

Maybe you guys need to step up and get some "paperwork" and you'll have an easier time getting venues.
Guys, ROAR has 2 million insurance for a whole 68.00 (or somthing like that) per year, per location... This is what I'm using for the Bass Pro Series and was cleared by the Corp office in MO for us to run once a month in MS. It is simple, the deal, the racers need to join ROAR for the year at cost of 30.00. this is simple...
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #149
Tech Elite
 
bvoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bedtime with Teddi
Posts: 3,635
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
...or asphalt is for racin', dirt is for farmin'............
Right ON!!!!! Dirt is for gowning things...
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #150
Tech Champion
 
F. Mendoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,232
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
Right ON!!!!! Dirt is for gowning things...
What is gowning things?
__________________
RC America - Xray - Hudy - Gravity RC - KO Propo - Super Rad Graphics

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS FLASH Wild Cherry's brushless motor dies Poweredbysbc Northwest Racers 150 06-05-2013 01:33 PM
NEWS FLASH! TILTYARD VS SGRID! Crashhole R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 02-25-2009 05:13 AM
2 Indoor R/C tracks under one Roof? [email protected] Racing Forum 2 07-05-2004 03:37 PM
Indoor tracks around the world McLaren Electric On-Road 5 12-14-2003 09:22 AM
Trinity Motor News Flash!!!!! JPHRacer Nitro On-Road 10 12-17-2002 11:57 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:44 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net