20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Tech Master

It's good to see the 15 to 20 minute electric mains break out all over the country now and including the RC Pro Series-Nitro allowing the electrics to race with the gas trucks for 30 minute mains!!!

A true test for electric powered equipment reliability and performance!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

It's good to see that the more technical classes in r/c racing are starting to grow. I would still like to see losi & associated release a gear diff for these classes. Li//bl truck is the perfect entry class into r/c racing, however most newcomers will not know how to properly maintain a ball diff. Instead they will burn diffs up when they get loose & get frustrated.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I see a guy is selling 8000mah 10C packs online for about $60 shipped. May see about trying a pack.

So how is that E-Firestorm working out for ya against the competition?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know yet. I've had too much other stuff on my plate to really spend a good weekend tuning & racing the car. Check the dimensions on those 10c packs. Truerc.net was saling loose 10c 8kmah 3.7volt cells for like $20 b4 they redid them to fit r/c cars. If they are the same pack then they may not fit properly into a truck. If you are looking for a cheap pack & don't want to go the a123 rought then you may just want to look at the truerc.net 10c 2s 8kmah pack. They run for like $80 w/ plugs & everything.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have the new ture rc cells and they fit in my losi
Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Craps
It's good to see the 15 to 20 minute electric mains break out all over the country now and including the RC Pro Series-Nitro allowing the electrics to race with the gas trucks for 30 minute mains!!!

A true test for electric powered equipment reliability and performance!!!
We just ran the first round of the North region R/C pro series last weekend. Steve Hale took 2nd in the 1/10 gas truck A-main running a Castle Creations Sidewinder equipped T4, and I took 3rd running a Castle Creations Sidewinder equipped T4. Driving an electric 1/10 scale for 30 minutes on a 1/8 scale size track is almost like work. Keeps you on your toes when you know that the slightest miscalculation on jumps that size and your broke.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MikeL.
We just ran the first round of the North region R/C pro series last weekend. Steve Hale took 2nd in the 1/10 gas truck A-main running a Castle Creations Sidewinder equipped T4, and I took 3rd running a Castle Creations Sidewinder equipped T4. Driving an electric 1/10 scale for 30 minutes on a 1/8 scale size track is almost like work. Keeps you on your toes when you know that the slightest miscalculation on jumps that size and your broke.
Congrats guys on the 2nd and 3rd, but I have to ask what won??? You guys did not let a gas truck beat you???

What kind of pit stops did they make you do or it appears you guys did battery changes? Looks like Steve led until the battery swap that takes too much time.

We did not make battery changes and used the same battery for all 30 minutes plus warm up in our race! We made simulated pit stops like a gas truck would do 3 times during the race!

Last edited by Craps; 04-27-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Thats why I decided to pick up an e-firestorm. It is the one truck that actually looks like it was designed to last a 30 minute main.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
I don't know yet. I've had too much other stuff on my plate to really spend a good weekend tuning & racing the car. Check the dimensions on those 10c packs. Truerc.net was saling loose 10c 8kmah 3.7volt cells for like $20 b4 they redid them to fit r/c cars. If they are the same pack then they may not fit properly into a truck. If you are looking for a cheap pack & don't want to go the a123 rought then you may just want to look at the truerc.net 10c 2s 8kmah pack. They run for like $80 w/ plugs & everything.
Here is a pic of the pack that goes at a buy price for about $60:

Specifications:

4-cell Lithium Polymer 8000mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack
Pack Configuration: 2S1P
Capacity: 8000mAh
Voltage: 7.4V nominal
Wire Gauge: 12
Number of Cells: 4
Maximum Continuous Discharge Rate: 10C
Maximum Burst Discharge Rate: 20C
Connector: 3-pin balancer tab
Dimensions: 45mm x 28mm x 145mm
Weight: 380 grams ( 13.5Oz)
Maximum Continuous Current: 80 Amps

The dimensions are almost identical, with the last length dimension being 5mm longer than the TrueRC pack. If the max burst rating is anything accurate, these are rated better than the TrueRC pack at the burst level (15C versus 20C). I think there listing cell configuration is wrong however. should be 2S2P I am thinking.

I am thinking of trying these if my current source doesn't get in any packs that would fit the size I need.

MikeL: For the RC Pro Series event you attend, what motors were you using with the sidewinders?
Old 04-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Craps
Congrats guys on the 2nd and 3rd, but I have to ask what won??? You guys did not let a gas truck beat you???

What kind of pit stops did they make you do or it appears you guys did battery changes? Looks like Steve led until the battery swap that takes too much time.

We did not make battery changes and used the same battery for all 30 minutes plus warm up in our race! We made simulated pit stops like a gas truck would do 3 times during the race!
Yes unfortunately we got beat by a gas truck.... Steve was in first but he tried going without swapping batteries and it died at around 18minutes or so. Cost him a bunch of time. I swapped batteries about half way through, it took forever. It was kinda weird cause with the gas trucks out there, you dont even have to drive fast. I just kept it slow and safe and they just kept flaming out and breaking. My whole goal was to see if I could make it 30 minutes and somehow I ended up in 3rd. Steve was definitely the fastest guy out there though.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeL.
Yes unfortunately we got beat by a gas truck.... Steve was in first but he tried going without swapping batteries and it died at around 18minutes or so. Cost him a bunch of time. I swapped batteries about half way through, it took forever. It was kinda weird cause with the gas trucks out there, you dont even have to drive fast. I just kept it slow and safe and they just kept flaming out and breaking. My whole goal was to see if I could make it 30 minutes and somehow I ended up in 3rd. Steve was definitely the fastest guy out there though.
What batteries were you running? I have run on the track 40 minutes+ on a 8000 mah maxamps pack.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazyjr
What batteries were you running? I have run on the track 40 minutes+ on a 8000 mah maxamps pack.
I was running 6000mah Maxamps, not sure what Steve was running. It was a learning experience for both of us.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Lot's of varibles when it comes to run time from system efficiency, motor number, battery mahs, battery quality, gearing, track size, track technical, track conditions and even the driver if he is one that blows the tires off of it on every corner is not going to get the run time a racer that is being smooth.

I have seen 2 different brand of 8000 mah batteries get different run times. Older batteries will not get as good as run time as a new one will.

Make sure every bearing in the motor, rear hubs and front hubs are oiled. Let one get dry and you have drag along with heat that is not good.

Big free flowing 1/8th scale tracks like we had in FL and the north region appeared to be a big track to that take alot more battery than a real tight small typical indoor track where you are off the gas alot.

Now at the nats they are going to run probably a 45 minute to 1 hour main, so you better get ready for that one.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

I get right around 40 minutes out of my a123 6900mah 6.6volt pack w/ a mamba 7700. If your running a hot mod then make sure that your pack can handle the current load. If your on a budget then run a mild motor so that you know your packs will not dip alot from a huge load. My pack is rated for a continous discharge of 207 amps which allows me to run a hot mod.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Congrats to Castle guys on the 2nd and 3rd in the gas race! I'll be representing Castle in a Nitro Pro Series race in Medina Ohio on May 17th. I'll fill you guys in on my results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.