Wiki Posts
Search

Re-wiring speed control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Re-wiring speed control?

How exactly would I go about re-wiring my speed control with 12 awg wire? I was looking at it, and I don't think the mount holes are big enough for the larger wire. My speed control is a novak gts.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

..the holes in all the NOVAL ESC's I've wired have been big enough....tight but they worked ok.

Very cleanly strip about 1/8" on the end of the wire. I twist it just a little before I tin it...and pre-apply small amount of solder to the solder hole on the ESC (I usually chuck the ESC up in my little hobby vice so free up a hand)

Put the heat to the ESC with the wire tight against where the hole is...once the solder melts, it usually melts the solder in the wire also..and they generally drop right in the hole. Hold steady until the solder goes solid...then yelp and scream...cause it was HOT...LOL
Old 06-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
. Hold steady until the solder goes solid...then yelp and scream...cause it was HOT...LOL
I use long tweezers to hold the wires so I don't burn my fingers.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

What would you be running with a GTS that would require 12 gauge wire?

If you can buy the Novak 14 gauge, it's much easier and less bulky to use. If all you can get is 12, then just trim 1/8, twist it real tight, and carefully tin it so it stays tight. Then you should be able to put your iron under the hole on the speedo and slip the that fat wire into it when she gets hot. 12 is a beech because it wicks a lot of heat before it gets hot enough to solder.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

A wise man that solders for a living told me that if the wire gets too hot, you are doing something wrong. Also, if the wire gets that hot, what is happening to the PCB?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

LOL, I've tried Tweazers, locking Tweazers..needle nose pliers..and prefer the PAIN ...and being able to see and feel what I'm doing. If I feel the heat that the wire doesn't slip into the hole..I know I'm not getting the heat in the right place...(and I hate soldering to circuit boards...)
Old 06-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
What would you be running with a GTS that would require 12 gauge wire?

If you can buy the Novak 14 gauge, it's much easier and less bulky to use. If all you can get is 12, then just trim 1/8, twist it real tight, and carefully tin it so it stays tight. Then you should be able to put your iron under the hole on the speedo and slip the that fat wire into it when she gets hot. 12 is a beech because it wicks a lot of heat before it gets hot enough to solder.
I kinda messed up the standard wiring on it, and all I can get is 12 awg. I'd like to rewire it so it looks a lot cleaner.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey TimV, if you don't have a hobby vise, use some good servo tape (Parma makes the best) clean your work area with some motor spray where you plan to put the ESC, then put some motor spray on a paper towel and clean the side opposite the wires, apply the servo tape, and it should be solid. I used this when I rewired my GTS and it worked great, other than I am crappy at soldering and melted the case a little, oops
Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

ITs much easier if you make sure the holes in the esc are clear of solder. Still tinned but not glopped over closed. Heat up the ESC terminals and whipe off excess solder or use a solder sucker(radio shack has them). If nesasary use a small reamer to clean the holes and then with you pre twisted pre tinned wire they should just drop into the holes. From there its as simple as heating up the wire from the under side of the esc untill the solder flows to the esc.

Its very hard it your trying to heat esc and push the wire into the holes while everything is hot, its much easier to simply have the wires slip into the holes cold
Old 06-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Joel is right, a solder sucker, or solder wick is best to clean the holes, but if you dont have any, heat up the hole and tap the ESC on a table and the solder will come out. Be careful as the solder can splatter and burn you.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

THANKS BIG

On a side note, on older ESCs that will only take 14guage. And all you have is MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE 12 GUAGE wire i would simply trim off enough to make it 14guage where it solders to the ESC while leaving the rest in its original MACHO thickness Done it a few times on my GMV12WC